Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 11:05 AM

750 posts, read 1,065,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
He is, hes not all that and a bag of chips though like he thinks he is.

Being badass in France and claiming to be the best is like saying I work at Geek Squad and that's the top of my profession. Id have liked to see him spend more time in a top league like Spain or England would be the true test. France is just money.
Yeah, recently he blamed Guardiola for his lack of success in Barcelona. Yeah, right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 11:06 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,789,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
He is, hes not all that and a bag of chips though like he thinks he is.

Being badass in France and claiming to be the best is like saying I work at Geek Squad and that's the top of my profession. Id have liked to see him spend more time in a top league like Spain or England would be the true test. France is just money.
lol geek squad...to normal folks like me they know a lot, but to IT folks they're probably scrubs

Old 10-01-2014, 12:57 PM

Ludrogretz 1, Madrid 0

Ronaldo pen stoppped!

Old 10-01-2014, 01:09 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,255,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid View Post
David Luiz is a defender? news to moi
Last night I decided to watch single players for a while to understand how they play, here are a few quick thoughts:

First, I was watching Alves last night for about 10 minutes straight even when he didn't have the ball, it was pretty interesting. He has no thought of supporting the defense at times, his role seemed to be a winger that just happens to start from the back. He would park himself out on the offensive wing, in the attacking third.

I did the same for Messi, it is amazing how much of the time he does nothing (which I knew from before), but then when he moves it is beautiful.

I also watched Neymar, he moves a lot without the ball, making cuts to get himself open on offense, unlike a lot of players. He draws the defenders even without the ball, just because he moves.

Last, I was watching Luiz towards the end (that's why I made the comment about his play earlier). He floats around in the back attempting to anticipate what the player with the ball will do to break-up or congest the passing lanes. I bet this is why he can look bad at times, because if he anticipates too late he looks like he is trailing the play. It worked last night, as he was frequently in the way as Barca was probing.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:55 PM

Last night I decided to watch single players for a while to understand how they play, here are a few quick thoughts:

First, I was watching Alves last night for about 10 minutes straight even when he didn't have the ball, it was pretty interesting. He has no thought of supporting the defense at times, his role seemed to be a winger that just happens to start from the back. He would park himself out on the offensive wing, in the attacking third.

Yes, Alves tend to play as an attacking winger in Barcelona. Worked when the team had a solid defense. He is not a good defender unlike many people think. That was always his problem in the Brazilian NT.

I did the same for Messi, it is amazing how much of the time he does nothing (which I knew from before), but then when he moves it is beautiful.

That's exactly the way he is, explosion. He moves pretty quickly in anticipation of receiving the ball. He also positions well within or near the big box, a lot of his goals come from short passes in that area.

I also watched Neymar, he moves a lot without the ball, making cuts to get himself open on offense, unlike a lot of players. He draws the defenders even without the ball, just because he moves.

Neymar is that kind of player. Sometimes he does not seem to be doing a lot but only someone paying attention to him alone can see how much "drawing" of the defenders he is doing. He often keeps 2-3 players in the left pretty busy trying not give him much space. It works wonder because free up others to infiltrate.

Last, I was watching Luiz towards the end (that's why I made the comment about his play earlier). He floats around in the back attempting to anticipate what the player with the ball will do to break-up or congest the passing lanes. I bet this is why he can look bad at times, because if he anticipates too late he looks like he is trailing the play. It worked last night, as he was frequently in the way as Barca was probing

D. Luiz is surely a different breed of defender, one of those we rarely see. The anticipation is very dangerous territory but efficient when it all works. He also loves to sprint with the ball cutting thru the midfield, and support the attack in corners. His technique for a tall defender is way above average.

Nice! See above in bold.

Old 10-01-2014, 04:26 PM

RM gifted another pen...was not a pen. Then Benzema came on and gave RM the win at 2-1

Old 10-02-2014, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid View Post
RM gifted another pen...was not a pen. Then Benzema came on and gave RM the win at 2-1
Agree, was not a penalty. If it weren't for Benzema replacing Chicharito...

Old 10-21-2014, 11:13 AM

What do you think, Chelsea v Maribor 1x1? I'm going with it...that would be a stunner.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:09 PM

Oh boy, Man City is in trouble...

Old 10-21-2014, 01:19 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,419,666 times
That was a beautiful result for City =)

Barca strolling to victory so far too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer