Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2023, 07:22 PM

3,915 posts, read 4,498,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Yep I feel like England is the better team in this series, and Australia leading 2-1 has been been heavily reliant on England's declarations. But I think it will soon be 2-2.
Would have felt better about England's chances of winning this test if they were to chase in the fourth. That is something that Bazball has really improved for this England side. Barring a miracle in which Jimmy turns into Viv Richards and bashes a quick half century, it looks like the Ozzies will have to either chase a score just under 400, or more likely, bat out the rest of the match. Ominously for England, both Smith and Labuschagne are now in form. So is Marsh. I think they have enough horses to bat this out. I was hoping for England that they could put up a total of over 500, adding scoreboard pressure on Australia. 390 odd doesnt feel nearly as daunting. But we shall see.

Other notes: I was expecting a retirement, but it's Broad instead of Jimmy, which is ironic since Broad has had a far more successful series than Jimmy, and looks to have something left in the tank. But maybe that's the way to go, leave on your own terms instead of being pushed out as it looks like the ECB will have to do with Jimmy.

On the subject of Anderson. I think it's obvious now that you cannot have all three of Woakes, Anderson and Ollie in the same team. All bowl in that 80-85 mph range. England is just about the only place where all three can have any success, and even that has not happened for two out of the three in this series. I think you need some combination of Woakes, Wood, and one more at least fast medium guy if Archer is done for good (which I think he is at least for tests. Don't be surprised if he pulls a Tymal Mills and sticks exclusively to T20 going forward).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2023, 10:41 PM

11,036 posts, read 4,474,944 times
Austraia aren't good enough to bat for 2 days, so I'm certain it will be 2-2 BARRING RAIN.

Let's look at Australia's 2nd Innings.... and how unlikely it is that any of them will deliver:

1st Test AUS 2nd Innings, Khawaja top scored with 65, next best Cummins 44.

2nd Test AUS 2nd Innings, Khawaja top scored with 77, next best Smith 34.

3rd Test AUS 2nd Innings, Head top scored with 77, next best Khawaja 43.

4th Test AUS 2nd Innings, Labuschagne top scored with 111, next best Marsh 31 not out, Warner 28.

But can you rely on Labuschagne? He only made 9 in the 1st Innings of this 5th Test, and his Test average has been dropping like a stone....

Last edited by MAGAalot; 07-29-2023 at 10:55 PM..

Old 07-31-2023, 11:36 AM

27,643 posts, read 13,838,977 times
England Win at the Oval so it ends 2-2.

It was a controversial Test series, especially in relation to Jonny Bairstow's Lord's dismissal, whilst the weather at Old Trafford prevented what should have been an England win.

The England team can hold their head's up high, as can the Australians, with both sides providing some exciting and entertaining cricket.

Old 07-31-2023, 03:48 PM

27,643 posts, read 13,838,977 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utaky5y5Xvg

Old 08-01-2023, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
England Win at the Oval so it ends 2-2.

It was a controversial Test series, especially in relation to Jonny Bairstow's Lord's dismissal, whilst the weather at Old Trafford prevented what should have been an England win.

The England team can hold their head's up high, as can the Australians, with both sides providing some exciting and entertaining cricket.
YES! I'm glad England were able to pull out the win. I really thought that Australia honestly had an outside shot at chasing down the target after Khawaja and Warner put on 100 run partnership.
Jimmy still has me concerned. 1 wicket in the whole match. Frankly, the only reason to keep him on at this stage is so that he gets to 700 wickets. Father Time has well and truly caught up to him. No shame in that. It happens to everyone.

Old 08-02-2023, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
YES! I'm glad England were able to pull out the win. I really thought that Australia honestly had an outside shot at chasing down the target after Khawaja and Warner put on 100 run partnership.
Jimmy still has me concerned. 1 wicket in the whole match. Frankly, the only reason to keep him on at this stage is so that he gets to 700 wickets. Father Time has well and truly caught up to him. No shame in that. It happens to everyone.
Yeah, if Broad didn't retire, then Anderson would have to be dropped, because England's newbies are on FIRE.

Old 08-02-2023, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Yeah, if Broad didn't retire, then Anderson would have to be dropped, because England's newbies are on FIRE.
Well to be fair, Woakes and Wood arent exactly newbies, both have been around the block and indeed, both of them are over 30. That's probably the one dark spot for England. Their entire attack is old, and apart from Wood, will struggle to take 20 wickets outside England, and even in England if the conditions arent perfect. Plus, it looks like Stokes is probably best suited to be primarily a batsman, who maybe bowls occasionally. The days of him bowling 20 overs are probably done.

Also not sure what's going to happen on the spin front. Moeen is retiring, Leach isnt a spring chicken either. So there's that to worry about. Now the batting on the other hand, looks fabolous. Ollie, Brook and Crawley all look to have another decade in the team.

Old 08-02-2023, 09:18 AM

4,357 posts, read 1,596,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Well to be fair, Woakes and Wood arent exactly newbies, both have been around the block and indeed, both of them are over 30.

Now the batting on the other hand, looks fabolous. Ollie, Brook and Crawley all look to have another decade in the team.
Agreed. Probably looking at Tongue, Potts, Fisher - maybe Stone and Archer if they can ever get fit in the bowling department. Robinson has a clear issue with being able to last a five match series, his speeds had dropped below Anderson. Don't forget Sam Curran too, a much needed left-armer.

Without the rain at Old Trafford, it would have been a 3-2 England win, but I feel as though 2-2 was an accurate result really.

Old 08-03-2023, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
Agreed. Probably looking at Tongue, Potts, Fisher - maybe Stone and Archer if they can ever get fit in the bowling department. Robinson has a clear issue with being able to last a five match series, his speeds had dropped below Anderson. Don't forget Sam Curran too, a much needed left-armer.

Without the rain at Old Trafford, it would have been a 3-2 England win, but I feel as though 2-2 was an accurate result really.
Yep with Wood, Woakes, Tongue, Robinson, Archer, all better than most opening bowlers in the world, England's depth is so great they don't need anyone to last a whole series. And for spin, Root has bowled superbly.

Old 08-03-2023, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Yep with Wood, Woakes, Tongue, Robinson, Archer, all better than most opening bowlers in the world, England's depth is so great they don't need anyone to last a whole series. And for spin, Root has bowled superbly.
Wood has struggled to say healthy throughout his career. I dont see that getting any better as he hits his mid thirties.
I honestly wouldnt be surprised if Archer decides to go the T20 only route.
I still think Woakes, Tongue and Robinson are all "horses for courses" type bowlers. Good to use only on certain pitches.
Stokes is also in his thirties now. It's clear the strain of being a top 6 bat and bowling 20 overs an innings has taken a toll on his body. I think he now plays only as a batsman.
Someone mentioned Curran earlier. He's to me a bits and pieces player. Yes he's a left armer which helps, but he needs help on the bowling front, but he's not good enough to be a top 6 bat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports