Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 03:23 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
60,000 people live in Greenland. The Greenland national handball team has beaten the US national handball team in at least seven of the last nine games for both the men's and the women's teams. Do you think that Greenland is cheating at handball?
^my BS Meter is clanging
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 05:36 AM

553 posts, read 616,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
^my BS Meter is clanging
I can't find the specific matches cited, but a quick search through the history of USA handball shows that our team is not very good. We haven't qualified for a world tournament (Olympics or the biennial World Championships) since 2001, and even in that one, we finished dead freaking last. We've even failed to qualify for the Pan American Games and Pan Am Championships in recent times. The last time we finished ahead of Greenland in the Pan American Championships was in 2000.

(Edit: The above is for the men's team, but the women's team has been similarly bad.)

Old 08-22-2016, 07:23 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber123rd View Post
I can't find the specific matches cited, but a quick search through the history of USA handball shows that our team is not very good. We haven't qualified for a world tournament (Olympics or the biennial World Championships) since 2001, and even in that one, we finished dead freaking last. We've even failed to qualify for the Pan American Games and Pan Am Championships in recent times. The last time we finished ahead of Greenland in the Pan American Championships was in 2000.

(Edit: The above is for the men's team, but the women's team has been similarly bad.)

my apologies to the OP

this is an outrage!

We need to immediately fund a congressional hearing into this to demand accountability from the US Handball Association and then chop off their heads. Funds need to be set aside to establish men's women's and youth handball organization to achieve world dominance before the next Olympics.

and ping pong and badminton too!

Old 08-23-2016, 12:48 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,101,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Kenya does have their share of doping scandals, especially lately. I can tolerate them though. They have a long history of top notch runners & their runners are almost always graceful & humble.

Substitute Jamaica for Kenya on what you wrote above, & that's how I feel about Jamaica.

The population of Jamaica is 2.7 million. That's about a 1/3 the size of London, yet they have the pool to produce tremendous 4x1 and 4x4 relays for men and women plus top level 100, 200, 400 & hurdle runners?? Medalists & top level contenders such as Thompson, Bolt, Shelly Ann Fraser Price, Blake, Jackson, McLeod, Tracey, Nugent. Where were the Jamaican runners & medals prior to Beijing? They suspiciously came on extremely strong as a country.

After the London olympics 5 Jamaicans were busted for doping including Asafa Powell. The senior drug tester for Jamaica said it was the "tip of the iceberg."
Jamaica doping scandals tip of iceberg, says senior drug tester - BBC Sport

Many were wondering if Bolt would be next. But nothing. Silence. An iceberg somehow disappeared??

Like you said above about Kenya, I think the IAAF is scared of Jamaica. They draw crowds, interest, money & break records. It's a low interest sport & for the last 9 days there was actually interest from the general public in track & field. IAAF knows there wouldn't have been as much interest if Bolt & the other Jamaicans weren't present.
Anything is possible...please note that Jamaica has always done well at sprinting...take a look at the history of the Penn Relays and you will see Jamaican high schools dominating to the point that rules were changed and Jamaican high schools now participate in a special class...Jamaica didn't start dominating at the international level until several doping scandals rocked American athletics...Merlene Ottey of Jamaica would always get the bronze medal in the 80's behind an American and an East German (wink-wink)...even Carl Lewis failed a test

I say that to say that if Jamaica is now doping then Jamaica is now finally playing on an even playing field

Old 08-23-2016, 02:39 PM

4,666 posts, read 3,861,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post

I say that to say that if Jamaica is now doping then Jamaica is now finally playing on an even playing field
Could very well be true.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:41 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,049,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Keeth View Post
No. I didn't.
You did. Period

Old 08-23-2016, 07:28 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,086,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
You did. Period
Wrong again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports