Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 12:39 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,589,537 times

Advertisements

Orlick,

agreed.
It is also who you know who can refer you to that job.

If you're 40+ and your future co-working group is 25-30 and your mgr is 34 odds aren't so good even if you have equivalent qualifications as the other 25- 28 yr old applicants and 5 more yrs experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 04:13 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,585,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
Orlick,

agreed.
It is also who you know who can refer you to that job.

If you're 40+ and your future co-working group is 25-30 and your mgr is 34 odds aren't so good even if you have equivalent qualifications as the other 25- 28 yr old applicants and 5 more yrs experience.
My wife is Medicare age and works with lots of 20 and 30-somethings. She claims to not feel old when she works with her group.

However, she felt very old recently. They all met in Dallas for a client meeting. My wife hired a large car to transport her crew. Before she drove off, she reached in her briefcase and took out her Garmin GPS unit. Her peers all looked at her. One of them said "What is that?" They educated her that people use Iphones for navigation these days, not old obsolete bricks. Another member of her crew said "I bet you listen to CDs and watch DVDs too." She does.

One more year and my wife's 'golden handcuffs' will be removed and she can enter the world of retirement like me.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:21 AM

18 posts, read 13,750 times
I've had multiple successful job searches since turning 50 - not that I wanted to. But maybe Silicon Valley is different in that respect.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:13 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,589,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
My wife is Medicare age and works with lots of 20 and 30-somethings. She claims to not feel old when she works with her group.

However, she felt very old recently. They all met in Dallas for a client meeting. My wife hired a large car to transport her crew. Before she drove off, she reached in her briefcase and took out her Garmin GPS unit. Her peers all looked at her. One of them said "What is that?" They educated her that people use Iphones for navigation these days, not old obsolete bricks. Another member of her crew said "I bet you listen to CDs and watch DVDs too." She does.

One more year and my wife's 'golden handcuffs' will be removed and she can enter the world of retirement like me.
Yes it is changing very fast every 10 years or so. I told my teen kid, you don't know the city until you see a Thomas Guide. No shame at all. Although I don't play them, I won't get rid of my CD cases.

Let's embrace our age and teach the younger gen.

Old 07-16-2019, 03:14 PM

29,528 posts, read 22,718,437 times
Carlsbad can be sketchy.

Few years ago I was in a running shoe store and I was looking at shoes. The lady there ignored me while she happily greeted all the white customers that came in.

So I got in her face and she had the gall to sternly tell me that if I wanted something I should ask. I was livid but kept my cool, was helped by another nice clerk. I emailed corporate about what a turd she was and they apologized.

Stuff like that happens here and there.

Old 07-17-2019, 05:09 AM

I've been spending a lot of time in Santee lately for business reasons. Santee is a great place for light-industrial specialty businesses. If you love franchise retail businesses, you will really like Santee too.

But I saw a MAGA-hat-wearing family in classic red at the Santee Costco today. I had never seen a MAGA hat on anyone before today.

Old 07-17-2019, 07:21 AM

459 posts, read 700,276 times
MAGA hat =/= racist

Old 07-17-2019, 01:23 PM

50,423 posts, read 47,155,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
I've been spending a lot of time in Santee lately for business reasons. Santee is a great place for light-industrial specialty businesses. If you love franchise retail businesses, you will really like Santee too.

But I saw a MAGA-hat-wearing family in classic red at the Santee Costco today. I had never seen a MAGA hat on anyone before today.
Safe to wear one in East County but I wouldn't at the beach unless you want attacked physically.

Old 07-17-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Safe to wear one in East County but I wouldn't at the beach unless you want attacked physically.
Someone had a Trump sign in their yard near Jutland. It was torched overnite.

Old 07-17-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulok View Post
MAGA hat =/= racist
MAGA has become a racist symbol. Sort of like an NRA sign makes you a Republican. Or a rainbow flag makes you 'gay'. Symbols are more powerful than words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego