Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 05:39 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,014,186 times

Advertisements

I have lived in many areas in the US, and have, quite frankly, yet to see any city deal with snow as poorly as Seattle and the surrounding areas. Not by a LONG shot.

It's so far been 3 days that my work in downtown Seattle has been closed, and Lord knows what will happen tomorrow.

Fact is "it happens" here, so the powers that be should have some sort of plan in place. I heard this morning that Puget Sound Energy brought in crews from Montana, Oregon, BC and California just in case of power outages. Why not the government for this snow that they know about at least 3 days in advance and they know that, in Seattle, they have 20 trucks for over 1500 miles of roads?

Just downright stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 05:42 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,844,534 times
Alaska/Horizon cancelled all flights today, and they're not making any promises about Monday.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:47 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,844,534 times
Hmm, that sure is easy to say, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Fact is "it happens" here, so the powers that be should have some sort of plan in place.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:51 PM

265 posts, read 1,073,881 times
Ok, so salt harms the environment even though its a natural substance. Well what about SAND then? Or a tax credit to buy a snowmobile? :-P

Are there any cities near the eastside that DO actually plow or sand? If so, I would like to move there because Kirkland does NOTHING.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:54 PM

265 posts, read 1,073,881 times
Anyway, thank you for all your replies. I wanted to make sure I wasn't delusional. I am seeing a SNOWMOBILE going back and forth on the street at the apartment where I live in Kirkland. Boggles the mind.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post

Are there any cities near the eastside that DO actually plow or sand? If so, I would like to move there because Kirkland does NOTHING.
Don't come up to Everett. Even their police department doesn't even try to clear their parking lot.

It's like stereotypical government workers....minimal work for good pay and benefits and such. "Oops, we didn't consider this."

It doesn't really help me when I'm trying to get up to Canada and have to seriously consider my plans after a snowstorm five days prior. Seriously PATHETIC.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:11 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Ok, so salt harms the environment even though its a natural substance. Well what about SAND then? Or a tax credit to buy a snowmobile? :-P
Here in eastern Washington NOAA has put much pressure on the counties to cut back on the amount of sand they put on the roads. It harms spawning habitat for salmon.

More salmon on your side of the mountains....I don't think your going to be able to spread more sand around.

Really a trade-off between safety and salmon. Thank god, my friend is a salmon fisherman. He plunged 90 feet off the road and totaled his wife vehicle. His dog did get her pads cut, but he was able to crawl back up the road basically unhurt. But the important part is that NO SAND made it into the creek.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post

Really a trade-off between safety and salmon. Thank god, my friend is a salmon fisherman. He plunged 90 feet off the road and totaled his wife vehicle. His dog did get her pads cut, but he was able to crawl back up the road basically unhurt. But the important part is that NO SAND made it into the creek.
OMG, I truly don't know whether to laugh or cry.

No, actually, I do...I'll truly laugh at how moronic this is. Let's call the entire area to a halt for 3+ work days because of the possible detriment to the environment.

Yeah, I like the "Evergreen State", but, you know what? I also see the proverbial forest for the trees, and understand that business needs to go on in order for these purdy trees and fishies to survive.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:34 PM

854 posts, read 4,141,646 times
They have sanded the major road through our neighborhood in Redmond a few times .... the road is still pretty slick though. I was thinking hmm, maybe I'll look up bus schedules and routes to see if that bus stop near my house can get me to the grocery store... then I was reminded that the buses are skidding out of control too. :-)

My family is teasing me because we went on about how great it is to have snow nearby in the mountains but not HERE where we have to shovel it, and how it so RARELY freezes here, etc. Oops! We've been here 11 months now, but I was told not to expect this.

I was getting an oil change at the Firestone up here one day and overheard a conversation with an old dude training a new dude on tire sales. Old dude said, "Everyone thinks it NEVER snows up here. Well, they don't REMEMBER. It CAN and it WILL. Most of the people up here moved up here in the last five or ten years, and they've only lived here during these mild years. They don't know what it was like before that. It can ICE! It can SNOW! And you need SNOW TIRES for that!"

If this is truly a rare event, would we really want to store idle snowplows, and maintain them, etc?? Would it make sense?? If this happened every year like this, I would say it was needed... but if this happens only for a few days every few years, would that make sense??

I can say that Dallas deals with this just as poorly as Seattle. :-) They have some salt trucks for overpasses for when it ices, but in a good ice storm, you just stay home.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlion View Post

I can say that Dallas deals with this just as poorly as Seattle. :-) They have some salt trucks for overpasses for when it ices, but in a good ice storm, you just stay home.
But, yeah...I've honestly heard the "I grew up in Dallas and have seen this" crud in the past few days. This is BY NO MEANS Dallas, and the powers that be know it.

If they can get the electricians here, they certainly can get the snow plows here. From what I've heard, Vancouver BC can certainly spare a few...

There is no excuse that my office in downtown Seattle would be closed for the past three work days. None at all. Except that people rely on the idea that "oh, crap, we can't do anything about this".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area