Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 09:46 PM

337 posts, read 663,424 times

Advertisements

For years I've wanted to just leave this rat race and just travel the country. I see all these retiree's traveling together w/ their special someones in their Winnebago's and they look so happy all the time.

I'm in my mid 30's and have had one career already and have recently begun to line up going for my 2nd career, but have considered doing this travel the US thing first cause I've got the itch so bad.

I live off interest from some investments so making money in places shouldn't be an issue.

Just want to hear from those that have or are living it, what's the life story of someone living this life?

Thanks

Chance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 08:06 AM

3,041 posts, read 4,999,646 times
Lonely

Old 04-21-2010, 08:09 AM

I suggest Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck. He travels around the USA with his dog and pretty much describes the feelings that everyone feels when they do it.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:29 AM

25,705 posts, read 18,781,503 times
It depends on your temperament. Long ago, I was a professional musician and was on the road constantly. At the time, I loved it and wouldn't have had it any other way. But now, at this point in my life, I don't know that I'd be so keen on it.

An earlier post mentioned loneliness. I think that could be a factor for many people--personally, being alone has never bothered me. I could go months without making contact with anyone and be fine with it--but that's just me. Some people need constant, meaningful interaction. If you are like that, you probably won't enjoy being on the road.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:57 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
A lot of the retirees that do this are hugely extroverted, and immediately form friendships in the parks where they stay. Loneliness isn't much of a problem for them. My dad did the routine for a few months of the year until he got tired of it.

I think you will find that traveling now is a lot different than when Steinbeck did his tour. You won't be able to "boondock" as much as you like, and there are expenses you might not anticipate.

When looking for property, we did what I call "stealth camping" in a converted passenger van that was relatively inconspicuous if parked where cars normally park. We also didn't have any problems with the "No RVs" places. I also went car camping across the U.S. with my brother back when I was 13. We used his MG and a pup tent and had a blast.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:42 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,517,385 times
I traveled the USA and other countries for 7 1/2 years and while it was neat in some ways, it cost me plenty.

Today I can't pick a product up without turning it around to see where it what county/city it was made in to see if I was there at some point, and I can have great conversations with people because when they say they are from Missouri Montana or something, I always ask them where because I have probably been there, or have been real close by.

But constant travel was THE reason for my divorce. They say a man falls MORE in love with his wife the more they travel, and a woman falls OUT oflove in the same situation. When I started the job the boys said if I stayed on, I would be divorced. I scoffed and said we were a close couple, but 7 years later we were in divorce court despite this.

Another reality is, you can never go home again either. It sounds weird but when you leave home and travel, and then return home, in your mind its like the place has never changed. In reality they lived without you so even today there is this big black hole for the 7 years I was gone. People will often be talking about people that died, married, or had some experience that I missed and I am oblivious to it. They look at me and say,"oh that happened when you were on the Railroad BTap".

You really can't ever return home again, but I have seen places that most people dream of. Was it worth it...

I don't know.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:19 AM

25,705 posts, read 18,781,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
I traveled the USA and other countries for 7 1/2 years and while it was neat in some ways, it cost me plenty.

Today I can't pick a product up without turning it around to see where it what county/city it was made in to see if I was there at some point, and I can have great conversations with people because when they say they are from Missouri Montana or something, I always ask them where because I have probably been there, or have been real close by.

But constant travel was THE reason for my divorce. They say a man falls MORE in love with his wife the more they travel, and a woman falls OUT oflove in the same situation. When I started the job the boys said if I stayed on, I would be divorced. I scoffed and said we were a close couple, but 7 years later we were in divorce court despite this.

Another reality is, you can never go home again either. It sounds weird but when you leave home and travel, and then return home, in your mind its like the place has never changed. In reality they lived without you so even today there is this big black hole for the 7 years I was gone. People will often be talking about people that died, married, or had some experience that I missed and I am oblivious to it. They look at me and say,"oh that happened when you were on the Railroad BTap".

You really can't ever return home again, but I have seen places that most people dream of. Was it worth it...

I don't know.
Interesting take—it strikes a bit of a nerve for me. Your insight on marriage when hubby is travelling all over Timbuktu is spot on. It took way less than seven years in my case, though. That’s one aspect of my travels that I wish I could change.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:53 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,103,490 times
Drove an 18wheeler from Sept 06, to Oct 07 due to some gravel hauler counting sheep behind the wheel.
Normally, I stayed out for 4-6 weeks and spent 8-10 hrs a day driving, with 1-2 hr breaks in between.

When I had to take the mandatory 10hr break, I would more often than not, seek out a small gas station and park behind it depending on where I was.
Quiet rest, great views, and a place to splash my face before heading out again.

As for showers and laundry, this was done either at company terminals or authorized truckstop refuels.

Food consisted of PBJ, Ramen, cereal, powdered milk, and iced tea.
I usually ate a "good meal" 1-2 times a week.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:17 AM

42 posts, read 81,372 times
It is lonely, but I'm seeking a partner in crime to continue up the east coast and into Canada!

Old 04-29-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond Chick View Post
It is lonely, but I'm seeking a partner in crime to continue up the east coast and into Canada!
You're a unique one! Most of my friends, when informed of my plan to go nomadic (sounds so much better than 'to go be a homeless bum'), had this response:

Women: Why would you want to do that?

Men: You're my hero.

Perhaps there are ladies out there that would like to just go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness