Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 12:09 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,144,323 times

Advertisements

it's not even close to Spokane temperatures
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 12:13 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,144,323 times
0 days

Old 12-22-2008, 12:42 AM

576 posts, read 1,819,560 times
Oh noes! What would happen if we lost Seattle?

I would be forced to move somewhere better.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:01 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,668,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
OMG, I truly don't know whether to laugh or cry.

No, actually, I do...I'll truly laugh at how moronic this is. Let's call the entire area to a halt for 3+ work days because of the possible detriment to the environment.

Yeah, I like the "Evergreen State", but, you know what? I also see the proverbial forest for the trees, and understand that business needs to go on in order for these purdy trees and fishies to survive.
Thing is, there ARE more environmentally friendly alternatives to salt, like calcium magnesium acetate and potassium acetate. They work a little slower, and they cost more than salt, but I can't understand why any area that has even the *potential* for snow wouldn't keep something on hand.

I can understand not having a big fleet of snowplows, but they can always get shipped in from elsewhere. I grew up in Michigan, and I can remember on a couple of occasions when places like Kentucky and the Carolinas got hit with freak snowstorms ... we'd send some of our plows down there to help clean up.

My wife and I are planning to move to the Seattle area next year. We were marveling at the Seahawks game yesterday ... at first, we wondered what we were getting ourselves into. And then we settled in and realized it was nice to have a little winter storm once in a while. Living out here in metro DC the past few years, we miss those Michigan winters with the snow crunching under your feet. It's not something you want to deal with every day, but the snow DOES make things beautiful while it sticks around. Besides, there's nothing like a good snowball fight.

Of course, Michigan is full of rust-bucket cars, too, from all the salt they have to put on the road all winter long! You win some, you lose some.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:04 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,668,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
I remember a bunch of people writing last summer that it never gets as cold here as it does in the DC area.
It was 18 degrees when I woke up this morning, out here in metro DC. I think it's just cold EVERYWHERE right now!

At least you'll have a white Christmas. That's always nice.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:53 AM

265 posts, read 1,074,716 times
Sure it's nice to have a little snow storm. And to me this is really little. The inexecusable part is that no one has done anything about it! No plowing, nothing! If you don't like sand or salt, at least plow, or use safe substances. If they can make anti-ice crystals THAT ARE SAFE FOR MY CAT TO EAT, the environment excuse is rubbish! We're the closest state to ALASKA for crying out loud. Two inches of snow and its the end of the world. A foot in NY and everything is open and functions normally. That's a vast difference. Instead of raising our sales taxes for that poorly conceived transit project that won't serve most places yet everyone voted on, they should have raised the taxes to deal with situations like THIS instead, which impact EVERYONE. I have to risk my life and property today just to go grocery shopping in Kirkland.

It's too bad no politicians will ever read this forum....

Old 12-22-2008, 09:57 AM

265 posts, read 1,074,716 times
It wouldn't be a big deal if someone actually did something to clean it up and make the roads safe. See my other thread....

Old 12-22-2008, 10:03 AM

5,478 posts, read 12,256,220 times
Yea, it is pretty pathetic how this is being handled. I love how on the news they say "stay home if you can." Right....Like we all have the endless pool of vacation days to burn. 50% of the city bus routes cut. Are you kidding me? It's hard not to see the absurdity in this, especially since this snow is nothing by Midwest/East coast standards. I took public transportation in Chicago all the time in much worse than this. I think since the possibility for snow is always here, the area should be better prepared, especially since there are so many HILLS to negotiate. Let's cut all the bus routes because they must travel up or down hills. I mean, come on .

Last edited by cobolt; 12-22-2008 at 10:23 AM..

Old 12-22-2008, 10:10 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,066,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
it's not even close to Spokane temperatures
I lived in Spokane for a few years and winters were typically like this. Seattle's temps have been in the 20s this past week and that was typical for Spokane. Anyway, my point was more about snow that sits around for a long time rather than whether temps are 20 or 25. Either way it is cold enough here that there is lots of snow on the ground!

Old 12-22-2008, 10:20 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,066,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Sure it's nice to have a little snow storm. And to me this is really little. The inexecusable part is that no one has done anything about it! No plowing, nothing! If you don't like sand or salt, at least plow, or use safe substances. If they can make anti-ice crystals THAT ARE SAFE FOR MY CAT TO EAT, the environment excuse is rubbish! We're the closest state to ALASKA for crying out loud. Two inches of snow and its the end of the world. A foot in NY and everything is open and functions normally. That's a vast difference. Instead of raising our sales taxes for that poorly conceived transit project that won't serve most places yet everyone voted on, they should have raised the taxes to deal with situations like THIS instead, which impact EVERYONE. I have to risk my life and property today just to go grocery shopping in Kirkland.

It's too bad no politicians will ever read this forum....
Welcome to the Seattle area! A place where what's practical is pushed aside for the ideal. Don't expect it to change anytime soon. You have a few options. You can rail against it, become resigned to it, or decide it aint worth it anymore and leave. It it makes you feel any better, we really don't typically get this kind of snow on a regular basis. In the past (I've spent 18 winters here) the longest the city has been shut down by snow has been about two straight days. Although I understand '96 was bad but I wasn't here for that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area