Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 11:34 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,583,445 times

Advertisements

There are more giants fans than symphony fans in NY; trust me on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 01:26 AM

135 posts, read 297,290 times
i never said that in other cities more ppl preferred going to the symphony than watching sports. I said that if you are artistic yourself, are a musician, or appreciate the arts and want to meet others who do too, this will be more difficult in SD than in many other cities, as the arts is not a large or strongly emphasized part of the culture. We keep talking about the symphony, but again the arts includes more than just that. the fact that the symphony almost closed and there is not really a strong classical radio station were merely some examples. but the arts expands to dancing, music, art, etc. Some posters on this thread had input on the symphony so there was a segue there.

it would be like saying, "if you are liberal and want to meet a lot of like minded ppl, this might be more difficult in SD as it tends to be more conservative." I'd say this is a fair statement as a whole. There is nothing wrong with being liberal nor conservative, it is about what there culture is and where one would fit best.

I found it quite common in LA for ppl to be interested in the arts. I met few who were interested in sports, but whether they were or not was not the issue. They were interested in the arts in addition to whatever else they were interested in. I feel like SF has much culture and it there too is not uncommon to enjoy it.

Around the country, many men like sports. Many women like shopping. However, many of them enjoy other activities as well.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:08 AM

18,985 posts, read 32,833,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerdancer View Post
I think places like SF and even LA, the arts area bigger part of the culture amongst younger people of that demographic..
Haha, not in my experience. It's a bigger part of the SF bay Area primarily as the SF Bay is bigger than SD, as is LA of course. Not to say there aren't a lot of "intellectual" people here, it's very educated so there are. But there is a TON, way more than SD, of psuedo-intellectualism as well. It's actually fairly nauseating sometimes. Don't get me wrong, the Bay Area is a very culturally rich place and has a reputation for a reason, but once you get past the surface it's not as "intellectual and cultural" as it's made out to be. Just as SD isn't all "beachy" and devoid of culture as some say. IMO of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Can say the EXACT same thing about San Francisco, especially with all their bandwagon fans of late. Of course you can find that circle of people that are into that stuff but MOST people are talking about the Giants, Niners, Raiders, A's, Warriors, and Sharks.

In the mid 20's to late 30's age range, I've found in my experience our local sports teams (which is 6 pro sports teams compared to 2 for SD), street/food festivals in SF/Oakland, Wine country, and Tahoe are a big part of the social scene here. These "Art and Wine" festivals here, are really nothing more than a pretentious version of PB Block Party imo. And while SD has that "party vibe", don't underestimate the illegal drug culture here, even for people fairly older. And these are all educated people I'm talking about, not working class.

The Bay Area is bigger, you can find large swaths of the Bay Area like Oakland and Berkeley completely devoid of a GOOD sports bar, even SF is fairly lacking. But go out to the suburbs, where the majority of the Bay lives and it ain't that different imo. So yes this coveted "intellectual vibe/scene" may be more concentrated than SD but honestly, I think if you're truly " intellectual" and into culture as much as one says then you can find it there. Some people in SD don't seem to even put in the effort to find it. I remember one poster on here that would occasionally complain about the lack of culture then when someone posted a thread about the SD Film Festival she stated how much she loved film festivals and never knew SD had one. Apparently a two second google search is too much effort. The cultural amenities in SD don't come up and slap you in the face like they might in other cities like SF or like the beach culture does in SD, but it is there.

One difference worth noting imo is people are less likely to wear their intellectualism and political views on their sleeves in SD than the Bay Area imo. You may have an "easier" time finding what you want in a LARGER metropolitan area, but that doesn't mean you can't find it in SD.

Last edited by sav858; 05-01-2012 at 02:17 AM..

Old 05-01-2012, 10:44 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,311,082 times
Quote:
Thanks for engaging in rational dialogue. Yes, I am aware that there is a lack of funding for the arts, thank you for pointing out the article tho, I will check it out. In fact, I am not certain, but I have heard from many that grew up in SD that the SD symphony almost went under until some person had to give it like 30 million dollars to stay afloat. I was not living there then. Also, as I mentioend in previous posts, SD does not really have a classical radio station other than XLNC, which is a bit tinny, and broadcast from Mexico.

in terms of the college in SD, I know that both SDSU and UCSD have music programs, I think USD do too, as do the community colleges.

"I dont think there are people that really seek the arts as a top 5 'thing to do' in SD." I completely agree with you. Hence listing a lack of interest in the arts as one of my "5 reasons not to move" (the title of this thread) if you are artistic or interested in the arts yourself. I went on to also list 5 "pros" about living in SD just to balance it out - even tho it was not asked for by the OP, but for some reason that one point about a lack of interest in the arts set some - namely one person - off on this thread to attack me, telling me no men anywhere like the arts and i should find some sugar daddy. Compete nonsense.

From my experience, the culture among late 20's-40 somethings in SD was more centered around the beach, surfing, and the Padres, Chargers, and to some degree, the military. There are obviously exceptions. Perhaps other people had a different experience or observation, but it doesn't make mine wrong. I think places like SF and even LA, the arts area bigger part of the culture amongst younger people of that demographic.

In terms of the money issue, I dislike materialism, so you are preaching to the choir there. If anyone judges you for not driving a BMW, clearly this is a character flaw on their part. I think most people who have a PBS supporter bumper stickers on their car typically drive Corollas, Civics, and more humble - if not downright old - cars. At least from what I have noticed.

The hunting aversion is an animal rights issue and really has nothing at all to do with topic of liking the arts.

You have made some pretty accurate observations, especially the KPBS plate frames

I find humor in irony and as far as the dialogue that tonyinsd and 1ATP were mentioning, I find that pretty funny, because its making fun of such broad generalizations, kind of like this whole thread.

On a side note, there is another classical station besides the little XLNC1. But you would need an HD radio to get it as its on a sub channel of KPBS 89.5. KPBS also has a 3rd and that plays groovesalad.com, one of my favorite internet radio stations.

The arts audience is here just not as pronounced as the myriad of other activities there are to do here. That in of itself could certainly make it difficult to like a place when you feel like you are in the minority for finding dates I suppose.

Generally speaking if classical music or concerts are a deal breaker when trying to date or find a reason not to live somewhere, I can think of only a handful of places that would fit that mode of thinking and interest. San Diego is certainly not one of them, as you have come to discover.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:52 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,985,530 times
Quote:
i never said that in other cities more ppl preferred going to the symphony than watching sports. I said that if you are artistic yourself, are a musician, or appreciate the arts and want to meet others who do too, this will be more difficult in SD than in many other cities, as the arts is not a large or strongly emphasized part of the culture. We keep talking about the symphony, but again the arts includes more than just that.
You're the one who brought up going to rehearsals at the symphony or plays. Don't get upset when responds to your own words.

The arts is not strongly emphasized as part of the culture anywhere. It's just not. Now you can say, oh, but among the people I was with in this, that, or the other city, it was huge. Great. But that's not typical of ANY city.

How many New Yorkers actually go to the Met every year? It's right there for them to go to, but you'll mostly find tourists there.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:19 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,784,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Thank you! I'm heading to NYC on Thursday and it's obvious that the 50% of the crowd attending shows on Broadway and in the museums are tourists like me. I'm going to a Mets game and fully expect to be surrounded by real NYers. I did the Yankees/Red Sox game last year, which was awesome! Now I know why us Padres fans get teased....LOL

Old 05-01-2012, 12:35 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,311,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
You're the one who brought up going to rehearsals at the symphony or plays. Don't get upset when responds to your own words.

The arts is not strongly emphasized as part of the culture anywhere. It's just not. Now you can say, oh, but among the people I was with in this, that, or the other city, it was huge. Great. But that's not typical of ANY city.

How many New Yorkers actually go to the Met every year? It's right there for them to go to, but you'll mostly find tourists there.
Plenty. My uncle did every week. But to echo the post from before....he was 70+ years young

New Yorkers or affluent Mahattanites, will more likely be caught at fundraising events FOR the actual halls/symphonies more so than the actual shows lol

Old 05-01-2012, 05:09 PM

135 posts, read 297,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post

It was an EXAMPLE only brought up because you, Tony, told me that in LA there are no more arts fans than in SD. I used an EXAMPLE that in LA it was not uncommon to go to listen to the LA Phil rehearse, go see a play, listen to jazz in the park at LACMA, go to the Getty, etc. (there are more, but I only list these) You also meet lot of musicians there.

I'm not sure how you can possibly say that a city with a culture embracing the sports teams, surfing and the military could possibly have the same amount of arts enthusiasts as on where the culture of the city revolves around entertainment and the arts. Ppl go to LA trying to become famous in dance, theater, music, etc. Hence it rubs of on the community.

I'm not sure where you lived in LA (perhaps the south bay is not like this) but I don't think I EVER met one person who had no interest in doing SOMETHING arts related. About 1/2 of them were already in "the biz." Conversely, in SD, other than my BF's or someone I specifically met in a dance class, I RARELY met people who enjoyed the arts.

NY may be big in sports but it is also HUGE in the arts - I get facebook updates from friends living there having gone to the latest musical. It is probably the richest in the arts of any city. Obviously it has it's problems too, but I mention it because Tony seems to think that every city has the exact same amount of people who are interested in the arts in their late 20'-40's, and that this number is extremely low. If I visited SD for one day I would say that perhaps I do not know what I am talking about but I was there for years. I think my assessment is rather accurate. Also my BF's who lived there complained about the same thing. Tony, you do not strike me as someone who is overly interested in the arts yourself, so I am not sure how you would even know as you don't go looking for it or for those types of people.

What is bizarre to me is that posters received less aversion and criticism for complaining that SD has "too many Mexican's" (which is clearly an offensive statement) than I did for listing that 'if you are artistic or into the arts, and want to meet like minded people in their 20's-40's who appreciate them' under SD cons. Not only is that statement NOT offensive, but the Mexican dig clearly is, yet no one seems to care about that.

It is absolutely NOT uncommon to meet people who are into the arts. Just last weekend I met a group of people out at and upscale bar and we had an after party - both guys played guitar and this girl and i sang. She also was a singer. There are a plethora of musicians in their late 20's and 30's. It is rather common, actually for men to play guitar. For you to say that the late 20's-40's are devoid of culture or any artistic talents or interests or that it is so rare for them to be, is simply not true. They don't wake up one day at age 67 and say "I want to learn guitar today." well, some might, but not most of them. But then again, you are in SD, and it was less common there, from what I found. Evidently according to you, it is also the same in DC, so good to know.

If you are not interested in the arts, or are not a musician, then this "Con" would not apply to you, because I clearly precluded it with "if you are artistic or appreciate the arts."

You would have thought that I would have received more criticism for writing "too much military culture," which I did not out of possible concern that it might offend a few people and I did not want to be offensive. Little did I know, listing 'wanting to meet like-minded people who enjoy the arts' in the arts would have caused and even bigger stir!

Old 05-01-2012, 05:41 PM

6,421 posts, read 11,644,604 times
You two - get a room!

Old 05-01-2012, 06:02 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,985,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
You two - get a room!
No thanks. It'd be more like prison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego