Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 12:31 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times

Advertisements

Which athlete do you think suffered the greater fall in his sport? Tiger Woods or Lance Armstrong

I think Lance's fall is greater for two reasons, 1) His fall is completely related to his sport and 2) I think Lance and seven straight TDF victories is more of an accomplishment than Tiger's golf accomplishments.

Tiger's fall was related to his personal life - however it may have ruined his golf game??? Either that or it is a coincidence he hasn't been the same golfer since is personal problems started.

Side note: Any other famous athletes fall in magnitude to these guys? Maybe Mike Tyson?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 12:55 PM

78,438 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Which athlete do you think suffered the greater fall in his sport? Tiger Woods or Lance Armstrong

I think Lance's fall is greater for two reasons, 1) His fall is completely related to his sport and 2) I think Lance and seven straight TDF victories is more of an accomplishment than Tiger's golf accomplishments.

Tiger's fall was related to his personal life - however it may have ruined his golf game??? Either that or it is a coincidence he hasn't been the same golfer since is personal problems started.

Side note: Any other famous athletes fall in magnitude to these guys? Maybe Mike Tyson?
Lance by a mile.

Tiger, has already won 3 tournaments in 2012 and is #2 on the money list. His current world rank is #2.

He did worse in the majors back in 2003 and 2004 than he has the last 3 years, so while he is working through some injuries he is still one of the top golfers in the world....just not at the legendary level he once was. I wouldn't be shocked for him to pop out a couple more major wins. Remember, there are some great golfers that have never won a major.

Tiger Woods - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-22-2012, 01:01 PM

78,438 posts, read 60,640,522 times
For truly famous athletes that have fallen a long way....nobody touches OJ....not even close.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:32 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Which athlete do you think suffered the greater fall in his sport? Tiger Woods or Lance Armstrong?
Given the two choices, I have to go with Tiger. His fall from the pedestal happened while still active in the sport and despite his current record or standing he still has not regained his position in the public or the sports eye.

Lance on the other hand has been in his second retirement for sometime and the dopping scandal just seems, at least to me, as so much water under the bridge... rather anti-climatic actually. But that's just my opinion.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:53 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,804,296 times
They both had different falls. Tiger's was for his personal life and Lance's was for his sport. I will look at this from a sports perspective and say Lance has easily had the bigger fall. He has been stripped of his titles and his career is forever tarnished.

Tiger on the other hand is still free to play golf and not have anyone question his abilities and his past successes. He did not cheat in golf, he just cheated in his personal life. Big difference when we're talking about just sports.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:09 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,850,606 times
Tiger done what plenty of men, and women for that matter, have always done. Yes it is wrong for a superstar sportsman to do but Lance is on a whole new level. People will forgive Tiger in time, Lance will be reviled for generations, and rightly so.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:09 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,140,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Tiger done what plenty of men, and women for that matter, have always done. Yes it is wrong for a superstar sportsman to do but Lance is on a whole new level. People will forgive Tiger in time, Lance will be reviled for generations, and rightly so.

What do people need to forgive Tiger for? The only person that Tiger needs forgiven from is his family.

Lance's fall not only taints himself but his entire sport ... something like a Barry Bonds.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:47 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,492,660 times
It's worse than Bonds imo. Bonds was an absolute stud in his sport before he allegedly began steroid use. From what I've read Lance was heavy into this in the early 90s so essentially his whole career was a fraud. I believe Bonds would be an first ballot HOF'er w/out roids.

As far as this subject goes comparing Tiger and Lance, it is not close. The answer is Lance Armstrong.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:34 PM

352 posts, read 1,005,013 times
Lance, by far. As you said, his fall is directly related to his sport.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:05 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,333,001 times
Lance, without hesitation. Tiger still gets to keep his millions (after alimony and child support).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports