Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 10:31 AM

254 posts, read 434,326 times

Advertisements

Back in the early 90s when I was about 11-12 years old, my father took me to San Diego for a long weekend.

I have a picture, wearing typical laughable attire of the 90s, but I'm standing in front of a wooden Indian outside of some shop in Old Town. My wife came across it many years later, and continues to laugh about it today. She still keeps it in a cookbook and pulls it out from time to time at my expense.

Since we're heading there (now for my second trip to SD) next month, she'd love to see the Indian and "recreate" the photo...minus the mullet-esque haircut I had. lol

Does anyone know where/if I can find him in Old Town still?
I know it's a long-shot, but maybe, just maybe, it's an iconic thing and it's still around.

Bonus Question...
We're flying into Orange County for a few days first.

What's the recommended route to take coming down from OC to SD? I'd LOVE it if I could take a scenic route. Can I take the PCH (SR1, right?) all the way down?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 10:54 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,587,239 times
Is this the wooden Indian?

Indian statue SD old town | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 03-12-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
That's him! Any idea where to find him? Or will it be easy to find?

Old 03-12-2013, 11:01 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,587,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNDHOG View Post
That's him! Any idea where to find him? Or will it be easy to find?
Here's the address: Racine & Laramie of Old Town

Old 03-12-2013, 01:21 PM

Thanks Cruitr!

Old 03-12-2013, 01:40 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,453,934 times
I love a happy ending! How about posting a pic, when you find the ole guy?

Old 03-12-2013, 04:22 PM

444 posts, read 666,482 times
Only route from the OC down to SD that I know of would be I-5 South. It gets scenic in the Camp Pendleton area with "scenic stops" with views of the Pacific right off the freeway, that's if you plan on stopping in the middle of your drive. Enjoy!

Old 03-13-2013, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I love a happy ending! How about posting a pic, when you find the ole guy?
You got it. Perhaps a "before and after" haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongozx View Post
Only route from the OC down to SD that I know of would be I-5 South. It gets scenic in the Camp Pendleton area with "scenic stops" with views of the Pacific right off the freeway, that's if you plan on stopping in the middle of your drive. Enjoy!

Cool, That's what I figured. We're in no hurry, so I was hoping for a non-interstate route. That's okay, just gives us more time to enjoy San Diego

Old 03-13-2013, 06:18 AM

884 posts, read 1,173,485 times
I think PCH gets tricky, you can take it through the OC beaches but it goes inland after awhile and does some weird stops and starts (I think). I remember wanting to do it and not only did it triple the time to get from Newport Beach to San Diego, there were some really weird parts trying to stay on it. I-5 is probably the best way as a previous poster said. There are stopping points along the way that have signs so you know where to stop...I do recommend this, some very pretty views there...and also, I-5 runs near the coast and you can see the water and beaches pretty clearly. If you don't want to drive the Amtrak goes even closer to the water, but then you have to rely on SD's public transit system, and I can't speak for it. It looks like a pretty train ride though!

Old 03-13-2013, 11:12 PM

6 posts, read 9,847 times
From the OC to SD on the PCH is one of my favortie drives ever. Just follow the signs and you will be fine. There is alot of chances to stop and take pics and that kind of thing if you wanted or you could just keep driving and watch the amazing view. No matter what way you take enjoy it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego