Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2012, 08:55 PM

1 posts, read 5,188 times

Advertisements

Hi- I am hoping some of you can help my family and I figure out where to set down our roots. My husband works in Port Orchard and we live in in the Bonney Lake area. I know, the commute is tedious but we are both from So Cal and used to driving at least an 1 hr each way to get from point A to B. The commute is not really the issue- we just can't figure out where to buy a house. We both have other jobs/volunteer commitments that keep us in the Tacoma-Seattle corridor at least 3 days a week. We have one eleven year old daughter, 2 dogs, and would like to have at least 1/2 -to 1 acre of property when we buy. We are currently thinking about Maple Valley, Issaquah, or Bellevue area but have also heard great things about Gig Harbor and University Place.

Again, the commute to and from Port Orchard is not an issue-we just really need to hear some pros and cons from people that live in or are familiar with the areas listed to help us make a decision. I know there will be trade offs with both but would love to hear what you have to say. Thanks so much!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 01:43 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Why not near Port Orchard?

The Fauntleroy-Southworth Ferry could get you back/forth from Seattle/etc when necessary.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:06 AM

20 posts, read 57,977 times
My fiance and I moved to Port Orchard from Arizona and we love it here. Port Orchard itself is a small town but has a good selection of grocery stories so you can enjoy whatever ads you like, and there's tons of local restaurants to enjoy. I can give you more specific information if you want.

The reason we picked Port Orchard over Gig Harbor is mainly due to price. Considering they're neighboring towns you can figure that the amenities in one are also the amenities in the other if you don't mind a short no-traffic drive. So if you can get more land/house/rent/etc for your dollar in one, why not go there, right? There's a mall and lots of chain shopping opportunities in Silverdale, which is just a short drive north, and in Tacoma (though you'll have to pay the toll one-way to cross the bridge, it's only 2.50 if you get a Good To Go pass).

Old 01-11-2012, 12:25 AM

370 posts, read 1,068,409 times
Default Eastside vs Gig Harbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greengirl View Post
Hi- I am hoping some of you can help my family and I figure out where to set down our roots. My husband works in Port Orchard and we live in in the Bonney Lake area. I know, the commute is tedious but we are both from So Cal and used to driving at least an 1 hr each way to get from point A to B. The commute is not really the issue- we just can't figure out where to buy a house. We both have other jobs/volunteer commitments that keep us in the Tacoma-Seattle corridor at least 3 days a week. We have one eleven year old daughter, 2 dogs, and would like to have at least 1/2 -to 1 acre of property when we buy. We are currently thinking about Maple Valley, Issaquah, or Bellevue area but have also heard great things about Gig Harbor and University Place.

Again, the commute to and from Port Orchard is not an issue-we just really need to hear some pros and cons from people that live in or are familiar with the areas listed to help us make a decision. I know there will be trade offs with both but would love to hear what you have to say. Thanks so much!
Port Orchard is a good place. You say that you come towards Seattle Tacoma. Check out Edgewood and Milton you can get some good acreage and decent housing. The Auburn West hill is in the same neighborhood which is also a good alternative.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:08 PM

195 posts, read 377,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfdsouza2001 View Post
Port Orchard is a good place.
A friend lives in Port Orchard and loves it there. Really nice quiet area, and house prices are very nice.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:26 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
Honestly just because you *can* drive up that long... why would you? If you're already going to be in the Tacoma to Seattle corridor, then look there. Eastside already has too much traffic.

FWIW, I like Gig Harbor... it's a cute town Have family there. GH has good schools. I wouldn't worry about the toll too much because property taxes are lower up there to "make up" for it.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:41 AM

392 posts, read 1,556,888 times
You mentioned University Place, which I don't think is the best option for your situation. Not as many homes with larger lots, higher property taxes, and the layout of UP will increase your commute.
Port Orchard is very nice, homes are less expensive than Gig Harbor, taxes are also less expensive, but resale isn't as good, largely because the schools aren't perceived to be as good.
Gig Harbor is a great option. We've lived here since '97 and love it. Schools are great, home choices are wide and varied, prices are WAY lower than east side as are taxes, great community feel.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:12 PM

5 posts, read 13,985 times
Default seattle/tacoma corridor

If most of your activity/living surrounds the seattle/tacoma corridor and your husband's commuting to work in Port Orchard is not an issue, then why not find a nice place in the seattle/tacoma corridor? There are nice outlying areas there more easily accessible with good schools than Gig Harbor and Port Orchard. The cost of living in PO and GH is high - transportation (bridge or ferry) is an added expense (ferries prices have tripled with the state's budget deficit, Port Orchard/Seattle runs). Good luck - find a nice home around your living activities - it's what you make it. Too many people move to the area with the assumption they can commute around the Sound and that commuting frenzy is what degrades the entire Sound community over time. Adjust your lifestyle to the Northwest and leave Los Angeles commuting behind.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:49 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,525,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjford View Post
If most of your activity/living surrounds the seattle/tacoma corridor and your husband's commuting to work in Port Orchard is not an issue, then why not find a nice place in the seattle/tacoma corridor? ... Good luck - find a nice home around your living activities - it's what you make it. Too many people move to the area with the assumption they can commute around the Sound and that commuting frenzy is what degrades the entire Sound community over time. Adjust your lifestyle to the Northwest and leave Los Angeles commuting behind.
So should they commute to Port Orchard, or not? They either live in Seattle/Tacoma and commute to Port Orchard, or they live in Port Orchard and don't commute.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:43 PM

5 posts, read 13,985 times
Live in the Tacoma/Seattle corridor if that's where their activities are - running kids to school, activities, volunteer work, whatever - one round trip to work in Port Orchard for work compared to more trips to the Tacoma/Seattle area from Port Orchard is not worth it and certainly would not offer much quality. Or, let go of the Tacoma/Seattle activities but it didn't sound like that was part of the plan. Just let go of all the commuting - the Puget Sound is not LA - adapt to the region's lifestyle because Washington has fast become the new LA with the commuting frenzy - all that folks had hoped to leave behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area