Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2013, 11:45 PM

30 posts, read 63,072 times

Advertisements

Know this discussion has strayed into other areas, but I couldn't help adding my 5 Reasons Why Not to Move to San Diego. I've tried to narrow it to problems not typically shared by other major US cities.
- The spiders. Seriously, they're everywhere.
- Hard to decide where to go on vacation, bc it's just that awesome living here.
- You forget what time of year it is.
- No hockey.
- Telling people living outside of here about your normal daily activities makes you sound like you're bragging. I mean there's only so many times you can post a photo of a beautiful sunset over the ocean on a warm January day before your friends stop speaking to you.

As for traffic, yeah it's a pain. But what major city doesn't have this same issue. I've lived all over the US and everyone complains about traffic. Period.

I struggled to come up with five, but then again I love living in America's finest city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 12:21 AM

91 posts, read 335,705 times
I don't understand all the people who are posting the **opposite set reasons** of what the OP is asking??? I mean come on San Diego has loads of issues & messed up things just like any other place in this world! Its almost as if many people refuse to find any fault with "America's Supposed Finest City" one doesn't have to look hard to find faults & blemishes in San Diego...everything isn't necessarily picture perfect in San Diego there are many woes just as in any other American city. BTW (America's *Finest City* Was Self Entitled) which you will find a lot of entitled people in this town....

*)-->5 Reasons NOT to Move here

1) Minimal if any industry & staggering unemployment!!

2) A drug hub since many of if it flows through this port of entry from Mexico
and the crime drugs brings about.

3) Throngs of conceited, vain, pretentious people.

4) Staggering Cost of living.

5) pollution, worst case of hard water I've ever seen & severe lack of greenery & trees.

Last edited by Capricorn_Resiliency; 06-10-2013 at 01:24 AM..

Old 06-10-2013, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
^. I feel I'm being stalked by confused thoughts.
don't flatter your self .....

Last edited by Capricorn_Resiliency; 06-10-2013 at 01:07 AM..

Old 06-10-2013, 02:06 AM

788 posts, read 1,878,408 times
Capricorn, you really need to calm down....

Some people like San Diego, some people don't. We get that you want to bash San Diego. You've posted it on the San Diego board and the Arizona boards.

You've left San Diego, so how about you move on with your life?

Old 06-10-2013, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhanifin View Post
Capricorn, you really need to calm down....

Some people like San Diego, some people don't. We get that you want to bash San Diego. You've posted it on the San Diego board and the Arizona boards.

You've left San Diego, so how about you move on with your life?
I really need to calm down?? Excuse me ?? Apparently the ones insinuating/alluding I am mental ill must have not caught your attention but some how my response to this thread got you riled up?? I am well with-in my rights to post MY VIEW'S & OPINIONS as long as they aren't DIRECT PERSONAL ATTACKS on any person...which I have received more then my share of today...there appears to be a fever pitch effort to silence any unfavorable post's on (San Diego) well I am sorry to break it to you...It's not a prefect town & having lived there for over 20 years I can speak on it! I can still comment on it even if I am half way across the universe! I am curious why you and so many others feel so threatened anyways?? Do you realize by attempting to suppress views that may not be favorable in your opinion might actually do a disservice? Last time I checked both Arizona & San Diego were U.S Territories where freedom of expression & differing views were embraced...it seems more so at least in Arizona

2ndly I am free to express my view & opinions about San Diego or any other City I want for that matter,whether I move to Pluto or Neptune makes no differnce... Don't tell me what I need to do with my life either...if anyone needs to calm down & back off it's you--> Your so up in my koolaid right now it's not even funny.

Last edited by Capricorn_Resiliency; 06-10-2013 at 03:08 AM..

Old 06-10-2013, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtaxi View Post
Probably repeating what others have said...

1) expensive little boxes for houses with little gardens with prices that could buy you the fanciest house in town in many parts of the country
2) difficult without a car and traffic can get busy.
3) if you like green and lush. This is a desert environment and while irrigation makes parts of it green the hills and valleys will have more brown than green for much of the year. We don't have much rain and our vegetation shows that.
4) job market is limited
5) if you like a vibrant downtown urban center you may be disappointed. San Diego is more neighbourhoods clumped together than a city like NYC.
6) if you like formal dress-up occasions. They are few and far between. Flip flops are accepted year round as appropriate dress in many places.
7) you like weather, the first snow-fall, vibrant fall leaves, big thunderstorms (we have very few of those by the coast but more inland).
8) you hate beige
9) driving down little country lanes through pretty villages with old churches etc. We do have places to visit but we are a bit isolated in that respect.
10) you have to fly a lot. We are a destination, not a hub.
11) you hate ants with a passion.
12) the idea of earthquakes scares you more than tornadoes, hurricanes or other natural disasters.

(yeah I know I can't count)

I loved your examples you & I think alike!

Old 06-10-2013, 05:41 AM

788 posts, read 1,878,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricorn_Resiliency View Post
I really need to calm down?? Excuse me ?? Apparently the ones insinuating/alluding I am mental ill must have not caught your attention but some how my response to this thread got you riled up?? I am well with-in my rights to post MY VIEW'S & OPINIONS as long as they aren't DIRECT PERSONAL ATTACKS on any person...which I have received more then my share of today...there appears to be a fever pitch effort to silence any unfavorable post's on (San Diego) well I am sorry to break it to you...It's not a prefect town & having lived there for over 20 years I can speak on it! I can still comment on it even if I am half way across the universe! I am curious why you and so many others feel so threatened anyways?? Do you realize by attempting to suppress views that may not be favorable in your opinion might actually do a disservice? Last time I checked both Arizona & San Diego were U.S Territories where freedom of expression & differing views were embraced...it seems more so at least in Arizona

2ndly I am free to express my view & opinions about San Diego or any other City I want for that matter,whether I move to Pluto or Neptune makes no differnce... Don't tell me what I need to do with my life either...if anyone needs to calm down & back off it's you--> Your so up in my koolaid right now it's not even funny.

Like you, I also left San Diego for many of the reasons that make the city a difficult place to live. There's good and bad...

The dramatics are not necessary in making a valid argument. Yes, you need to calm down.

On a side note:
Please do not say AZ/CA are "U.S. Territories", they are states. AZ≠ Puerto Rico CA≠ American Samoa

Last edited by sdhkshdcny09; 06-10-2013 at 05:53 AM..

Old 06-10-2013, 07:19 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,581,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhanifin View Post
Like you, I also left San Diego for many of the reasons that make the city a difficult place to live. There's good and bad...

The dramatics are not necessary in making a valid argument. Yes, you need to calm down.

On a side note:
Please do not say AZ/CA are "U.S. Territories", they are states. AZ≠ Puerto Rico CA≠ American Samoa
i thought you were living in shadowridge?

Old 06-10-2013, 07:58 AM

130 posts, read 387,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Only 5? I can come up with 10 reasons not to move to San Diego:

4. Too many rude, snotty, pretentious, materialistic people
5. People stuck on the small town mentality which makes everything slower, not accepting the reality that there are 3 million people in S.D. County, which causes frustrating delays
These are the two primary reasons why I left San Diego and never looked back!!!

Old 06-10-2013, 08:02 AM

130 posts, read 387,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMark View Post
Rude people? Actually, San Diego is usually rated as one of the most polite cities in the U.S. I find people there to be much nicer than people in other cities.

As others have said, if you're unhappy with yourself, you're going to be unhappy no matter where you live.
Yes, they are friendly & polite, but the bigger question is...are they sincere about it?

Why does one have to be "unhappy" just because they express their truth and it may not always be sunshine, bunnies, and rainbows?!?!?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego