Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2008, 12:59 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,760,710 times

Advertisements

So, some rumors have been circling around lately that, at 36, Armstrong might be looking to make a comeback for the 2009 Tour De France (as well as the Tour of California, Tour of Georgia, Dauphine-Libere, and Paris-Nice. Team Astana (the latest incarnation of Postal/Discovery, directed by Johan), however, says that they have no plans to include Lance in the 2009 team, so it could just be just a rumor.

Any thoughts? I'm kind of mixed on the issue. For one, it seems as there has been poor competition lately (perhaps as a result of all the scandals), but on the other, if he loses, he couldn't retire as champion. Either way, I doubt it will actually happen, but watching the last couple of Tours, I couldn't but thinking "wow, Lance would obliterate these guys."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 06:38 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,995,387 times
I'm sick of all these athletes retiring for a year or two.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:02 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,029,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
So, some rumors have been circling around lately that, at 36, Armstrong might be looking to make a comeback for the 2009 Tour De France (as well as the Tour of California, Tour of Georgia, Dauphine-Libere, and Paris-Nice. Team Astana (the latest incarnation of Postal/Discovery, directed by Johan), however, says that they have no plans to include Lance in the 2009 team, so it could just be just a rumor.

Any thoughts? I'm kind of mixed on the issue. For one, it seems as there has been poor competition lately (perhaps as a result of all the scandals), but on the other, if he loses, he couldn't retire as champion. Either way, I doubt it will actually happen, but watching the last couple of Tours, I couldn't but thinking "wow, Lance would obliterate these guys."

I would think that on Astana that Lance would be a domestique with Levi and Contador on the team. I couldnt imagine Lance leading with the way Levi and Contador are riding.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:03 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,029,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
I'm sick of all these athletes retiring for a year or two.

Why? They only have so long to do what they do before their bodies will not allow them to compete anymore. If you are an athlete and have that competitive drive then it is hard to say good bye.

Most professional athletes have to take anti-depressants and have coping issues once they retire. So if they determine that they stepped away prematurely then I have no issues with them coming back.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:40 PM

1,240 posts, read 2,245,759 times
Lance Favre...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports