Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 02:49 PM

17,550 posts, read 39,181,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter the Brit View Post
I agree Sarasota has a better artist community then St Augustine. Against that we have a better music arts community.
The "ghost tour/walks" are cheesy and touristy. Against that we have the ghosts and history which is part of the attraction. Anything old in Sarasota is knocked down and replaced with characterless buildings.
Peter I have to agree with you on the point about Sarasota knocking all their neat old stuff down. That is definitely one of the few negatives (IMO of course) about this city. The new architecture is OK, but most of it has no real inspiration, just a lot of neo-Tuscan and pseudo Mediterranean stuff. For people that love clean and new, I guess it's a plus. Me, I love funky and old. In that regard I actually prefer St. Petersburg over either of these two cities.

That said, Sarasota, St. Pete and St. Augustine are my three favorite cities in Florida, and all for different reasons. For living, right now Sarasota fills the bill. If I ever did move, however, it would probably be to St. Pete. Can't leave the Gulf side!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 02:49 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,637,422 times
I should add one other positive factor for me.
I found Sarasota to far from anywhere. I am over the Georgia border and in Savannah in 2 hours, and the hills in 4 hours. When I lived in Sarasota it took me 4 hours on a boring freeway to get out of the State. I do not like airplane travel so now I can get around the Southern U.S states on weekends.
I also love St Petes but the history, weather and location are MY three main reasons for resettling over here.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter the Brit View Post
I should add one other positive fact for me.
I found Sarasota to far from anywhere. I am over the Georgia boder and in Savanah in 2 hours, and the hills in 4 hours. When I lived in Sarasota it took me 4 hours on a boring freeway to get out of the State. I do not like airplane travel so now I can get around the Southern U.S states on weekends.
That's a good point for those who want to travel a lot.

I wanted to ask you, Peter, does St. Aug. still have the "buskers" playing music on the streets? That's one thing I always love in a town. Never see too many in downtown Sarasota except on Farmer's market day.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:56 PM

Yes buskers are still here but they have to be 50 feet from the main street.
Acutually they are part of the downtown character.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:01 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,939,274 times
I would have to agree on the time it takes to get out of Florida. It is somewhat of a boring drive if you're going I75 and I4.

I also hate it when I see historically significant buildings being knocked down to make way for new buildings. The old John Ringling Towers are a perfect example of that.

I think because I was forced to spend so much time there as a kid I just grew to not be too fond of it.

Then my husband's annual family reunion was there a year or so ago. I thought I was going to pull my hair out. I'll have to say that the kids did like the surf the weekend we went.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:15 PM

As I have said to visit and to live are two different perspectives and each to their own.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:05 PM

57 posts, read 144,643 times
Simply an opinion of mine with the comparison of Sarasota and St. Augustine: We visited both while we were investigating where we wanted to move back to when we left the Caribbean. Being a North Carolina native and loving cities with quaint downtowns and historical landmarks (Wilmington, NC, Charleston, SC, Savannah, GA), we had high hopes of St. Augustine being the place for us...I could get up to see my folks in NC, hubby would be close to family in Tallahassee and St. George Island, FL. We were soooo disappointed! We felt as if they were trying too hard to push the "historical-ness" (not a word but it works in my description when they really didn't have to. We were longing for a mini-Charleston, smaller Savannah, or at least the lazy, laid-back Wilmington, NC, vibe and just didn't get it at all. The beaches were not a pretty sight to us (neither is Charleston though) and we just came away very disappointed (not to mention, they have winter...certainly more than I want, especially after not having to deal with one at all for 4 years!!) which led us to look at Stuart, Jupiter, Naples and Sarasota. Immediately upon our arrival, driving down Anna Maria, Longboat Key, St. Armands and over the Sarasota Bay to downtown, we just liked the "feel" of the area. I think everyone HAS to do their own pre-move visits to places to see what works for them. It truly is such an individual thing and difficult for anyone else to say what is right or wrong for each person asking. Visit both, several times if necessary, and take it from there. You'll be happy you did...we are!!

Old 03-01-2011, 06:23 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,939,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilatesgal318 View Post
Simply an opinion of mine with the comparison of Sarasota and St. Augustine: We visited both while we were investigating where we wanted to move back to when we left the Caribbean. Being a North Carolina native and loving cities with quaint downtowns and historical landmarks (Wilmington, NC, Charleston, SC, Savannah, GA), we had high hopes of St. Augustine being the place for us...I could get up to see my folks in NC, hubby would be close to family in Tallahassee and St. George Island, FL. We were soooo disappointed! We felt as if they were trying too hard to push the "historical-ness" (not a word but it works in my description when they really didn't have to. We were longing for a mini-Charleston, smaller Savannah, or at least the lazy, laid-back Wilmington, NC, vibe and just didn't get it at all. The beaches were not a pretty sight to us (neither is Charleston though) and we just came away very disappointed (not to mention, they have winter...certainly more than I want, especially after not having to deal with one at all for 4 years!!) which led us to look at Stuart, Jupiter, Naples and Sarasota. Immediately upon our arrival, driving down Anna Maria, Longboat Key, St. Armands and over the Sarasota Bay to downtown, we just liked the "feel" of the area. I think everyone HAS to do their own pre-move visits to places to see what works for them. It truly is such an individual thing and difficult for anyone else to say what is right or wrong for each person asking. Visit both, several times if necessary, and take it from there. You'll be happy you did...we are!!
This ^^^ is exactly my feelings toward both cities but I think you put it a little more eloquent then I did

Old 03-02-2011, 06:21 AM

57 posts, read 144,643 times
Thanks, SoFLGal! Apparently, I was in a writing mood yesterday Just wanted to put my opinion out there since this was a recent process for us and any information/feedback to help others is a good thing, I think!

Old 03-02-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilatesgal318 View Post
Thanks, SoFLGal! Apparently, I was in a writing mood yesterday Just wanted to put my opinion out there since this was a recent process for us and any information/feedback to help others is a good thing, I think!
I always enjoy reading about the experiences of people newly relocated to our area. Pilatesgal, you put it very well, those are my feelings also, about St. Augustine. It is a cute little town, but hate that you have to buy a ticket for anything historic, and the throngs of people and traffic in the old town area get old real quick. For beaches, nothing compares to what we have here. Yes, only my opinion, but my opinion is what counts for me! lol!

Have a good one, all, it is BEAUTIFUL out there today!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area