Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2008, 06:21 PM

10 posts, read 21,105 times

Advertisements

Well here i am again. Im the guy that graduated UCSB and had originally asked on here the basic question SD or San Francisco? Well Im here not only share what I have learned but also to ask something further. Anyway, I did make a trip to SF two months ago and it wasnt for me. Since then I focused in on San Diego only to find out that the job market is in a bit of trouble in regard to specific industries. I have driven down several times since April and have become really concerned about my livelihood especially since I thought SD was going to be the "cure all" for my situation. I have learned that the pay is going to be lower as mentioned on other threads. But now I am thinking that maybe its not so much the economy but more the fact that SD is so overcrowded with bachelor degree holders that it pose a problem. Also, lets not forget the foreign kids that are on visas that are also coming to UCSD and SDSU for schooling. Well I am now sort of turning my attention to the Inland empire despite the recent economic problems with foreclosures and what not. I read somewhere online recently that the foreclosures in IE have nothing to do with the tremendous job growth that exists. Now im not saying all this stuff to just to make some sort of gloating expression. Im just wondering anyones two cents as to whether these claims are true and if I would indeed fare better since many college graduates arent exactly dying to get a career in a plice like chino?

My sole purpose in this is that I spent 5 years in resort work and have tried to make a career transition to graphic and commerical design only to come up short in this area in san diego. Im thinking maybe I should head back to Riverside for a year and see if the SD job market improves by next june and then move to San Diego?

your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 06:32 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,470,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaBarbaraBoy1 View Post
My sole purpose in this is that I spent 5 years in resort work and have tried to make a career transition to graphic and commerical design only to come up short in this area in san diego. Im thinking maybe I should head back to Riverside for a year and see if the SD job market improves by next june and then move to San Diego?
Graphic Design is in a race-to-the-bottom situation where college grads are fighting over $10/hr jobs. It's one of the most over-saturated white collar job categories out there. 20 years ago graphic arts was a high-skill, high demand occupation. Now anyone with a PC and basic skills on a couple of easy-to-learn programs can get into it.

San Diego's job market stability is not really relevant here - although places like NYC will have exponentially more options it is still a very hard field to get into without prior experience. Riverside, et al I would imagine is only worse.

My advice to you (as a graphic arts degree holder who has never worked a day in that field) is to diversify your skills as much as possible - get into web, learn about marketing and business, and have a rock-solid portfolio.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 06-02-2008 at 06:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego