Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2012, 07:00 PM

490 posts, read 1,560,319 times

Advertisements

XLNC1 is supported by donations in the SD area, not many classical radio stations are completely non-commercial . Also, if you google classical radio, this is one of the most popular now in the U.S. Many people I know stream KPBS classical on their ipad/ 'puter. And, our symphony has the largest endowment of any orchestra in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 08:02 PM

135 posts, read 297,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewzikguy View Post
XLNC1 is supported by donations in the SD area, not many classical radio stations are completely non-commercial . Also, if you google classical radio, this is one of the most popular now in the U.S. Many people I know stream KPBS classical on their ipad/ 'puter. And, our symphony has the largest endowment of any orchestra in the country.
Which one, XLNC? The most popular in the nation? Really? Yes, I do recall Chula Vista having the studio, so technically, even tho the broadcast came from Mexico, it could qualify as a SD station. But I didn't like the sound quality. I listened to it because I could not get 91.5 KUSC. I recall driving down the 5 from LA/OC and then the music stopped and I had to change the station. I suppose Escondido or places like that may get the reception.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:34 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,986,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamestheFin View Post
Meh...

I'm not impressed by any of the arguments ripping San Diego. Any city in the world is going to have its good and bad points. Whether a person has a good experience in those places is largely dependent upon them.

Anecdotally, I've noticed that the people who complain the most about whichever place they live in are typically going to complain anyway. It often reveals a quality of unhappiness in them and their character. FWIW, I've lived in Los Angeles, Washington DC, New York, Denver, London, Bangkok, Edinburgh, and Singapore and while I enjoyed each place I still prefer San Diego over them all because there's a quality of freedom and life in SD that just isn't present in those other cities.
Exactly. Oh, so you complain because you can't find men who want to take you to plays and symphonies? Well, that's because you're looking in the wrong demographic. Try ashleymadison.com or sugardaddy.com, because those types of things skew way old.

Or it's too shallow? What's that supposed to mean? That people won't spit out the same damn talking point whatever political party they are affiliated with or what some lying sack of crap on talk radio told them? That's what passes for an "intellectual" conversation in some places. Spare me. My cats have deeper thoughts.

Bottom line is that this is a great city for people who have the right mindset and who aren't saying, you know, when I was in New York I got to do this, that, and the other. Well, guess what? New York is about 2500 miles to the northeast, so if that's what you're looking for, why do you expect it on the other side of the country? Oh, you couldn't hack it there and now you're pissed that you are somewhere else? Says a lot about you, doesn't it?

If you accept the city for what it is and enjoy it, you'll be fine. If you're always looking for the negative, you ain't gonna be happy nowhere, and I feel sorry for you.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfosyd View Post
Congratulations JosephineBeth!

I agree with most of what you are saying. I'm spending the summer working on a project in midtown Manhattan and ended up in Jackson Heights, Queens. I am a 15 minute subway ride from my office on an express train and so far I am loving it here. The subway is so much better than the SD freeways and the daily road rage. I have a beautiful older apartment on a nice tree lined block away from the chaos of Roosevelt Ave and there seems to be true sense of community here. I say hi to my neighbors and the super as well as other folks on my block. This never happened in SD for some reason. My apt is $1000 a month and I have seen some coops in the mid 100s price range here. And they are nice! The diversity here is truly incredible. I could see how some folks would think it was dirty but there is always something to do and the transit runs 24 hours. The weather is super hot and humid but the salaries (in IT) are literally triple what they are in SD with many more jobs. And the male female ratio is MUCH better for guys.

SD is cool for what it is, but if I can stay here I will.

Hmm... while I can't argue the positives or negatives of San Diego as I haven't lived there yet(moving in August), I laugh at your idea of NYC as I have lived here for 5 years and if you're planning on staying I feel compelled to share why. I currently live in Brooklyn but have lived in the Bronx and Manhattan and spent plenty of time in Queens, which is coincidentally my least favorite borough(will explain why shortly). You actually live in one of the only two good places in it(the other being Long Island City). The reason your rent is only $1k is b/c you're in Queens, in any other borough take out those trees and increase the price by $200 to start. Also, the coops you mentioned for mid $150's are around 600 sq feet. You want a 600 sq ft coop in a DECENT not nice neighborhood in Brooklyn, add 100k to that price tag, you want that in Manhattan add $300k...and I assure you that is not an exaggeration.

What you are experiencing is more than likely the honeymoon phase of coming to New York. It seems glamorous and amazing and much less crowded/obnoxious/expensive/devoid of nature than everyone says it is. That feeling lasts for around the first two years. Then you realize that while the trains do run 24/7 not all lines do and even during rush hour it is ridiculously unreliable (but sadly still one of the best mass transit systems in the country) and insanely expensive(Cost of fares have increased 4 times in the 5 years I've lived here and service has DECREASED as they cut 4 trains and over 50 bus lines). You mentioned San Diego road rage and I HAVE to laugh at that compared to NYC. I have driven in many Metro areas of the country and NYC has some of the WORST I've ever encountered, and if you think it's only road rage you're sadly mistaken. People here have mass transit rage, because it is so crowded and service sucks. You get pushed, shoved, cut off while walking, yelled at, etc. If you haven't experienced this yet don't worry it's coming. Back to the cars, let's not even talk about the traffic. I have spent 2 HOURS going less than TEN MILES, not during rush hour!!
Now last but not least, why I hate Queens more than any other borough except S.I.: The roads are a nightmare(because of potholes, bumps, lack of maintenance and street signs you can't even read)in every part of the borough, and unless you live right nextthe train you NEED a car/motorcycle to get around because Queens has the least amount of train service excluding S.I. Even if you live near the train the most prominent lines, the 7 and E,nare always under construction/have schedule interruptions.

The ONE thing I do agree with you on is salary. If you're looking to make money, this is the place to do it for sure. The problem is that it doesn't afford you anything because cost of living is so high you don't know you're making three times as much as you did somewhere else.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:53 PM

686 posts, read 1,144,325 times
I agree with everything you say and you paint an accurate picture of NYC. If you have a car, it is shockingly easy to have a $200 a month EZpass bill as well. But NYC is a world class city that demands world class prices. You are in for a rude awakening: San Diego, with salaries factored in, is much more expensive than New York.

You want a 600 sq foot condo in San Diego inland? 150k

You want a 600 sq foot condo by the beach in a decent not nice neighborhood add 100k to that. You want a 600 sq foot condo west of the 5 in Del Mar, Solana Beach or La Jolla add 300k. The state income taxes in California are higher than the combined New York State AND city taxes and you get nothing for it. You absolutely need a car which means you have to pay for gas, insurance and the car itself which makes that $105 metro card seem like a bargin.

Of course, the job that pays 100k in NYC will pay 50k in San Diego and will have 100 other people applying for it.

San Diego is a nice place to live though, just know what you are getting into. If you are moving to escape the cost of living, it is not the place.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:27 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,604,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfosyd View Post

Of course, the job that pays 100k in NYC will pay 50k in San Diego and will have 100 other people applying for it.
How many people are applying for the job in NYC that pay's $100K?

Old 04-30-2012, 02:26 PM

50,681 posts, read 47,542,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
Exactly. Oh, so you complain because you can't find men who want to take you to plays and symphonies? Well, that's because you're looking in the wrong demographic. Try ashleymadison.com or sugardaddy.com, because those types of things skew way old.

Or it's too shallow? What's that supposed to mean? That people won't spit out the same damn talking point whatever political party they are affiliated with or what some lying sack of crap on talk radio told them? That's what passes for an "intellectual" conversation in some places. Spare me. My cats have deeper thoughts.

Bottom line is that this is a great city for people who have the right mindset and who aren't saying, you know, when I was in New York I got to do this, that, and the other. Well, guess what? New York is about 2500 miles to the northeast, so if that's what you're looking for, why do you expect it on the other side of the country? Oh, you couldn't hack it there and now you're pissed that you are somewhere else? Says a lot about you, doesn't it?

If you accept the city for what it is and enjoy it, you'll be fine. If you're always looking for the negative, you ain't gonna be happy nowhere, and I feel sorry for you.
I've always got a good laugh out of people that won't strike a conversation with you unless you too have a stick up your bum. I got the biggest kick out of how some of the soccer moms and dads at school would go out of their way to talk to me when I pulled up in my beemer but would look at me in horror when I picked a day to pick up my kids after hunting all day with my lifted truck. It's a good way to weed out the self labeled "intellectuals" which in almost every case is just a shallow donkey. The "donkey" is usually someone who moves here and has only watched Baywatch before the move. This type of shallow personality is only doing everyone a favor by flocking together and avoiding the rest of the community. It's best they keep their poisonous personality to their inner circle.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:37 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,313,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I've always got a good laugh out of people that won't strike a conversation with you unless you too have a stick up your bum. I got the biggest kick out of how some of the soccer moms and dads at school would go out of their way to talk to me when I pulled up in my beemer but would look at me in horror when I picked a day to pick up my kids after hunting all day with my lifted truck. It's a good way to weed out the self labeled "intellectuals" which in almost every case is just a shallow donkey. The "donkey" is usually someone who moves here and has only watched Baywatch before the move. This type of shallow personality is only doing everyone a favor by flocking together and avoiding the rest of the community. It's best they keep their poisonous personality to their inner circle.
Well put 1ATP and tonyinsd, couldnt agree anymore.

Some of the faces I have seen in certain fundraising social circles, when I tell people, the wife and I tossed our gear in the truck and went tent camping for the weekend.
Responses like "in a tent?" with bewildered facial expression were quite amusing.
Apparently we arent supposed to have fun like that or share the experience

Old 04-30-2012, 03:00 PM

50,681 posts, read 47,542,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Well put 1ATP and tonyinsd, couldnt agree anymore.

Some of the faces I have seen in certain fundraising social circles, when I tell people, the wife and I tossed our gear in the truck and went tent camping for the weekend.
Responses like "in a tent?" with bewildered facial expression were quite amusing.
Apparently we arent supposed to have fun like that or share the experience
Savages LOL When my kids blurt out we hunt you'd have thought I pulled a gun on them.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:53 PM

135 posts, read 297,411 times
The mere fact that TonyinSD as well as, now as of late, others one this board think that enjoying the arts and classical music means that one is interested in a sugar daddy or is about money elitism, just speaks to the mindset of many san diegans - that many lack culture and an interest in the arts.

Altho yes, in SD it is true that many of them were older people, so perhaps having to look for a sugar daddy - Tony's sage advice - would serve in SD, as most of those who appreciate the arts were much older people. The younger folks did not appreciate these things.

I have no idea why a lack of appreciation of the arts has now gotten spun into "fancy cars" and "stick up the ass." There is a difference between flash and class. Generally I think SD is about the former. There are plenty of fancy cars to be seen on the road in SD, but not much content to go with it. Culture does not refer to designer labels nor a fancy price-tag. Charger and Padres games do not cost that much more than tickets to a ballet or symphony, especially when you factor in the overpriced alcohol consumption.

And in case it isn't painfully obvious, listening to classical music on the radio is FREE, which had been the topic of conversation on this thread. As are the free concerts and art walks which we had discussed earlier in this thread. So all this talk about money snobbery is quite illogical.

Last edited by gingerdancer; 04-30-2012 at 05:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego