Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2022, 06:33 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
* Apple have joined the race to buy Manchester United, according to reports

* CEO Tim Cook is reportedly interested in explore the possibility of a purchase

* The Glazers announced their intention to sell the Old Trafford club this week

Manchester Utd fans react with delight to Apple's rumoured £5.8bn bid for their club which is 'amount they make in a week' and even start imagining what new badge would look like - Daily Mail

Manchester United and Liverpool: Will sales of Premier League clubs turn into bidding war? - Sky Sports
This kind of makes no sense. I don’t see how this helps create AppleTV content unless they think they will eventually out-bid Comcast/NBC for EPL broadcast rights in the US. I’m dubious about their MLS involvement as a strategy to build up an AppleTV customer base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2022, 05:25 AM

After watching the Blackburn Rovers get crushed at Burnley in the derby and then play poorly at home against Preston North End in that derby, the Rovers put together a stronger game at Norwich and won 0-2. They have a League Cup match with Forest on Wednesday night where I’m expecting them to play reserves. They’re in third place with three Championship League fixtures Christmas week so it would be irresponsible to play their starting XI when the objective for the season is promotion.

Championship. All the teams are inconsistent and a bottom of the table team can beat a top of the table team. Halfway through the season, there is only 10 points between top-6 and the promotion playoffs; and relegation. Burnley and Sheffield United look likely to get promotion but half the league could end up with the third slot.

Old 12-19-2022, 05:52 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,158,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This kind of makes no sense. I don’t see how this helps create AppleTV content unless they think they will eventually out-bid Comcast/NBC for EPL broadcast rights in the US. I’m dubious about their MLS involvement as a strategy to build up an AppleTV customer base.
I do not know that it is all about AppleTV. Premier League clubs return profits. The Man U name is hugely popular and profitable.

Old 12-19-2022, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
I do not know that it is all about AppleTV. Premier League clubs return profits. The Man U name is hugely popular and profitable.
Apple has $99,803 billion in net income for 2022. Comparatively, Manchester United is a really lousy return on capital. The only way it makes sense is if Apple wants to leverage international football as Apple TV content. I pay an absurd amount to stream English Premier League. $40/month to stream USA Newton Sling plus $5/month to stream Peacock is the cheapest way. I am paying $55/month to YouTube TV now because I wanted Fox for World Cup. I’ll be canceling that and turning Sling back on the next time Liverpool is on USA Network. I’d pay Apple $500/year to supply EPL Football.

Old 12-19-2022, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Apple has $99,803 billion in net income for 2022. Comparatively, Manchester United is a really lousy return on capital. The only way it makes sense is if Apple wants to leverage international football as Apple TV content. I pay an absurd amount to stream English Premier League. $40/month to stream USA Newton Sling plus $5/month to stream Peacock is the cheapest way. I am paying $55/month to YouTube TV now because I wanted Fox for World Cup. I’ll be canceling that and turning Sling back on the next time Liverpool is on USA Network. I’d pay Apple $500/year to supply EPL Football.
Wow, that is a lot of money. Its crazy how much it costs to follow this sport.

Old 12-22-2022, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Wow, that is a lot of money. Its crazy how much it costs to follow this sport.
It’s the evil Comcast. Owner of NBC-Universal. They force anyone in the US who wants to see all the EPL matches to take a cable video product to keep people from cutting the cord. There is no cheap way to stream the USA Network.

Speaking of money, I was just reading that the NFL does US$10 billion per year in television revenue and the EPL does €7 billion. The NFL is 32 teams so EPL teams average more television revenue per team than NFL teams. The article was someone from Barcelona complaining that the EPL needs to be stopped because the Spanish league only does €1.7 billion in television revenue and can’t compete for players. It was in the context of justifying the super league.

The Manchester City-Liverpool Carabao Cup match today was a good watch. 5 goals. A very open game.

As expected, Blackburn played a bunch of kids against Forest and lost their Carabao Cup match badly. They’re at Sunderland on Boxing Day. 7:30 EST on ESPN+. I imagine Sunderland will have their usual 30,000 attendance.

Old 12-22-2022, 07:21 PM

Quote:
It’s the evil Comcast. Owner of NBC-Universal. They force anyone in the US who wants to see all the EPL matches to take a cable video product to keep people from cutting the cord. There is no cheap way to stream the USA Network.

Speaking of money, I was just reading that the NFL does US$10 billion per year in television revenue and the EPL does €7 billion. The NFL is 32 teams so EPL teams average more television revenue per team than NFL teams. The article was someone from Barcelona complaining that the EPL needs to be stopped because the Spanish league only does €1.7 billion in television revenue and can’t compete for players. It was in the context of justifying the super league.

The Manchester City-Liverpool Carabao Cup match today was a good watch. 5 goals. A very open game.

As expected, Blackburn played a bunch of kids against Forest and lost their Carabao Cup match badly. They’re at Sunderland on Boxing Day. 7:30 EST on ESPN+. I imagine Sunderland will have their usual 30,000 attendance.
I like sling because I get espn, nbc local, and USA, so I can watch all the soccer. But I drop it and add it as I wish. Its pricey, but cheaper than any cable package with these. I hate the peacock nonsense, but I will be adding that again this week, took a month off. I like the freedom to add and drop, but the cost is still high.

Old 12-23-2022, 03:22 AM

Quote:
I like sling because I get espn, nbc local, and USA, so I can watch all the soccer. But I drop it and add it as I wish. Its pricey, but cheaper than any cable package with these. I hate the peacock nonsense, but I will be adding that again this week, took a month off. I like the freedom to add and drop, but the cost is still high.
I get NBC Premier League on Peacock. I did a 1 year subscription for $50. I’ve only ever taken the Sling Blue product that has USA Network but not ESPN. I canceled YouTube TV. All the Boxing Day matches are on USA Network so I need to turn Sling back on. I’ll be watching Sunderland-Rovers while you’re watching Spurs.

I turned Paramount+ off until Champions League starts back up.

Old 12-26-2022, 09:08 AM

Tottenham kicked off the restart looking poor on defense. Managed two solid goals, but gave up two easy ones. The second was a terrible misplay by Dier and then a bad mistake on the zone corner defense. I hate the zone corner defense. I much prefer man plus posts. They better make a change in the transfer in the back. Romero returning from celebrating the WC will help, but that back is week. I think the second goal might have been handled by Lloris. Anyway, good fixture by Brentford. They played well. They need a striker, but it was a great showing.

Old 12-26-2022, 01:36 PM

I got to see Blackburn play well at Sunderland only to give up an extra time goal to lose. The second tier is inconsistent so I’m getting used to it. Sunderland attendance was an astounding 43,900.

Liverpool took care of business at AVL. I still can’t believe they’re playing Real Madrid in the Champions League knockout round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer