Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2023, 09:17 AM

4,332 posts, read 1,581,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Yes they did. Glad they got the W.
Now the million dollar question: keep the same squad? which means Jimmy sits out the next game and potentially even the last one as well if they win Test 4. Have we just seen the end of his career without realizing it?
I think Anderson comes in for Robinson who was struggling with a back injury. Hopefully it's a pitch that does a little bit, like Headingley. If England win at Old Trafford and Headingley it's really going to make the ECB's decision to not have any Ashes tests at those venues next time around even more stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2023, 09:02 PM

10,952 posts, read 4,428,939 times
Australia only lead because of England's declaration....

Old 07-18-2023, 08:37 AM

4,332 posts, read 1,581,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Australia only lead because of England's declaration....
And because we couldn't get their last two wickets. Swings and roundabouts.

Old 07-22-2023, 03:11 AM

Yeah, but England not getting those final 2 wickets wasn't a mistake.
Declaring in the 1st Innings when you are scoring so fast, is a mistake.
But Stokes has been so brilliant in this series, and if England win the series (which they most likely will) then Stokes is the biggest reason why.
And if Australia win the series, then Stokes is the biggest reason why, because of that declaration that made it possible for Australia to win the 1st Test.

Old 07-22-2023, 03:55 PM

3,891 posts, read 4,477,848 times
Well, looks like Labuschagne won the Ashes for Australia with his century. With the weather wiping out days of play, now looks highly unlikely that England will have enough time to knock off the remaining wickets and get the runs in time. So to MAGA's point, that early declaration in the first test will most likely be the deciding reason why England lost the series.

A few other points:
The vaunted Aussie pace attack has looked distinctly vulnerable several times during this series. Cummins desperately needs a break, he's played every test in this series and it's starting to show. Hazlewood, Starc and Boland have had their moments but I think it's safe to say that the England batsmen are not losing any sleep over them. If anything, it's been the loss of Lyons that has proven to be the difference maker.

This just might be it for Jimmy. After a poor showing earlier on in the series, he's taken 1 wicket in this test. If he cant take wickets at his home ground, then what else is there? Woakes was a has been, but has come in and clearly surpassed Anderson in the pecking order.

Allegedly Stokes begged Moeen to make a comeback for the Ashes. I'm not sure why. He's clearly lost it as a bowler. I know Leach and others were injured but this has to be his last series. He can go back to the T20 hit and giggle he loves so much.

Old 07-23-2023, 02:30 PM

27,474 posts, read 13,702,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Well, looks like Labuschagne won the Ashes for Australia with his century. With the weather wiping out days of play, now looks highly unlikely that England will have enough time to knock off the remaining wickets and get the runs in time. So to MAGA's point, that early declaration in the first test will most likely be the deciding reason why England lost the series.

A few other points:
The vaunted Aussie pace attack has looked distinctly vulnerable several times during this series. Cummins desperately needs a break, he's played every test in this series and it's starting to show. Hazlewood, Starc and Boland have had their moments but I think it's safe to say that the England batsmen are not losing any sleep over them. If anything, it's been the loss of Lyons that has proven to be the difference maker.

This just might be it for Jimmy. After a poor showing earlier on in the series, he's taken 1 wicket in this test. If he cant take wickets at his home ground, then what else is there? Woakes was a has been, but has come in and clearly surpassed Anderson in the pecking order.

Allegedly Stokes begged Moeen to make a comeback for the Ashes. I'm not sure why. He's clearly lost it as a bowler. I know Leach and others were injured but this has to be his last series. He can go back to the T20 hit and giggle he loves so much.
There's still the Oval test to go, so England could square the series and claim a draw.

A draw would mean Australia retain the Ashes but it would not be a win.

I think a draw may be a fair result, given some of the controversy and given that both teams played some good cricket and circumstances could have been different if it were not for factors such as the weather.

Old 07-26-2023, 05:06 AM

2-2 is called a tied series, not a draw.
Maybe you could call a series with 0-0 result a draw, but I don't recall if they call it that either.

Old 07-26-2023, 05:08 AM

Old 07-29-2023, 03:52 AM

27,474 posts, read 13,702,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
2-2 is called a tied series, not a draw.
Maybe you could call a series with 0-0 result a draw, but I don't recall if they call it that either.
You can call it a tied series or a draw and a retention of the Ashes, it really doesn't matter that much.

In terms of the 2023 Ashes it has been far closer than the results suggest and could have realistically gone either way, even the last test has been tight.

The 2023 Ashes will be remembered for a lot of controversy rather than anything else.

‘Tough pill to swallow’: Stokes rues rain after Australia retain Ashes with draw - The Guardian (23rd July 2023)

Old 07-29-2023, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
You can call it a tied series or a draw and a retention of the Ashes, it really doesn't matter that much.

In terms of the 2023 Ashes it has been far closer than the results suggest and could have realistically gone either way, even the last test has been tight.

The 2023 Ashes will be remembered for a lot of controversy rather than anything else.

‘Tough pill to swallow’: Stokes rues rain after Australia retain Ashes with draw - The Guardian (23rd July 2023)
Yep I feel like England is the better team in this series, and Australia leading 2-1 has been been heavily reliant on England's declarations. But I think it will soon be 2-2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports