Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 11:33 PM

952 posts, read 3,706,450 times

Advertisements

I work for a huge retailer. I work in the dresses department and it is absolutely amazing how some people can be so trashy. We sell nice cocktail dresses and evening dresses. We have people taking in garments into the fitting rooms and leave the rooms with the dresses in a huge pile on the floor. What else, oh, we are not just a retailer, we are a rental store. In our store, people come in. Buy a dress, wear it, and return it the next day. We never have so many return as the day after a homecomings or in spring during wedding season. Smelly dresses with deodorant stains. Somehow our store returns everything under the sun. As long as you have some proof of purchase you get your money back the way you paid for it. If the return is without proof of purchase you still get your money back in form of an in store credit. And people take advantage of that . So enough about that. I could never return anything after I wore the unless the garment was defected.
My worst experience was one time when I was walking into a fitting room and saw this pile of close on the floor. It smelled awful in there. It smelled crap. And that's just what it was. Somebody left me a huge surprise on top of all this clothes on the floor.
So, that's just some of the things us retail workers have to deal with on a bad day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 12:22 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,105,303 times
You might be interested in this current thread on this same subject, in which quite a lot of people contributed very interesting ideas.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/shopp...il-stores.html

Old 10-04-2008, 10:19 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
Oh yea, there should be a book about the abuses retail workers have to put up with. Any time you have to work interfacing with the public you get the loonies. I have had to deal with some customers that were seriously mentally ill... like really scary. Customers under the influence of some substance... customers (mainly women) who were just the b*tchiest things on the planet who would feed their egos and get their jollies from treating clerks like trash.

And you are right about the returns. Now they are stricter but back in the day, they would take anything if you screamed for the manager. I had to refund money on used vitamins that were 2 years old ... 5 year old carpeting ... drapes that stank of food odors... things from other stores that were given as gifts in the box that had our store name on it... yep, took it all back.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:22 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
sanity is not a requirement to shop in a store.
the concept is that corporations have ripped off the little guy so its payback time and they are the righteous avenging angel.
only those that work with the public have a clue of the level of anger present in the public. conflict avoidance and conflict de escalaton
are not working for us as a community. many behave badly simply bek they know they can.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:47 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
It's retail - these things come with the territory. If you dislike it that much, find another line of work.

I worked in retail for about 10 years, from minimum wage grunt worker to general manager of two stores, so I understand where you're coming from. It is what it is, though. You either deal with it or find something else to do. When I'd had enough, that's exactly what I did.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:55 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
my mom worked as a cashier at Wal-Mart and a customer hit her. Management did NOTHING to the customer.

Oh...but they would have FIRED her if she retaliated.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:58 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
my mom worked as a cashier at Wal-Mart and a customer hit her. Management did NOTHING to the customer.
this is where we are going without a labor movement.
under the table nafta is causing this
obama 08

Old 10-06-2008, 06:46 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,434,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
It's retail - these things come with the territory. If you dislike it that much, find another line of work...........
Excuse me, but.....finding a pile of "crap" in the dressing room on brand new retail clothes is "coming with the territory" ????
It is a retail clerks responsibility to clean up body excretions DELIBERATELY placed there?
If I EXPECTED to find something like that, I would be either a NA, RN or work in a nursing home.(amongst other job fields dealing with body excretions)

I love my line of work in retail, but....I do draw the line somewhere. (And, that "pile" would be IT! But, of course....nothing can be done about it, unless someone is actually caught in the "act")
However, I do have to say, that the nice customers and "regulars" outweigh the nasty ones and make up for it.

Those nice individuals are exactly the type of people to give me the hope and sense of being there, for a all the RIGHT reasons!

Old 10-06-2008, 07:55 AM

952 posts, read 3,706,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
Excuse me, but.....finding a pile of "crap" in the dressing room on brand new retail clothes is "coming with the territory" ????
It is a retail clerks responsibility to clean up body excretions DELIBERATELY placed there?
If I EXPECTED to find something like that, I would be either a NA, RN or work in a nursing home.(amongst other job fields dealing with body excretions)

I love my line of work in retail, but....I do draw the line somewhere. (And, that "pile" would be IT! But, of course....nothing can be done about it, unless someone is actually caught in the "act")
However, I do have to say, that the nice customers and "regulars" outweigh the nasty ones and make up for it.

Those nice individuals are exactly the type of people to give me the hope and sense of being there, for a all the RIGHT reasons!

Yes, the nice ones outweigh the bad ones but you remember the bad once more. I would have quit after finding the surprise in the fitting room but I have to have another job first. It is a work in progress.
Anyhow, just because it's retail we shouldn't have to deal with peoples pissy attitudes. Then thats goes with any line of work. But I bet if I had worked as something else" more respected" it would not have been accepted to treat me the way many of us retail workers get treated.
It all comes down to how you are raised in the end. Rude customers or the real nasty ones were raised to treat people that way. I can't find any other reason.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:23 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
Apparently so...

Quote:
If not, whose job is it?

Look, that was obviously a horrible thing to do and there could be no possible justification for it, but it happened. Yes, it was wrong. Yes, it's not what one signs up for when they take a job at Old Navy. It is what it is, though, and someone has to clean it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products