Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 07:19 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times

Advertisements

(I guess this is the best section to put this thread.)

For 4 mos now, I'm living alone for the 1st time in my life, but I'm not in my 20s anymore. I'm an only child, so I've had a pretty solitary life anyway, so I'm used to the solitude. I really LOVE the freedom of living alone! I'm so glad I'm getting this chance rather than going from living with parent to getting married & living with a spouse.

I live in a nice apt with my little dog. It's not the biggest place, but the apt/complex is very nice & quiet. I couldn't have picked a better apt to live.

I have a couple of pals/aquaintances, none I'd call close friends, but I don't get lonely. I have enough to keep me busy.

How about you?

Last edited by Forever Blue; 10-05-2012 at 08:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 07:54 AM

25,719 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Damn straight, I do.

Besides the fact that that's the way (uh-huh uh-huh) I like it, it's also my way of showing full support for the 13th Amendment.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:21 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
Yes.

My girl and I spend chunks of time together, but after 4-5 days we are both the kind of people who like their own space and pvt time.

I've had roommates... And I'd much rather not.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:25 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,890 times
Boy I tell ya.. there are days when I miss living alone.. When I do get a rare weekend alone, it is pure heaven but in the end, I am glad when mom and the kids come home.. I miss them and don't think I would like living a lone for very long..

Old 10-05-2012, 04:10 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,944,608 times
A loud, long, reverberating YES!

Lots of people don't like living out here in the boonies because they're alone so much, and practically isolated all winter. I freakin' LOVE it... my only issue with being snowbound in the winter is that my DH is stuck in here with me as well and neither of us can get away from each other to be truly ALONE for longer than an hour or two.

I have no issues living completely alone, and have done it several times in my life. Having one other person to share life with on a regular basis is nice if they give me a day or two completely alone a few times a month (or are away most of the day). But I don't really get lonely or miss them horribly... I do miss them, but it's a low-level thing.

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 10-05-2012 at 04:45 PM..

Old 10-05-2012, 05:34 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,141 times
Everyone probably needs or desires downtime. I've been a loner mostly and when im lonely I manage to do something like go in a chatroom or call someone or go walking in public or visit an elder or email a relative who lives far away and of course my parents always like company if they're not busy. I think even if you have little family loneliness aint a worry. Boredom isnt in my vocabulary, for those who it is generally need to be in social settings on a daily basis.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:57 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,320,082 times
I live with my wife and my 2 dogs, but I was raised an only child and now most of my relatives have past, but living in a small world has no worries for me. I do have times when I need to be alone an will just sit in my car in the driveway and read. I need about a hour a day of solitude to keep my sanity.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:01 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
I didn't mind when I lived alone and I like living with my husband when he is home but he is often gone so I still live very close to alone. Before he and I became we and lived in the same house obviously I was single and lived alone so when I felt the need for some noise, I went to my girlfriends house for an hour. It cured me quickly of thinking that my place was too quiet, she had 5 children of various ages at home and they ALL had friends over all the time...

Old 10-05-2012, 06:12 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
Been living alone for almost 4 years- well not totally alone- My eldest daughter travels doing her job or works 24 7 when in town...I share a home with her- for the most part I am alone- the adult kids will drop by on occasion...the wife will make the odd visit...as time goes on I see little of my siblings...so what do I think of being alone? I like it...except for one thing...having a few buck and living alone is tolerable- being broke and alone is gloomy...If I step out of my home and into the hood-I know just about everybody... and get along..

This is the first time in my life that I have spent so much time with myself...it's nice not to answer to anyone- except when my eldest daughter shows up- It's like I am the kid and she is the stern mother...She will be gone for a month on tour with her NGO...I might just bring in one of the local ladies..but then again- I had to many of them in my time...so - I really don't care if I spend the rest of my life alone- just not broke- being broke is being a prisoner. I like to be able to leave my alone state on occasion...being alone should be a choice.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:19 PM

123 posts, read 297,207 times
yes, living alone for more than five years now, i am been happy with it. spend time building a house clearing the forest for more space garden, taking care of my animals, digging pond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness