Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 10:02 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Give me trap shooting and the Keiran and Judo.
I am very disappointed they took out my favorite sport to watch: Sumo wrestling--it fascinated me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 11:05 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,049,263 times
The USA is always on the top so Americans lost interest.
Other countries may be different. South Koreans want to beat Japanese. British want to beat French etc.

Old 08-07-2016, 11:36 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I am very disappointed they took out my favorite sport to watch: Sumo wrestling--it fascinated me!
sorry, sumo has never has been part of the Olympics......a sport that the US has dominated, tho admittedly they were the only ones that ever had a team entered
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer...Olympic_sports

maybe you're thinking of croquet
(from wiki, 1904 Olympics)

Last edited by Ghengis; 08-07-2016 at 11:45 AM..

Old 08-07-2016, 03:22 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Why not do it? It's a great thing that brings the world together. If you don't like it, change the channel.

Maybe it should just stay in Greece where it was invented. Hold it in the same place every 4 years and just keep improving the facilities until they're mindblowingly awesome.

There's always politics, even in the Olympics. Some people just can't leave it at home. I read yesterday that a Lebanese delegation refused to let some Israelis on their bus. Classy, Lebanon; as if they're going to win any medals.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:02 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
sorry, sumo has never has been part of the Olympics......a sport that the US has dominated, tho admittedly they were the only ones that ever had a team entered
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer...Olympic_sports

maybe you're thinking of croquet
(from wiki, 1904 Olympics)
Oddly I remember watching it when the Olympics were on--so I have no idea why a competition was going on at the time. I do find sumo wrestling fascinating. As I find curling fascinating

No, I am not thinking of croquet---why would I confuse croquet with sumo wrestling???!!

Anyways---I do enjoy the Olympics. Odd because I am not a sports person. As a previous poster said, it brings the world together in a good way. We certainly need some good things going on.

I love when the underdog wins. I love seeing the joy in their faces.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:46 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,006,175 times
I don't care about the Olympics. I don't watch the Olympics. This event seems like a left over from an earlier time in history.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:59 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
No. Anything that can bring countries together for something positive is good.

Somebody's making money out of it? Who cares? Not the Athletes. Might as well say all college sports should be disbanded if you think there is something wrong with Olympic competition.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:19 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,049,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theedgeoflight View Post
I don't care about the Olympics. I don't watch the Olympics. This event seems like a left over from an earlier time in history.
But only in America so many people do not care about the Olympic games at all. Do not assume it is the norm in the world.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:34 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
I don't think the Olympics itself as a sporting event and concept is necessarily a waste.

The Olympics has a long and rich tradition, tracing its roots all the way back to the ancient times. The Olympics has also been a part of some very important world events including the 1936 Berlin games. Some of the greatest athlete's the world has ever known has competed in the games.

Winning an Olympic medal is still very prestigious in my eyes, and something many athlete's strive for. After all, if Usain Bolt never won an Olympic gold, he would never be considered the greatest sprinter who ever lived, even if he set many world records and won multiple World Championships.

So no, I don't think it's a wasted concept at all.

That said, I think the sport is festering with bloated corruption that lines the pockets of the IOC fat cats. They make these cities spend ungodly amounts of money to build venues and host events, and after the games these buildings go unused.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:24 PM

597 posts, read 666,283 times
It's become unwieldy and too commercial, but I still like it for the most part. I agree that if the Olympics isn't the pinnacle of your sport (golf, tennis, for example), then it shouldn't be in the Olympics. I LOVE getting to see sports like indoor volleyball and road cycling and track. I loathe the coverage in the USA which is banal, prepackaged, often tape-delayed (even when the time zone allows for live coverage), incomplete, and run into the ground with ads, "hosts", and tons of "human interest" stories, which we've seen a billion times. I know, I know, there are a lot of casual Olympics sports fans who like that stuff, but for someone who wants to see the as much competition as possible, it's awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports