Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 08:35 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,415,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Yea this one chick from my dorm was from lakeside. I never judged the place until I went that way with the wife later on in life. But when ever I would get into political arguements or cultural arguements with her and this dude from temecula they would always say, "oh well your black so [incert bizzarre theory here] ". As if black people some how all acted and thought the same and shared some sort of collective responsibility as an entity (while of course they felt whites did not)

Its just a different mentality down in san diego, I think a lot of it is pervasive because there just are not a lot of black folks down there. Some of the stuff people get away with down there, would not fly in say Greater LA or the bay or even fresno or sac. Not for a second.
Very true. San Diego seems to be the place to be for Latinos though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 08:55 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,170,546 times
well thats a pretty moot point. What good is that, when half the latinos in the community are just as vehemently racist as some of the whites. I remember reading an article a few years back about a 'hate crime' in sd, committed by a mexican against a black. The kid was like 17 and was part of a white power gang. He had literally convinced himself that he was white. It was just nuts.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
well thats a pretty moot point. What good is that, when half the latinos in the community are just as vehemently racist as some of the whites. I remember reading an article a few years back about a 'hate crime' in sd, committed by a mexican against a black. The kid was like 17 and was part of a white power gang. He had literally convinced himself that he was white. It was just nuts.
Damn! I didn't hear of that one. I will admit that I've probably had more racist encounters with Latinos here than with whites; perhaps because I wasn't expecting it?

Old 07-12-2010, 10:32 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,775,172 times
Mexican's and Blacks in SD are pretty tight, never heard of any kind of race related issues between the groups.

El Cajon, Lakeside and Santee is a completely different world from the rest of SD in terms culture and the typical CA lifestyle. It's like everyone from Texas, Alabama, Georgia, and Mid-Western Hillbilly's, all moved to East County because it probably feels like home to them. Lifted trucks, hot rods, country music and southern pride is heavily predominant in Lakeside, Alpine and Santee.

It's not as bad today though, like it was 15 years ago, but there is this sort of quiet racism, like your not welcome in this part of town, if you happen to look Hispanic, Black, or Middle Eastern.

But other than East County, the rest of SD is chill.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
El Cajon, Lakeside and Santee is a completely different world from the rest of SD in terms culture and the typical CA lifestyle. It's like everyone from Texas, Alabama, Georgia, and Mid-Western Hillbilly's, all moved to East County because it probably feels like home to them. Lifted trucks, hot rods, country music and southern pride is heavily predominant in Lakeside, Alpine and Santee.

It's not as bad today though, like it was 15 years ago, but there is this sort of quiet racism, like your not welcome in this part of town, if you happen to look Hispanic, Black, or Middle Eastern.
I 100% completely agree with this!

Old 07-13-2010, 07:53 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,183,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Mexican's and Blacks in SD are pretty tight, never heard of any kind of race related issues between the groups.

I do agree these towns are heavily country redneck type but still the racism isn't nearly as bad as it was 7-8 years ago.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:00 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,742,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post

ok this is SO incredibly ridiculous! I'm from El Cajon and then lived in Santee before we left the state and moved to Missouri, then Georgia and now Virginia..."Southern Pride" in Ca, yeah right....Santee is NOTHING like the south...absolutely NOTHING! rofl...hilarious!

Last edited by breeze823; 07-13-2010 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-13-2010, 08:20 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,283,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
ok this is SO incredibly ridiculous! I'm from El Cajon and then lived in Santee before we left the state and moved to Missouri, then Georgia and now Virginia..."Southern Pride" in Ca, yeah right....Santee is NOTHING like the south...absolutely NOTHING! rofl...hilarious!
San Diego = Southern CA, (formerly Northern Baja Mexico) but if you want to say that East County votes conservative, I would say yes. Wont find too many hippies or lots of people doing yoga in the park near the river. In relation to Leucadia....yeah I would say its a bit different.

When you hear names like:
Santee> Clantee
Lakeside/Oceanside> Double Wide

The demographics are changing rapidly in SD, check this thread out in ten years.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:24 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,742,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
San Diego = Southern CA, (formerly Northern Baja Mexico) but if you want to say that East County votes conservative, I would say yes. Wont find too many hippies or lots of people doing yoga in the park near the river. In relation to Leucadia....yeah I would say its a bit different.

When you hear names like:
Santee> Clantee
Lakeside/Oceanside> Double Wide

The demographics are changing rapidly in SD, check this thread out in ten years.
I will admit to Lakeside being known as trailer park territory but never EVER saw Santee as Clantee, which I know so many posters on here think of it as such....we are a white collar fam and the neighborhood we lived in was as well....El Cajon on the other hand is not the EC I grew up in.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
I do agree these towns are heavily country redneck type but still the racism isn't nearly as bad as it was 7-8 years ago.
and I will back you up on that, it really isn't. You couldn't have paid me to go out there back then. Now I have a girlfriend who lives in Rancho San Diego and we go into El Cajon a lot and occasionally Santee. I'm still wary of Santee though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego