Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 10:31 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,397,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
So I was driving home from the Union City WalMart at around 1130 and this guy just tailgates me--the freeway is not busy and he is like right on my @ss. So I try to move and he moves and then he turns off his headlights-then turns on his highbeam..and so I go up to 80MPH and he follows me all the way to 92 and thet he gets off.
Was that you I was harrassing? haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 11:31 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,275,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Anyone else remember the Bumper Sticker that read, "Pray for me, I drive the Nimitz"

For those that are not local... every Freeway has a name.

East Bay Freeways include the Nimitz, MacArthur, Warren, Shafter, Breed amongst others...
I just don't drive on 880. I found I can get around quite well without it. I can even get from Jack London Square to 98th Ave without going on the freeway... and I figured out I didn't have to go onto Alameda island.... although sometimes I do anyway.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:41 PM

36,661 posts, read 67,572,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Was that you I was harrassing? haha

Tonight on my way back from San Jose I only encountered the standard speedracers who weave in and out of lanes without signaling, the random big rig doing 85MPH, the normal tailgating as if their lives depended on it and one normal little police chase.

880 as usual.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I just don't drive on 880. I found I can get around quite well without it. I can even get from Jack London Square to 98th Ave without going on the freeway... and I figured out I didn't have to go onto Alameda island.... although sometimes I do anyway.
I did that this morning going along Embarcadero then into Alameda on the Park St Bridge then over to Fernside Bl and over that other bridge to Bay Farm Island then that back road to Doolittle(?) and from there I got back on at Davis St.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
My Dad always told me to avoid the Nimitz and take the Mac Arthur whenever I can since Trucks are banned on the Mac Arthur within Oakland.
580 does seem much more mellow.

Sometimes the worst traffic is crosstown traffic in Oakland trying to from 580 to 880 or vice versa. Fruitvale and 35th and High Street can be bogged down since they are so narrow.

Quote:
A family friend, driving a VW Bug was killed in 1972 on the Nimitz when a truck merged into her land and her little car became wedged under the trailer of the Tractor Trailer...
Yikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly
Back in the Hwy 17 days it was already the Nasty Nimitz.

Wonder if that was the case even earlier when it was still called "US-101 E" and was only 2 lanes? (Before my time, for sure)
101 E--never knew that one!

I remember when it was 3 lanes on each side and I think around South Hayward it was like 2 lanes on each side. I remember back in the late 80s when they started widening it to the monstrocity that it is today.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:56 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,397,757 times
Quote:

Tonight on my way back from San Jose I only encountered the standard speedracers who weave in and out of lanes without signaling, the random big rig doing 85MPH, the normal tailgating as if their lives depended on it and one normal little police chase.

880 as usual.
Yep, I was just kidding. 880 is a mess I agree. Criminals, rogue drivers, and speeding trucks galore. I rarely travel it. 280 is much nicer.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:13 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,165,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Yep, I was just kidding. 880 is a mess I agree. Criminals, rogue drivers, and speeding trucks galore. I rarely travel it. 280 is much nicer.
280 goes through half of the most expensive ZIP codes in the Bay Area, of course it's going to be nicer..

Old 09-11-2009, 10:38 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,275,966 times
Quote:
I did that this morning going along Embarcadero then into Alameda on the Park St Bridge then over to Fernside Bl and over that other bridge to Bay Farm Island then that back road to Doolittle(?) and from there I got back on at Davis St.
My husband goes crazy because I don't take 880... so when I'm with him, I do. Unless I forget. (For some strange reason, I drive most of the time)

Because I was raised in a rather rural area, and learned to drive there (first on a small tractor at age 8! ) I don't do well in traffic. He handles city driving.

And because I don't like traffic coming at me in two directions on the freeway, you'll find me toodling around in the slow lane.... or zooming up the fast lane .

Turns out my little Matrix likes 80-90....

Old 09-11-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
My husband goes crazy because I don't take 880... so when I'm with him, I do. Unless I forget. (For some strange reason, I drive most of the time)

Because I was raised in a rather rural area, and learned to drive there (first on a small tractor at age 8! ) I don't do well in traffic. He handles city driving.

And because I don't like traffic coming at me in two directions on the freeway, you'll find me toodling around in the slow lane.... or zooming up the fast lane .

Turns out my little Matrix likes 80-90....
Matrix is a nice looking car. I always liked its styling.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:37 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,610,118 times
As someone who just moved to the Bay Area from LA, I had to revive this thread and add my two cents. 880 has got to be the absolute worst freeway I've ever driven on. Nothing down in LA, not even the 710 before the recent resurfacing, compares to it. Cars shouldn't even be allowed to drive on that one portion just south of downtown Oakland; it's so bumpy with so many (enormous) potholes, I kept on thinking I had blown out a tire. And yes, the drivers on 880 are complete nut cases.

Why in the world haven't they done something to fix this road (or at least that one stretch)? It really is this one freeway that sticks out in the entire Bay Area. By comparison, 24 just a few miles away is one of the smoothest freeways I've ever driven on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland