Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 07:47 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times

Advertisements

What are the differences? Which is better to live? Better for jobs? Weather? Location? Anything else?

Old 04-13-2011, 07:55 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
What are the differences? Which is better to live? Better for jobs? Weather? Location? Anything else?
For jobs, it would be Greenville but everything else goes to Charleston. It's in a fantastic location, better scenery, weather, etc. It's got a beautiful downtown with nice historical buildings. It's my favorite city in the Southeast.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:55 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
This isn't fair.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
This isn't fair.
You'd be surprised. People in the Carolinas hold Greenville in high regard. It has a decent downtown, but people from the area love it...but ya from a national comparison this is not far.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:21 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
Charleston is way too touristy for me and I come from Orlando. Obviously, Orlando's tourists stay out of our downtown and city streets and limit themselves to the attractions area unlike Charleston's in which you see them on cheesy but fun ghost tours, horse carriage tours, duck tours, at the market, in your restaurants, ahhhhhhhhhh!!!! So yeah I lived in Spartanburg for a very long year and Greenville was my only salvation. Neat shops, cute DT with life, it was great. For me I loved being close to the mountains but dreaded the drive to the coast.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Charleston is way too touristy for me and I come from Orlando. Obviously, Orlando's tourists stay out of our downtown and city streets and limit themselves to the attractions area unlike Charleston's in which you see them on cheesy but fun ghost tours, horse carriage tours, duck tours, at the market, in your restaurants, ahhhhhhhhhh!!!! So yeah I lived in Spartanburg for a very long year and Greenville was my only salvation. Neat shops, cute DT with life, it was great. For me I loved being close to the mountains but dreaded the drive to the coast.
It seems like Charleston is a place to visit and Greenville is a better place to live? Too bad Greenville wasn't located where Columbia is. The drive to the beach and mountains would be more reasonable.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
It seems like Charleston is a place to visit and Greenville is a better place to live? Too bad Greenville wasn't located where Columbia is. The drive to the beach and mountains would be more reasonable.
Ugh, Columbia is not where you want to be haha.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:03 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,856,042 times
Quote:
Too bad Greenville wasn't located where Columbia is. The drive to the beach and mountains would be more reasonable.
You're kidding right? Greenville is in a geographically beautiful area with the mountains "in your face". Columbia is in the mostly flat, hot, geographically boring midlands....eeek.

I'm not originally from Greenville, but I found it, fell in love and moved to Greenville.

For your comparison both have positives and negatives:
- For an urban vibe and beautiful architecture, Charleston wins, though Greenville does have a great downtown.
- For business, Greenville wins, though Charleston is up and coming with the likes of Boeing.
- For schools (K-12), Greenville wins.
- For colleges, Charleston wins.
- For shopping, Charleston wins with King Street, though Greenville has been up and coming with Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Apple, REI, etc.
- For weather, I have to say Greenville wins....more a 4 true season type weather. I think the biggest weather related issue for me are the bugs/mosquitoes....in Charleston, mosquitoes will eat you alive.
- Cost of living, similar in all regards except housing prices, which are much higher in Charleston.
- Transportation. Equal. Southwest Airlines just started service in both cities. Major interstates for both.
- Medical, Charleston wins, as it has the huge Medical University of SC.
- People, both have friendly people. Charleston tips a bit more with old Southern money....Greenville tips a bit more with new money and European businessmen (thanks to BMW, Michelin, Bosch, ZF, etc).

In the end, I don't think you could go wrong with either. It really depends more on what you want.

Last edited by gsupstate; 04-14-2011 at 02:14 PM..

Old 04-14-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
You're kidding right? Greenville is in a geographically beautiful area with the mountains "in your face". Columbia is in the mostly flat, hot, geographically boring midlands....eeek.

I'm not originally from Greenville, but I found it, fell in love and moved to Greenville.

For your comparison both have positives and negatives:
- For an urban vibe and beautiful architecture, Charleston wins, though Greenville does have a great downtown.
- For business, Greenville wins, though Charleston is up and coming with the likes of Boeing.
- For schools (K-12), Greenville wins.
- For colleges, Charleston wins.
- For shopping, Charleston wins with King Street, though Greenville has been up and coming with Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Apple, REI, etc.
- For weather, I have to say Greenville wins....more a 4 true season type weather. I think the biggest weather related issue for me are the bugs/mosquitoes....in Charleston, mosquitoes will eat you alive.
- Cost of living, similar in all regards except housing prices, which are much higher in Charleston.
- Transportation. Equal. Southwest Airlines just started service in both cities. Major interstates for both.
- Medical, Charleston wins, as it has the huge Medical University of SC.
- People, both have friendly people. Charleston tips a bit more with old Southern money....Greenville tips a bit more with new money and European businessmen (thanks to BMW, Michelin, Bosch, ZF, etc).

In the end, I don't think you could go wrong with either. It really depends more on what you want.
I love Greenville from what I've researched. The downtown is awesome. I'm going to visit there in the near future. I may just have to sacrifice the beach. That's the only setback. I was thinking more Summerville if I chose Charleston.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:54 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
Quote:
I love Greenville from what I've researched. The downtown is awesome. I'm going to visit there in the near future. I may just have to sacrifice the beach. That's the only setback. I was thinking more Summerville if I chose Charleston.
Quote:
Well I'd never want to lump Charleston into that category but no joke, you will see lots of tourists downtown unlike Greenville. Summerville is nice, just far out and feels it. My soon to be mother -in-law lives there and loves it. I agree that Columbia and it's location are not preferable but I know what you mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina