Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 01:24 PM

83 posts, read 170,696 times

Advertisements

I am going to start this off, by saying I am getting a little ahead of myself here, but I do want to be prepared to research specific areas.

I'm interviewing for a spot at the coffee giant in the corporate office located in Seattle, for which I am very excited I must add. Getting back to the NW would be wonderful. I'm currently in Houston, TX and I feel a little out of place at times. I spent 20 years in the the NW, mostly in Portland and now I have an opportunity to possibly return.

Anyway, I would be moving back with my wife and 2 daughters, 11 and 8. One is a soccer player and the other a gymnast, and both very good at what they do and where I live will be a combination of the best gym, soccer club and commute for myself. My wife works from the home. I will be renting a home and would be looking to not spend more than 2k in rent, preferably less. I need family oriented communities and a commute of not more than an hour from the corporate HQ's. I'd like less of a commute but an hour commute is really nothing to me as I've been doing it for years.

I am somewhat familiar with Seattle, but not the individual suburbs because I never really had to be. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 12:34 PM

20 posts, read 44,613 times
You could try the eastside. They always had really good girls HS soccer teams, Woodinville, Redmond HS to name a few. Not sure if you mean Starbucks HQs or what, which I think is in SoDo. Roosevelt HS in Seattle has good soccer teams. There are a lot of select soccer teams in Seattle, soccer is huge here! As for gymnastics, I haven't a clue! I know of the gym in Lake City, other than that....no idea!! You could try Shoreline or Lake Forest Park. Shorecrest had good soccer, too.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap517 View Post
You could try the eastside. They always had really good girls HS soccer teams, Woodinville, Redmond HS to name a few. Not sure if you mean Starbucks HQs or what, which I think is in SoDo. Roosevelt HS in Seattle has good soccer teams. There are a lot of select soccer teams in Seattle, soccer is huge here! As for gymnastics, I haven't a clue! I know of the gym in Lake City, other than that....no idea!! You could try Shoreline or Lake Forest Park. Shorecrest had good soccer, too.

Thanks, and I do mean Starbucks HQ. I'm not quite sure what SoDo is...South Downtown? I'm familiar with a lot of the soccer clubs in the area, and after doing a little research a located a gymnastics facility in Auburn and one in Mount Lake Terrace. My daughter isn't high school age yet, so she'd be playing club soccer. How would the commute be from Auburn, and the Eastside to south downtown?

Thanks again!

Old 04-22-2011, 02:42 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,897,270 times
Sodo = South of (King)Dome. Might as well call it South Downtown, since KingDome is no longer there.

Bellevue (Eastside) is a lot closer to Seattle DT than Auburn is. At most it'll be 20 mins (but of course can vary, depending where in Bellevue you live). Bellevue also has a couple gymnastic facilities (one of them being Gymnastics East USA). There are people from Issaquah who take the bus to DT and it takes them 23 mins. to get to DT.

Auburn on the other hand, with no traffic will take about half an hour. On a good day (with traffic) you can expect about 40 mins.

You should be able to find more facilities than those two you listed. Or you could look into the community center of whatever town you move into, they usually offer gymnastics as one of the kids' activities.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:19 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,699 posts, read 81,529,753 times
Either Bellevue or Issaquah, or Sammamish will suit you well. I am in a carpool from Sammamish to the waterfront, farther than Starbuck's and it's about
40 minutes from here at 7am.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:30 AM

Thanks Inpoe and bisjoe, I've read a lot of good things about Issaquah and Sammamish, and of course Bellevue. My wife will certainly be glad that I don't have to disqualify Bellevue because that was her immediate first choice.

I know there are a lot more choices for gymnastics. I only chose the top 3 based on results for their optional program this year. Gymnastics East was 3rd behind the other 2 I mentioned above.

I will take a 20-40 minute commute anyday!!! My commute now is 45 mins to work and 1 hour home on a normal day. I don't mind my commute, it's downtime for me.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:51 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,534,132 times
The best family friendly neighborhoods in my opinion are those w/ either a NW or NE address (but not near Lake City Way in the NE). Particularly Ballard, Greenwood, Phinney Ridge, Wallingford, Green Lake, Wedgwood, Roosevelt, Maple Leaf, View Ridge, and Laurelhurst. I think Ballard or Wallingford would be ideal -- you'll see cute houses, safe neighborhoods, neighborhood schools, strollers, parks, restaurants, libraries, community grocery stores, unique shops, etc...

Seattle Rentals Maps, Neighborhood Info

Just fyi, here's a Seattle Public Schools address tool that lists attendance area school by address. Just plug in any address:
http://district.seattleschools.org/m...fb2aff429b7ec5

List of public schools w/ attendance area maps:
http://district.seattleschools.org/m...fb2aff429b7ec5

Old 04-25-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
The best family friendly neighborhoods in my opinion are those w/ either a NW or NE address (but not near Lake City Way in the NE). Particularly Ballard, Greenwood, Phinney Ridge, Wallingford, Green Lake, Wedgwood, Roosevelt, Maple Leaf, View Ridge, and Laurelhurst. I think Ballard or Wallingford would be ideal -- you'll see cute houses, safe neighborhoods, neighborhood schools, strollers, parks, restaurants, libraries, community grocery stores, unique shops, etc...

Seattle Rentals Maps, Neighborhood Info

Just fyi, here's a Seattle Public Schools address tool that lists attendance area school by address. Just plug in any address:
Seattle Public Schools - Search for Attendance Area Schools

List of public schools w/ attendance area maps:
Seattle Public Schools - School Directory
Hey West Seatlle Gal, are these neighborhoods in Seattle the city?

Old 04-25-2011, 03:24 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,544,062 times
Well I would agree with the Eastside recommendation. We live in Sammamish personally and enjoy it very much. We are in Issaquah School District and have been very pleased with our experience. My neighbor works at Starbucks HQ and his commute is under an hour typically. You could check out Gymnastics East for one daughter

Gymnastics East USA

And for soccer, there are several levels to choose from including Rec, Select, and Premier with each of those having a few levels of teams in them. EYSA is the Eastside Youth Soccer Association and you can check out the different clubs that belong to it. Their website will give you links to various clubs.

http://www.eysa.org/home.php

I know rentals in Sammamish go very fast due to the schools being excellent out here. I don't know how much space you need and am not sure if 2K gets you what you need but it might. I know my realtor helped a friend of mine look for a rental though in the end he told her Craigslist is her best bet. But they go fast!

Good luck on your move!!

Old 04-26-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
Well I would agree with the Eastside recommendation. We live in Sammamish personally and enjoy it very much. We are in Issaquah School District and have been very pleased with our experience. My neighbor works at Starbucks HQ and his commute is under an hour typically. You could check out Gymnastics East for one daughter

Gymnastics East USA

And for soccer, there are several levels to choose from including Rec, Select, and Premier with each of those having a few levels of teams in them. EYSA is the Eastside Youth Soccer Association and you can check out the different clubs that belong to it. Their website will give you links to various clubs.

http://www.eysa.org/home.php

I know rentals in Sammamish go very fast due to the schools being excellent out here. I don't know how much space you need and am not sure if 2K gets you what you need but it might. I know my realtor helped a friend of mine look for a rental though in the end he told her Craigslist is her best bet. But they go fast!

Good luck on your move!!
Thanks TexasTriGirl! So far the Eastside is exactly what I'm looking for! I say 2k because that's what I'm paying now. I know I won't be able to rent the type of house I'm now for that kind of cash there, but I really don't need that. I just want a safe neighborhood, within an hour of work and near to the Gym we choose and the soccer club. Other daughter plays what would be called Premier there. We just call it Division 1, or competitive soccer.

Are most of the suburbs around Seattle within an hour commute of S-bucks HQ. I just want to know which area's NOT to look at. I have family in the area so luckily I won't be flying blind when I do have to house hunt. Of course considering I get the position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area