Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 11:07 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,188,270 times

Advertisements

I saw an informative Canadian documentary (Lance Armstrong: Master of Spin) last week. Armstrong deserves no sympathy at all. The guy is a lying bully. I feel sorry for all the people who supported him. They are now tainted by his lies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 07:16 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Zero sympathy from this quarter.

I still don't think the light has gone off in his brain.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:26 PM

462 posts, read 427,533 times
Sympathy for a guy who lied for years a guy who lied to advance his own personal agenda while attempting to destroy the lives of people who tried to out him? Nah, brah.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:36 PM

I think we should be more sympathetic for Bonds more so than Armstrong. Here's why: Bonds was a relatively clean player, HOF player before he allegedly juiced. But, according to many, Bonds doped because everything he accomplished in the game up until that point was being overshadowed by other players he knew were doping.

That's how bad the era was. Nobody was seriously trying to stop it. It's sad that the best player in the sport at that time felt the need to cheat in order to keep up.

Bonds shouldn't be the face of the "Steroid Era." Those who dropped the ball in terms of failing to be proactive about preventing rampant drug use should be. Then he becomes the scapegoat? Ha!

Old 01-26-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Any comments?
Stop trying to make athletes, college or pro, heroes in the first place. For that matter, stop making any public figure a hero. Humans are fallible.

And if you buy into the bull**** they're peddling, then you have no one else to blame but yourself after you're duped again.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:34 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Sorry but even good people do bad things. They make mistakes.
Well if people aren't defined as good or bad based on their actions, then I guess nobody can be a "bad person". Sorry but this is nothing but rose colored glasses with regards to Lance Armstrong.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:40 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild100s View Post
I think we should be more sympathetic for Bonds more so than Armstrong. Here's why: Bonds was a relatively clean player, HOF player before he allegedly juiced. But, according to many, Bonds doped because everything he accomplished in the game up until that point was being overshadowed by other players he knew were doping.

That's how bad the era was. Nobody was seriously trying to stop it. It's sad that the best player in the sport at that time felt the need to cheat in order to keep up.

Bonds shouldn't be the face of the "Steroid Era." Those who dropped the ball in terms of failing to be proactive about preventing rampant drug use should be. Then he becomes the scapegoat? Ha!
You should know that Bonds is basically a nasty person. In Chicago, there is a popular retired baseball player named Ron Kittle who occassionaly shows up to Comiskey (now US Cellular Field) to ask players to sign jerseys to be auctioned for charity. Bonds is the only person that turned him down and when I asked why, he said he doesn't sign stuff for white people.

This is the same Barry Bonds that grew up rich because his dad was a star baseball player, mostly lived in white neighborhoods, dated mostly white women, and had mostly white friends (one of which spent a year in jail by refusing to testify against Bonds in front of the grand jury).

I don't have a lot of sympathy for him. At least Lance tried to help sick people.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:07 AM

Lance Armstrong didn't try to help sick people out of the goodness of his heart. He did it to advance his own personal agenda, to build a brand, and make himself an icon. A lot of the money that was raised and donated to Livestrong was not used for its advertised purpose. An investigation revealed that.

If you mean helping sick people by lying to them about overcoming cancer and winning the Tour De France through hard work and clean living, then you are right.

That jerk is the biggest scumbag ever. This cat literally tried to end careers and ruin lives to keep his little secret. But at least he tried to help sick people? Spare me the B.S.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:08 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
Interesting article about doping and how increasingly hard it is to detect - in Smithsonian mag a few months ago:

The Top Athletes Looking for an Edge and the Scientists Trying to Stop Them | Science & Nature | Smithsonian Magazine

Old 02-24-2013, 02:16 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
I have ZERO sympathy for him. He cheated. He lied. He got other people in trouble for his lies. He deserves what he gets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports