Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2009, 12:26 PM

1 posts, read 10,152 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I'm an oklahoman, born & raised, but I have really poor eyesight and have never been able to drive. If any of you are farmilliar with OKC you know how HUGE it is, but you may not know how unbelievable inferior our public transport is. Bad operationg hours and no Sundays, limited locations, ect. Plus its too big to walk a lot of places; even though I live in a fairly populated area with lots of stores & restaurants, I have to cross 5, 6 lane roads with no pedestrian crossing. I almost get run over once a week walking to work. So basically, life for me is a struggle to go to the store for necessities, attend events, have a social life.

So I'm looking to move there, but I wanted to find out how effective the bus system is, and what other means of public transport are available. Do they run from rural areas to downtown, how late & early do they run, does anyone have any advice or info that would be useful? What parts of town are going to have the highest concentration of transportation?

Appreciate any guidance that is given.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 12:56 AM

14 posts, read 51,226 times
Public transportation in Seattle is very good. Generally speaking, most places within a 15-minute drive of downtown are well covered by multiple bus routes. There are transit hubs in several non-downtown areas (eg. University District, Northgate), and there some areas further afield where a bus commute can actually be shorter than the drive (due to reserved HOV lanes).

I suggest you check out Metro Online Home Page (http://transit.metrokc.gov - broken link) for the full scoop - in particular, check out the Trip Planner section to see how long it takes to get from one place to another by bus; the system will accept place names, not just addresses, so you can work from known landmarks.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:11 PM

187 posts, read 577,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebiii View Post
Hello all! I'm an oklahoman, born & raised, but I have really poor eyesight and have never been able to drive. If any of you are farmilliar with OKC you know how HUGE it is, but you may not know how unbelievable inferior our public transport is. Bad operationg hours and no Sundays, limited locations, ect. Plus its too big to walk a lot of places; even though I live in a fairly populated area with lots of stores & restaurants, I have to cross 5, 6 lane roads with no pedestrian crossing. I almost get run over once a week walking to work. So basically, life for me is a struggle to go to the store for necessities, attend events, have a social life.

So I'm looking to move there, but I wanted to find out how effective the bus system is, and what other means of public transport are available. Do they run from rural areas to downtown, how late & early do they run, does anyone have any advice or info that would be useful? What parts of town are going to have the highest concentration of transportation?

Appreciate any guidance that is given.
There are many very walkable neighborhoods that are well serviced by public transportation. Some of my personal favorites are Fremont, Wallingford, Ballard, and Capitol Hill.

Depending on the route, some buses will run until 1AM. There are a couple "night owl" buses that start service at 2AM and run until 5AM - but service is pretty spotty. Most of the buses begin running at 5AM I believe (maybe earlier, I'm never up that early anyway!)

Here's a map to help you with the issue of bus lines: Metro Transit Regional Map

Also, you can use http://www.walkscore.com/rankings/Seattle to get a better picture of how walkable a neighborhood is.

Best of luck!

Old 06-01-2009, 07:52 PM

93 posts, read 308,041 times
Public Transportation out there does an excellent job of getting you downtown, yet a horrible job of getting anywhere else

Old 08-02-2009, 06:15 PM

122 posts, read 318,411 times
Public transit here is NOT good, do not fall for the hype. You want to move to Portland, not Seattle.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:23 PM

343 posts, read 1,085,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinseattle View Post
Public transit here is NOT good, do not fall for the hype. You want to move to Portland, not Seattle.
This, of course, coming from someone who's screen name is "stuckinseattle". Anyway, the bus system is pretty good, and most neighborhoods are very walkable. Light rail just opened from Tukwila to Westlake Center, and over the next few years will be expanded.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:17 PM

318 posts, read 951,049 times
Compared to other large cities, Seattle falls a little behind in public transportation, but service is much better than it is in OKC. I can travel between any major commuter corridor just fine by bus. By the way, stuckinseattle, just curious, how often do you use public transit?

Old 08-03-2009, 01:46 PM

178 posts, read 584,817 times
It's all relative. Compared to OKC, I expect the Seattle system will be an improvement but it still consists of mostly non-airconditioned buses. If you live on Capitol Hill or right adjacent to downtown, it will suffice for commuting to and from work however. Compared to Portland, San Francisco, Chicago, New York, Boston, etc. the Seattle system is weak.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:25 PM

187 posts, read 577,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by argo69 View Post
It's all relative. Compared to OKC, I expect the Seattle system will be an improvement but it still consists of mostly non-airconditioned buses. If you live on Capitol Hill or right adjacent to downtown, it will suffice for commuting to and from work however. Compared to Portland, San Francisco, Chicago, New York, Boston, etc. the Seattle system is weak.
Seattle's light rail and street car line is obviously just starting out and does not hold a candle to Portland's. That being said, Seattle's bus system is far more thorough than that of Portland. What people seem to forget is that, although trains are shiny and new and all the uber-hip rage these days, the route is fixed and cannot possibly service every neighborhood. Buses however, can be added to service new neighborhoods and routes can be modified. Don't get me wrong, I like the new light rail system and am hopeful the street car line will also get extended to high density neighborhoods, but a well rounded system of both buses and rail is needed.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:11 AM

17 posts, read 43,715 times
After all my internet searching, I have to agree with almost everyone here,,, I am also going to move to Seattle. And I am not bringing my car. Its way too old, and it will allow me extra money for other things, since I will be only living on my Social Security and hopefully a part-time job.

I won't be moving till the end of September, but am still looking right now for just a studio apartment. I have found they have those in the Pikes Market Place, where you have to be 62 or over to live in them. I then have found one in the Northgate area, where there is the Northgate Mall, and lots of other services available. I want to find one more apartment complex so I have a choice of 3. And they all have to have good Public Transportation.

When I moved here to Reno,NV. I had a car. Then one day it just died. And I was left using what public transportation they have here. Very Very poor indeed. So, I'm very excited to know that even though the Sounder has not been around that long in Seattle, it will come in handy when I need it. Oh,, and I also see that it is a free ride in some areas?? am I correct in that?? would like some feed back on that.

I think ebiii will really enjoy the public transportation in Seattle when he/she gets there. I know I will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area