Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2008, 06:54 AM

2 posts, read 29,751 times
You guys are killing me! I own a condo in SD and hope to retire there SOON! Right now I am stuck in Kansas City. Thanks for the pics. They are awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 01:17 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,744,290 times
Two weekends ago, a buddy and I headed out to Anza-Borrego Desert State Park to check out the annual wildflower blooms, which is an annual rite of passage in these parts. From my house, it's a mere 85 mile drive through the mountains and down to the desert floor. There is no doubt that San Diego County possesses the most varied climate and topography of any in the entire country.

Here's a glimpse at San Diego's rural side.........

Heading east towards the mountains as seen from El Cajon

Not long ago, Alpine was a small mountain community, now it looks like Rancho Bernardo

It's a two-lane road all the way to the our destination

First stop is one of many roadside stands that sell snacks such as homemade beef jerky, nuts and fruits

Say hello to Pam!

The perfect Sunday drive

As we climb in elevation, it was so sad to see the devastation from the recent wildfires that destroyed the once pine-covered mountains.

Coming up on Lake Cuyamaca

The historic town of Julian is only minutes away

Julian(Pop. 1,600) is an old old mining town founded back in the late 1800's during a mini-Gold Rush. Many of the buildings in town date back to that time. The best time to come here is during the Fall when the smell of Apple pie wafts throughout the charming main drag. It's most beautiful here after a fresh snowfall.

I swear, this place could be picked up and moved to North Carolina and no one would ever know the difference

Can you tell it's a popular daytrip for us city folks?

C'mon, we've still got places to go......

The disappearing vegetation means we are in the unforgiving desert now

Borrego Springs straight ahead

We're here, and I'm beginning to see what we came here for

I guess other people had the same idea. Look at all of the vehicles parked along the side of the road

Unfortunately, the ocotillos hadn't bloomed yet. The tips of this plant are a fiery red and are really cool

The road to nowhere

Heading back to San Diego a different way...

Mountain roads

This could almost be Colorado or Utah. Aaarggh...I wish there was snow on those peaks

Coming up on Santa Ysabel/Ramona

San Diego country roads

Kentucky or San Diego? You decide

Irish countryside?

White picket fence, anyone?

Iron Mountain in eastern Poway. It's one of favorite hikes around. 2,700 foot peak with incredible views from top

Looking down on North Poway from Poway Road

So there you have it, a look at a side of San Diego that you probably never even knew existed!

Old 03-25-2008, 05:00 PM

233 posts, read 886,018 times
Wink Ur the coolest

Always there when I need a pick me up. 4 months 4 days to go

Old 03-25-2008, 06:55 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,357,901 times
Your deserts are prettier than our deserts.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:17 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,948,884 times
Stunning! Every time i look at this thread i can't wait for my move to San Diego this summer! Thanks so much for the awesome pictures! More please!

Old 03-26-2008, 10:06 AM

108 posts, read 386,346 times

La Jolla Shores Sunset

Old 03-26-2008, 01:24 PM

43 posts, read 198,743 times
SDurbanite, thanks so much for posting those pics of the desert and the drive through Julian. I know that drive so well as we have spent countless day trips up there. What a great treat to see all those familiar places again! Your pictures are so appreciated.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:35 PM

8 posts, read 38,776 times
What a drive, Suburbanite. You really captured all of it. I haven't been back to SD since 2001. It's especially sad to see the Cedar fire damage to Middle Peak. But your pictures brought back a wealth of great memories. Thanks for the incredible post!

Chris

Old 03-27-2008, 11:20 AM

124 posts, read 470,735 times
Wow, all those pictures are great! I'm even more impatient to move back to California now. I used to live in Anza many years ago and would drive down to Julian once in awhile. Beautiful country, I so miss it.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:42 PM

1 posts, read 10,644 times
i'll be there in 3 weeks. I'm a french canadian. I'm in a great hurry to get there and enjoy! Wow! gorgeous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego