Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 05:16 AM

34 posts, read 482,048 times

Advertisements

I am moving to SD around Sept 15th and I'm so excited and very happy to see there are lots of things that interest me in the city. Hello to all.

Just curious...Can you only join libraries within a certain range? How does this work? Also, do you have to pay or have a college pass? Thanks so much.
Leah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 07:33 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,983,727 times
In my opinion, San Diego's public library system is one of the best in the country!

There is no charge to get a library card, but you must show proof that you are a current resident of San Diego (either homeowner or renter).

Some of the biggest branches are located in Downtown, Mission Valley, Pacific Beach and La Jolla.

There are lots of smaller branches located all over San Diego. Many of the smaller branches are slowly being rebuilt, so that there will be lots of larger branches during the next 10 years. See this website:

Library Building Projects | San Diego Public Library (http://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/about-the-library/projects.shtml - broken link)

With a SDPL card, you can borrow materials from any branch and return them to any branch you choose.

The library has a website which lets you reserve materials online, and have them sent them to the branch closest to your home when they become available. They e-mail you when the materials arrive. There is no charge to reserve the item, but if you don't pick it up within 7 days, then there is a small charge (around $1).

San Diego Public Library | City of San Diego

You can also renew your materials on the website.

You can borrow books and music cds for up to 3 weeks, and renew them once for another 3 weeks, for a total of 6 weeks, however, you can only renew as long as nobody else is waiting for the same item (i.e. has it on reserve).

All of the libraries offer free WiFi, and also have computers available to use the internet for free. The bigger branches like La Jolla and Mission Valley have the most computers on site. The WiFi is available 24 hours a day, so if you need to get online when the library is closed, you can bring a laptop and stand outside the library door.

San Diego County has a separate library system which does not interact with the San Diego Public Library. So if you live in the city of Poway for example, their library is not connected with the above SDPL system. However, Poway's library is connected with other nearby libraries outside of the city of San Diego.

Last edited by RD5050; 08-27-2008 at 07:50 AM..

Old 08-27-2008, 09:02 AM

1,504 posts, read 6,151,186 times
I'll also add that there is a HUGE well-known library in UCSD, you can even see the library building on postcards from San Diego. It's 8 floors, if I remember correctly. They have nearly every scientific book published in English in the last 50 years, and probably many of those that were published in other languages. You can't check out books unless you're connected to the university (you're a student or an employee), but you are free to come in and browse.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:25 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,891,659 times
You can get a reciprocal State (San Diego State University) library card for a small annual fee too. But I could get everything from my County library. Their online system is the best, I'd just search and order from home then go pick it up -easy!

Old 08-27-2008, 03:46 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,992,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
In my opinion, San Diego's public library system is one of the best in the country!

There is no charge to get a library card, but you must show proof that you are a current resident of San Diego (either homeowner or renter).

Some of the biggest branches are located in Downtown, Mission Valley, Pacific Beach and La Jolla.

There are lots of smaller branches located all over San Diego. Many of the smaller branches are slowly being rebuilt, so that there will be lots of larger branches during the next 10 years. See this website:

Library Building Projects | San Diego Public Library (http://www.sandiego.gov/public-library/about-the-library/projects.shtml - broken link)

With a SDPL card, you can borrow materials from any branch and return them to any branch you choose.

The library has a website which lets you reserve materials online, and have them sent them to the branch closest to your home when they become available. They e-mail you when the materials arrive. There is no charge to reserve the item, but if you don't pick it up within 7 days, then there is a small charge (around $1).

San Diego Public Library | City of San Diego

You can also renew your materials on the website.

You can borrow books and music cds for up to 3 weeks, and renew them once for another 3 weeks, for a total of 6 weeks, however, you can only renew as long as nobody else is waiting for the same item (i.e. has it on reserve).

All of the libraries offer free WiFi, and also have computers available to use the internet for free. The bigger branches like La Jolla and Mission Valley have the most computers on site. The WiFi is available 24 hours a day, so if you need to get online when the library is closed, you can bring a laptop and stand outside the library door.

San Diego County has a separate library system which does not interact with the San Diego Public Library. So if you live in the city of Poway for example, their library is not connected with the above SDPL system. However, Poway's library is connected with other nearby libraries outside of the city of San Diego.
Hey RD, sounds like you know the SDPL system well. Do you work in a library? Just curious since I am attending an MLIS program in the spring.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:39 PM

349 posts, read 1,544,806 times
We love the local libraries here in Chula Vista. My friend lives near the big one in Mission Valley (near Ikea) and I actually find more at my little local library because they have more people checking out materials up there. We pay $20 a year for dvd's. When Blockbuster is out of a particular movie, we usually find them for free at our library and wonder why we even go to Blockbuster. We are also able to request purchases. Our libraries have a great selection of books, magazines, music, and books on tape. Whenever I'm looking for a particular book or travel guide I can usually find them at our library or order from another.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:10 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,983,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
Hey RD, sounds like you know the SDPL system well. Do you work in a library? Just curious since I am attending an MLIS program in the spring.
No, I don't work at the library. I just use it often to borrow materials, so I'm very familiar with it.

I've also visited many of the different branches all over San Diego, which is how I found out that Poway uses a different library system than the city of San Diego.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:55 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,933,303 times
What's the deal with the bad quality, scratches of these library DVDs? Any useful cures, tricks to get them to work?

Old 08-29-2008, 02:42 PM

21 posts, read 77,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
What's the deal with the bad quality, scratches of these library DVDs? Any useful cures, tricks to get them to work?
I picked up one of the hand-operated dvd cleaners, they're called semi-auto radial cleaning systems. Basically theyre round plastic clamshell-type thing, you spray the cleaner on it, close it up and rotate a few times by hand and thats the cleanest theyre probably gonna get. If they dont work then theyre probably toast. You can find these kits at best buy, radio shack, etc.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:49 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,933,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOfSteel View Post
I picked up one of the hand-operated dvd cleaners, they're called semi-auto radial cleaning systems. Basically theyre round plastic clamshell-type thing, you spray the cleaner on it, close it up and rotate a few times by hand and thats the cleanest theyre probably gonna get. If they dont work then theyre probably toast. You can find these kits at best buy, radio shack, etc.
why not just use windex and a clean rag?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego