Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 09:14 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,040,879 times

Advertisements

Seems like we have a consensus on jerk Prius drivers here. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 12:22 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,552,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I do the same, but I usually try to assume that they're OK with my speed if they're in my lane, and anyone will look aggressive if they are changing speeds even if they don't mean to. If they want to go around they can go around. If they want to say hello to my rear bumper, my insurance company will be happy to say hello back.
Generally agree, except that I hate having a car on my tail for more than a few minutes, especially when they could easily go around. I usually give them a few minutes to figure out that the speed I'm going isn't going to change, then try to jolt them out of their slumber if they don't figure it out. I have on rare occasions actually moved over to the left to allow someone to pass on the right, when they ride my tail for more than 10 minutes and refuse to get the message.

I don't think there's anything wrong with driving slow in the slow lane, however the only defensible reason to be in the fast lanes is if you are moving faster than traffic to your right.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:25 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,552,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Coming from TX the number of slow drivers everywhere in bay area drives me insane. If they go to TX they will get run over by big SUVs and semi trucks. Over there people drive 85-90 mph bumper to bumper within city limits. TX is changing speed limit to 85 mph on some freeways.
Wow, that's insane. Most cars will get about half their optimum fuel economy at that speed; large SUVs will get about a third.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:17 PM

28 posts, read 41,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
If they're going too slow on the freeway, they're probably messing with their phone gadget. It's these people, not the fast ones, who constitute the most grave danger to the rest of us.
This. I'm visiting SF this week and twice when I thought to myself "why the heck is this guy in front of me driving so slow?" it was bcuz of their phone. It looked like the second guy was trying to text. I really wish I could have reported him. A few minutes later, I passed the $169 fine for texting sign.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:59 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
This year I have noticed a weird trend. Freeway drivers have slowed down about 20%.

I mainly take 880 and 580. And it seems like every time I get on the freeway and head over to the fast lane, I need to hit the brakes. People are traveling at 65-68 mph. In the fast lane. Getting on the freeway is impossible as well. Cars in the first lane are going 45-50.

If you want to hit 70 you need to cross your fingers and try your luck in lane 2 or 3. Anyone noticed similar?
Yes. And I also notice lots of "DWT" - any correlation here, one must wonder .... or, should I have written ... Y n I c ltsa DWT, WTF?

Old 04-04-2013, 03:30 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,280,243 times
I have noticed this as well. I asked my uncle about it because he is a Prius jockey. It turns out, that rather than looking at the speedometer, he pays attention to the display that tells him what his MPG is and adjusts his speed to maximize mileage. I wonder if other Prius folk do the same?

Old 04-04-2013, 07:18 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
Wow, that's insane. Most cars will get about half their optimum fuel economy at that speed; large SUVs will get about a third.
Well back in TX people have much higher disposable income due to very low housing cost. So everyone spends a lot of money on big cars and gas. I would also think the average commute is shorter than bay area. Besides, TX freeways are very smooth, well designed and flat and you always drive on freeways within city limits. So that saves fuel compared to insane stop and go city traffic in bay area. In SF cars acerage 60-70% of EPA estimated city mileage due to constant stop and go traffic and hills. In the sunset you easily hit 40 stop signs to go 2 miles!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland