Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 04:17 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,558,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latino_esq View Post
Why should I care about Allen Iverson's personal life or what the SMU Mustangs did 20-30 years ago?
Because it all has Bering on what goes on today in sports.
SMU's football program got one of the worst penalties in the history of sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 11:35 PM

451 posts, read 563,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Because it all has Bering on what goes on today in sports.
SMU's football program got one of the worst penalties in the history of sports.
Yea but this all goes back to my original premise that these stories have no bearing on society outside of sports. What is it about these particular series that have any impact on the average person outside that sporting circle? Nothing. I doubt the average person in their respective communities could care less about the stories behind AI or SMU.

The Two Escobars however was about how sports transcended and related into the community and how the drug wars in Columbia was related. Chavez Ravine talked about a community which was displaced by building Dodger Stadium yet how Fernandomania brought the community back together. Dupree being about how his hometown broke through racial barriers due to his superb play.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latino_esq View Post
Yea but this all goes back to my original premise that these stories have no bearing on society outside of sports. What is it about these particular series that have any impact on the average person outside that sporting circle? Nothing. I doubt the average person in their respective communities could care less about the stories behind AI or SMU.

The Two Escobars however was about how sports transcended and related into the community and how the drug wars in Columbia was related. Chavez Ravine talked about a community which was displaced by building Dodger Stadium yet how Fernandomania brought the community back together. Dupree being about how his hometown broke through racial barriers due to his superb play.
I lot of innocent people lost their jobs in the SMU scandal.
A whole community was rock to its core.
So IMO it did transcend sports.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:26 AM

Did anybody watch Maurice Clarett 30 for 30 this past weekend?
I think Jim Tressel let this kid down!

30 for 30 Youngstown Boys -Clarett's First Game - YouTube

Old 12-21-2013, 03:03 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,309,160 times
Default Nope

Quote:
Huge Buckeye fan here! At the time of incident, I was devastated, because I had been waiting all of my life for a NC then this happened and he was suspended.

Watching the episode. For the car incident, was MC totally forthright in the 30/30 series. I ask because I think Tressel knew he lost control of the kid. I wonder if he was truly a stay a home football player. Plus, we all know that Tressel was shady...by the way, I am fine with that because countless other coaches are doing the same thing {pick a coach}. Tressel is only a football coach.

There are still many questions and I could point the finger at many people. Personally, I blame MC, he was a man acting like a child. MC had a full ride to "The Ohio State" and side benefits if he would have learned to keep quiet...yes, College Football is corrupt. Countless athletes learned the system so why did MC lose it.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:59 AM

16,283 posts, read 10,427,990 times
I was a huge fan of the original series and saw all of them. The only one that wasn't great was the one with Martina and Chris Everett. Agreed the Marcus DuPree story was near the top of the list as was the one on Len Bias for me.

I have no idea why someone would not find the SMU story fascinating. They were the top dog in college football, it would be as if Alabama were to get the Death Penalty and disappear from the college football landscape for 30 years. That would not be a story?

I've seen a few of the new series. Seen the Valvano one a few times, I must have backed up and re-watched the highlights of that Phi Slamma Jamma team a dozen times. I saw a few others and they were OK, not memorable and not nearly as good as the original series.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:15 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,541,530 times
Quote:

30 for 30 Youngstown Boys -Clarett's First Game - YouTube
How did Tressel let him down?

Old 12-23-2013, 03:14 PM

109 posts, read 143,924 times
As an Ohio born and raised member here no way did Tressel let Clarett down. If anything Clarett let himself, his teammates and their coaching staff down.

He was a 5 year old in a 20 year old body. Living close to Columbus he was known as a cry baby and one who was a trouble maker.

So once he got canned off the team was it Tressels fault he continued to be a scam artist and blew what could have been a decent career in the NFL?

Sometimes you have to stop blaming others for your mistakes and Clarett never grew up even at 30 when he got himself into more issues.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:57 PM

43 posts, read 61,113 times
I liked the Pony Excess one

Old 12-26-2013, 08:22 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,937,594 times
Haven't seen them all but the Two Escobars, and Once Brothers (Petrovic & Divac) were pretty hard hitting I thought.

Liked many others including Marcus Dupree, Kings Ransom (first w Gretzky), June 17, 1994, The U and Pony excess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports