Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 01:26 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,436,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doveeagle View Post
"San Diego is not good for art/design/media jobs and if you're black then forget it unless you want to work in Target, Walmart, Best Buy or a Fast Food joint as those are the main places that are willing to accept"

hi, i am moving to san diego very soon, and i wanted to know if many people find the above statement to be true, or if racism is a substantial problem in san diego? ive been there, but not long enough to get a feel for the city. thanks.
Cite the source

If it is an issue to you, why move there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 10:09 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,664,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
Thanks for the links, they're truly enlightening. Trump lovers down here tend to view California - indeed, all of the west coast - as ultra liberal & full of non English speakers (though there are plenty of non English speakers here in NC).
Almost as many Californians voted for Trump as North Carolinans did.

I get really tired of people from out of state thinking that all 40 million Californians are exactly the same person.

We aren't.

And I live right by the border - I literally can see Mexico from my back porch. Yet, I don't hear Spanish spoken all that often where I am and we're hardly overrun with illegal aliens (and we have one of the lowest crime rates in California).

In another thread you asked for recommendations of towns under 25,000 in the Inland Empire. You might want to look into Joshua Tree/29 Palms and the surrounding areas. The greater Joshua Tree area in general is becoming something of a weekend getaway for LA hipsters (including writers and screenwriters), but 29 Palms has plenty of conservatives too, thanks to the Marine Base there. Property is significantly less expensive than LA.

For really cheap "off the grid" property on the cheap, look into Wonder Valley, east of 29 Palms. Totally different world out that way than LA (and not for anyone scared of silence), although, again, there are plenty of writers and artists from LA who're starting to discover it. See: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/19/t...sultPosition=3

Or, if you're more into mountains and pine trees (and snow) than Joshua Trees and desert landscapes, look into Big Bear. More touristy and closer to LA, but housing prices are also less expensive there than in LA.

Last edited by RosieSD; 07-22-2019 at 10:25 PM..

Old 07-23-2019, 02:31 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,587,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
I literally can see Mexico from my back porch.
Didn't Sarah Palin copyright that line?

Old 07-26-2019, 09:38 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,253,412 times
If San Diego is supposedly segregated, could someone explain where the lines are drawn? I didn't grow up this way, and on the surface it doesn't seem segregated. But I have to stop thinking that it's still 2009, and stop pretending that there hasn't been a cultural upheaval since then.

Old 07-28-2019, 02:14 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,587,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
If San Diego is supposedly segregated, could someone explain where the lines are drawn? I didn't grow up this way, and on the surface it doesn't seem segregated. But I have to stop thinking that it's still 2009, and stop pretending that there hasn't been a cultural upheaval since then.
If by segregated you mean white vs black, there is no segregation in San Diego. The black population here is so small, I doubt you could find a black neighborhood in San Diego.

Several of my black out-of-town visiting friends wanted to see the 'black hoods.' I didn't know where to take them.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:51 AM

57 posts, read 47,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Almost as many Californians voted for Trump as North Carolinans did.

I get really tired of people from out of state thinking that all 40 million Californians are exactly the same person.

We aren't.

And I live right by the border - I literally can see Mexico from my back porch. Yet, I don't hear Spanish spoken all that often where I am and we're hardly overrun with illegal aliens (and we have one of the lowest crime rates in California).

In another thread you asked for recommendations of towns under 25,000 in the Inland Empire. You might want to look into Joshua Tree/29 Palms and the surrounding areas. The greater Joshua Tree area in general is becoming something of a weekend getaway for LA hipsters (including writers and screenwriters), but 29 Palms has plenty of conservatives too, thanks to the Marine Base there. Property is significantly less expensive than LA.

For really cheap "off the grid" property on the cheap, look into Wonder Valley, east of 29 Palms. Totally different world out that way than LA (and not for anyone scared of silence), although, again, there are plenty of writers and artists from LA who're starting to discover it. See: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/19/t...sultPosition=3

Or, if you're more into mountains and pine trees (and snow) than Joshua Trees and desert landscapes, look into Big Bear. More touristy and closer to LA, but housing prices are also less expensive there than in LA.
I'm noticing that about California - saw a post on social media about some Trump supporters in Poway yesterday. I don't care to live around a lot of conservatives, being a POC. I can take a few of them - heck, my fiance is one and we debate politics every time he says something pro Trump (even though he didn't vote). Thanks for the recommendations on places to live! We are definitely looking at Big Bear, and I emailed a realtor about a property in Wonder Valley. Seems like getaway cabins are always for sale out in the desert, and at low prices especially compared with LA.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:02 AM

29,528 posts, read 22,724,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
If by segregated you mean white vs black, there is no segregation in San Diego. The black population here is so small, I doubt you could find a black neighborhood in San Diego.

Several of my black out-of-town visiting friends wanted to see the 'black hoods.' I didn't know where to take them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAo4DCjEKm8

Skyline Piru

Old 07-28-2019, 12:03 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,664,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonHippy View Post
We are definitely looking at Big Bear, and I emailed a realtor about a property in Wonder Valley. Seems like getaway cabins are always for sale out in the desert, and at low prices especially compared with LA.
Some of those "weekend cabins" in Wonder Valley don't have running water or indoor toilets (or roofs!). Wonder Valley really is a unique place, and wouldn't be right for everyone -- you almost need to think of yourself as a homesteader to survive out there full time. If you're seriously considering it full time, be sure to read the back issues of the Wonder Valley community news site to get a sense of what it's like out there: Wonder Valley, CA

You might be happier in Joshua Tree, Yucca Valley or Morongo Valley if you need to be near civilization.

If you like the desert (assume you've already spent time in the summer in the desert) you might also check out Lancaster, Palmdale and Victorville. In San Diego County, Borrego Springs is a neat little desert town, with very reasonable home prices (but, again, it's ridiculously hot in the summer there, and water rights are becoming an issue).

For a mountain alternative to Big Bear proper, check out idyllwild.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego