Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 04:49 PM

4 posts, read 17,892 times

Advertisements

After scourging the net for information on comparing the above 2 places, I came across this board and it seemed finally I may be able to get some informed comparison.

We are planning to buy a house in in 400-460 range and our basic requirement is

1. Property appreciation outlook should be on a brighter side considering we plan to move out in 5 years
2. relatively newer house(since we are lazy and would like to buy a house that is ready to move into)
3. Urban location (unlike say lynnwood area)
4. Yard (not huge, small would do ...have a dog that needs some space)

So after looking at bothell, mill creek, bellevue, kirkland, woodinville, issaquah, newcastle, sammamish, lynnwood, edmunds et all areas we liked woodinville & issaquah highlands.

The builder we liked the best, that we can probably afford, is harbor homes.

We loved issaquah highlands. Its extremely well planned, very urban, apparently a self sustained city, newer homes however its a bit on expensive side. You can actually just walk and dont need a car to commute within the highlands. For the kind of house we can buy, we found a 1440 - 1640 sq ft house that felt absolutely perfect right now, but if our family visits us or in 3-5 yrs when we have kids we felt the house might feel small.

We didnt love woodinville so much when compared to highlands BUT the home we loved the most (harbor homes) is in woodinville.

Commute is not an issue since I fly for my work every week and its just to and from airport once a week. Wife works in Bellevue and thats not far away.

We did hear that the market might go down further but real estate agents tell us that now is the time to buy in highlands else it will go up. dont know how much truth is in that one.

So what we are looking for are some tips, points, information which can help us make an informed & better decision.

Your inputs are highly appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 05:11 PM

142 posts, read 558,073 times
Is that in the development that ELF burned today?

Old 03-03-2008, 05:32 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,045,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swsha4 View Post
Is that in the development that ELF burned today?

Quinn's Crossing out by Echo Lake is the development where the fires were. I don't see Harbor Homes listed as one of the builders.

Four of the five house listed here by builder, burned this morning. The fifth one didn't sustain damage as the devices set by the ELF didn't go off. These are all houses that would have sold for one to two million.

2007 Seattle Street of Dreams

Old 03-03-2008, 05:37 PM

142 posts, read 558,073 times
Wow. Shocking!

Old 03-03-2008, 06:56 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,333,985 times
thesearcher,
Real estate agents( and I am one) are ALWAYS going to tell you to buy now.
If prices in the Seattle area are falling, tthat should ultimately include both Woodinville and the Issaquah Highlands. That said, I like the Issaquah Highlands. It is a well planned community. But a Real estate agent is not an impartial advisor. Do you ask a barber if you need a haircut?

Old 03-03-2008, 07:49 PM

swsha4, it wasnt that one.

ira500, I agree with your point. thats why I was looking for some inputs on this board

Old 03-03-2008, 09:10 PM

92 posts, read 473,372 times
Issaquah Highlands. Woodinville is too far out if your wife commutes to Bellevue. The I-90 corridor is much better. It also helps to get to the airport. There are plenty of homes for under 600k. How often does your family visit? I asked this question since the highlands area offers alot to do while you work and your fmaily stays at your home.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:15 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,851,603 times
I just want to say we live in Issaquah Highlands, and I love love love the neighborhood. The park and ride is right there, and once the High Streets (a shopping district that is under construction) is finished, I suspect the home prices will really go up. Our neighborhood is about the only part of our living in WA that I like.

V. =)

Old 03-04-2008, 12:57 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,099,857 times
Ditto and ditto Issaquah Highlands -- based on everything you said and implied the location is good for you; and it's a better location for resale than Woodinville.

Harbor Homes is not the area's leading builder, so don't choose based on just that. Anyway, most buyers (who will be buying from you in five years) wouldn't know Harbor from anyone else, and rarely care.

GREAT ADVICE HERE on not asking a barber if you need a haircut, or a real estate agent if now is a good time to buy real estate... Are you interested in engaging a buyer's agent instead of a seller's agent? I have nothing to do with this; have only been a consumer of their excellent services. I recommend a buyer's agent whose fiduciary relationship is with you, not the seller, whom you can find through the National Association of Exclusive Buyer Agents
Why Use an EBA--Exclusive Buyer Agent | NAEBA (http://www.naeba.org/buying/why.htm?gclid=CKmMirH-8pECFRM8awodeFumwQ - broken link)

Old 03-05-2008, 01:24 PM

Thanks for inputs!

My family visits for a month a year and my wife commutes for work 3days/week to Bellevue.
Our budget is 460k and we couldnt find a single family home in that range...we cant take a townhome because we own a lab which needs a yard (even a small one would do). I guess if I want a house in Issaquah highlands then I should wait for some time since prices in seattle area have started falling (Eg. sinclair thimgan took a 10% reduction on their new homes in woodinville 2 weeks back)! Its a gamble though.

Veronica, I totally agree - its a great community!

allforcats, I dont care much about harbour homes...just that we loved their homeplan. They came up with a community called andalucia in woodinville and its beautiful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area