Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 12:16 PM

10,181 posts, read 20,815,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Oh. BTW, was he a gypsy?
I have no idea. He looked like a decent guy, average family man sort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 01:13 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,395,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
You have a "buy one, get one" sale....so the person gets their two items, goes home, eats the "free" one, and returns to the store to get money back for the other one.
That's kind of a weird one. Wouldn't it make more sense to just give half the money back, since "buy one get one free" really just means half off if you buy two. I'm fairly certain most stores have that policy now.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:48 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,719,897 times
Yes, that is the way they do it now, as far as I've seen...but I've been doing this for almost 20 years.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:30 PM

13,585 posts, read 15,705,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I have no idea. He looked like a decent guy, average family man sort.
Was he Bobby Jindal?

Old 05-12-2009, 05:46 PM

458 posts, read 1,357,543 times
One day a customer asked if her son could use our bathroom, I said sure no problem it is this way, so I lead him in there and went a few steps away from the door as I did not want him to be looking around the offices when he came out. He was in there a long time and all I could hear was hissing type sound come out from there, so I look down the hall and see the mom reading something and I knock on the door and said "Are you ok in there?" he said ya and will only be a sec, so I go back to where I was standing and by this time one of my employees came up to me and asked if all was well, I said ya guess the kid hand to go real bad, well also at the same time my employee came up to me, I had smelled a strong purfume smell and thought to myself, wow she wears a lott?

Finally the boy comes out and walks by me fast and goes to his mother, at the same time I go check the bathroom, the boy had EMPTIED a can of air freshener on the FLOOR sprayed it all over the floor and lais a bunch of toilet paper all on top of it. So I run down the hall past the offices and out to the front down the stairs and up the sidewalk, I yelled for the mother to stop. She did and turned around with a look of impatience and said YEs? I then said, " your son has a big mess he needs to come back and clean in the bathroom, now" of course there were some words exchanged from son to mother to me, ultimately he cleaned it with a bucket of hot water and a cloth, which he did on his hands and knees.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:01 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,807,650 times
**PLEASE READ RULES BEFORE POSTING**

I tend to get put on the "speedy" registers and we recently (FINALLY!!!!!) received signs for our registers saying that they are, "20 items or less."
I had a guy walk up with a basket FULL of groceries and took his sweet time loading everything up to the counter.
I had to get another grocery basket because he was too lazy to come down to the other end and get his groceries as I bagged them.
When it came time to pay for his groceries, he had the hardest time figuring out how to do his "EBT" or food stamps. I had to help him and he entered his pin incorrectly at least 4 times.
On the speedy lane, you are only working with 3 grocery bags compared to the 6 bags when you have a belt which is for 20 items or more....
A lot of times people will make their kids get another basket and the kids will grab the bags as I'm done but if it's not that...it's lazy people who don't want to get their bags and I end up loading their groceries for them.

My job is to scan and bag your groceries...NOT load them into your cart.
I help the elderly people out a lot and people who are int he little electric carts...but a lot of times I just load them because once I'm done with the transaction, I'm having to wait on them to grab their groceries which slows me down with the next customer.

Moral of the story: If you have more than 20 items...go to a line with a belt....
If you have more than 20 items and refuse to go to a line with a belt: GET YOUR GROCERIES OUT OF MY WAY SO I CAN BAG THEM QUICKLY!!

Grocery store etiquette:
1) Have your money or credit/debit card ready BEFORE the total comes up.
2) If the sign says 20 items or less...please don't be an a-hole and come through with TWO grocery carts full of food.
3) If you want to do credit instead of debit...don't get mad at me because the machine is asking for your pin. Hit CANCEL and then select credit.
4) If you haven't swiped your card, don't tell me repeatedly to hit the credit key and then ask me why nothing is coming up.
5)Don't take forever filling out the check. Just leave it blank so I can run it through the machine rather than waiting 5 minutes on you filling it out. (This is a "Save Money. Live Better" thing. No need to fill out the check because we give it right back)
6)When I say, "Hi, how are you?" don't read me off a laundry list of things you hate about our store...or even worse...just give me a weird look.
7) When the "Lane Closed" sign is up...dont' ask me if I'm closed.
8) Be sure to check and see if the cashier's light is on BEFORE you set your stuff down on the belt or counter.
If the light is off, she/he is more than likely closed.
[I can't tell you how many times I've had to stay over the time I was supposed to get off because some people just won't look at the light.]
9) Leave children who can't behave well in public at home.
10. Don't ever come back.

Just kidding about 10.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:05 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,807,650 times
Weird one...
I had a lady come through my line wanting to buy some vitamin water and some medical supplies (band aids, peroxide, etc).
I noticed she was carrying this plastic portable organizer with her that already had medical supplies with her.
I was thinking, "Hmmm....drug user....homeless?"

She seemed to be in a rush and she was breathing really heavily.
I asked her if she felt okay and she said she felt kind of tired.
I asked her if I needed to call someone and she said, "No."
She seemed to stumble a bit so I grabbed my cell phone and started to call 911.
Next thing you know the manager comes over (I had put in the code for customer emergency because I was really worried about her) and the woman faints. She would have hit her head on the ground had it not been for my supervisor's foot. She then jumps up quickly and says, "I'm ok. I'm okay. I don't need help. Just let me go!!"

We then discovered that she had urinated on herself...and I was the lucky one to have to clean it up. It turns my stomach just thinking back on it.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:55 PM

15,160 posts, read 27,869,053 times
I go to a TJMaxx the other day to return something, they have, at the beginning of the "queue" a sign that says Returns that leads to the Customer Service, and another sign where you get in line for purchases. Since I was returning an item, I got in the Return aisle (nobody in front of me other than the customer at the register). The customer being served (I didn't hear all the exchange, thankfully) - was berating the sales person, saying that the signs were hidden, blocked, etc. - I say them clearly - then she proclaimed loudly "I'm a smart person, I looked and couldn't figure out where to make a return". Sheesh!

The sales person dealt w/her pleasantly but the customer clearly had "attitude" - she took her good 'ole time digging out the receipt from her purse, etc. - didn't speak to the sales person anymore.

I got up to the register after that transaction and sympathized with the sales person, basically saying there wasn't a need for such rudeness - then, couldn't resist: I said "I'm a smart person also and I figured out how to read both signs"

Old 05-18-2009, 03:21 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,671,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Jet Jockey, I can understand someone that provides their own filters or oil, and it's good that it's documented. They might have a brand preference, as long as they get the right one for the vehicle, there's no harm done.

The only filter I've ever used in vehicles was FRAM.

I have filter/oil preferences as well I just thought it was funny that people would come in and freak out that we broke their car when it was VERY obvious that we weren't the last ones to touch it.

I also love the people who brought in their own oil/filter and expected the oil change to be free. Ya know, the employees doing the work don't need to be paid, I guess...

Old 05-19-2009, 04:13 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,719,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I have filter/oil preferences as well I just thought it was funny that people would come in and freak out that we broke their car when it was VERY obvious that we weren't the last ones to touch it.

I also love the people who brought in their own oil/filter and expected the oil change to be free. Ya know, the employees doing the work don't need to be paid, I guess...
Yes, labor is usually the most expensive part of a service.

I remember a guy telling me that any idiot with a computer could do his taxes. I felt like saying, "So get a computer...idiot." But I didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products