Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 11:11 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I know SoCal has busier freeways, but I have yet to see a freeway down there so infested with as many bad drivers as 880.

But who knows?
You've obviously never driven in San Diego lol

Although here, they're kind of scattered around, not so much concentrated in one area.

I agree, 880 is just wrong! Of all the freeways I've been on in the Bay Area, Los Angeles, San Diego and Seattle, 880 is the worse for me. Not just because of the drivers but because it's in such disrepair. I'm sure there are some stretches in LA I need to see but 880 takes the cake as far as I'm concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 11:34 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
You've obviously never driven in San Diego lol

Although here, they're kind of scattered around, not so much concentrated in one area.

I agree, 880 is just wrong! Of all the freeways I've been on in the Bay Area, Los Angeles, San Diego and Seattle, 880 is the worse for me. Not just because of the drivers but because it's in such disrepair. I'm sure there are some stretches in LA I need to see but 880 takes the cake as far as I'm concerned.
The drivers in San Diego are way better than the Bay Area, nearly all of my friends in the Bay Area have noticed that too. People here actually understand this concept called a "fast lane".

Old 02-17-2010, 11:41 AM

328 posts, read 306,620 times
880 Is horrible, no way around it. Freeway shootings, Road Rage, Drunk Drivers, Bad Pot Holes, it's just bad. Comparing it to other places makes no sense and does not change the fact that 880 is one of the worst places to drive. The two right lanes are bone jarring.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:13 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakland City View Post
880 Is horrible, no way around it. Freeway shootings, Road Rage, Drunk Drivers, Bad Pot Holes, it's just bad. Comparing it to other places makes no sense and does not change the fact that 880 is one of the worst places to drive. The two right lanes are bone jarring.
Tell me about it! That should be illegal it's so horrible.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:51 PM

628 posts, read 1,436,247 times
I've missed the same exit repeatedly on that freeway, when I lived in SF. I don't really know why either. :ee k:

Old 02-19-2010, 09:32 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedtowardssalad View Post
I've missed the same exit repeatedly on that freeway, when I lived in SF. I don't really know why either. :ee k:
Let me guess.. 5th/Embarcadero?

Old 02-19-2010, 09:41 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,322,250 times
lol 880 south of Union City isn't bad..
but from hayward north to oakland its a freakin nightmare.. i hate driving on it regardless of day or time.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:07 AM

206 posts, read 416,461 times
Well I used to work in the city and commute to the east bay before moving to L.A. Mostly took BART, but once a week drove. Mostly did Dumbarton and then on to 280. I think 280 all the way from foothill to where it branches off into the city is pretty nice. You can hit 80-85 and not even know it . Very nice freeway and everybody is flowing.

880 -till about south of Oakland is jammed, narrow and only has 55mph . before that you hit what looks like wide open space and you just accelerate. But I must admit, I have never seen so many people doing below the speed limit hog the left lane. Then you go to the right to pass-because it is empty-then zoom up again! It is just an odd freeway. Towards San Jose , you have congestion-much worse when they only had two lanes each way near the 101 and that is where you were trying to get in from the 101 and then somewhat empty and then congestion near the 92 and the 580 and then full congestion reaching Oakland. Kinda throws you off . 280 is just smooth traffic all through. Plus in 880 nothing to see, you just drive as fast as you can so you can get off!

Now LA I wish someday I can drive as fast as 880-unless you drive in the middle of the night, I think it is fair to say you won't receive a speeding ticket here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland