Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2007, 08:33 AM

11 posts, read 75,109 times

Advertisements

My husband has been transferred to Seattle and we are trying to decide where to live. We have 2 small kids who are in Elementary School and are looking for a family friendly location (good schools, lots of kids, kid activities, low crime, etc).

He is in sales so will have to communte all over the city and the greater area (including airport). The office is in Bellevue, but he needs to only be there about 1x per week.

We are from Highlands Ranch, Colorado and like the lifestyle there.

Anything close in the Seattle area (while staying under 650k)? Friends here have recommended Gig Harbor and Issaquah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 03:11 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,062,322 times
I have lived in Issaquah, with kids. We LOVED it. In town, it's so cute, kind of "old town" ski village looking - with lots of shops and cute restaurants. Then, there is the more modern stores and shopping areas... we lived up the hill in Klahanie, which at the time, was the only master planned community up there... but now I think there are at least two others... Issaquah Highlands and Tiger Mountain something or another.

I think with $650k in that area, you will be ok with home prices - but I haven't checked the current rates there in some time. I know our 3 bedroom 1250 sq ft townhouse that we had is now going for $350k!! We bought it in 2001 for $230K!

I have only driven through Gig Harbor but it's cute ... no good or bads since I haven't spent time there - but it does seem VERY far away from areas that I would like to be around (Seattle, east side shopping, etc).

Old 02-08-2007, 12:14 PM

Default Gig Harbor versus Issaqauh to live?

People have wanred us that it is SUPER crowded on the eastside - with huge waits at everything from grocery stores to gyms. Was that you experience?

Khalanie was one of the places that we liked. I will check on the Tiger one.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:17 PM

In regards to traffic, during busy times - yes, it's bad.

Personally, I don't think that there are long waits in lines, etc. I don't think it's overcrowded like a big city. I wouldn't say "SUPER" crowded. It's populated - but where the problem lies is the traffic, in my opinion.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:00 PM

Thanks for the info. I also like to shop and have easy access to things like grocery stores and kids events.

Any thoughts on the commute from Issaquah to downtown Seattle?

Old 02-08-2007, 01:17 PM

It's easier than if you were on the east side. The I90 bridge is "less" congested than 520...

My husband used to work at WAMU corporate headquarters in Seattle - when we lived in Issaquah. He took a bus both ways, and had an easy commute. There is a major bus stop in Issaquah. It wasn't bad at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area