Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2013, 09:29 AM

9,821 posts, read 11,540,655 times

Advertisements

I'm in need of a new roof pretty soon.I've gotten quotes from Home Depot,Lowes,Pacific Homeworks,but their quotes have all been really really high!
The average ive been qouted is 18k for a 1800 sq ft house(I know that's high)
Any Recommendations on a good Roofing Companies in San Diego?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 09:49 AM

1,447 posts, read 2,744,457 times
The Home Depot quote we got years ago was almost twice what the others gave. I put together a spreadsheet and in the end Excalibur Roofing was the best.

I can dig up the details when I get home, but roof-wise, our house is almost as big as 1800 sq ft. All work was completed in less than a week.

We have Spanish-style tile shingles.

Of all the contractors we have ever had work on our house, the roofing people were the best. They were one of the lower bidders but maybe not the lowest. The lowest bidders I had little confidence in after meeting them or getting the run around. If Excalibur is still around you should give them a call to give a quote, but by no means stop with them.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:01 AM

50,250 posts, read 47,011,154 times
What kind of roof ya need dude? Re-shingle or new slanted roof to code? I got hookups.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:13 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,990 times
I've had GREAT success with AngiesList.com vendors. I've had a lot of stuff around my house renovated and so far all of the vendors did a great job and they all offered discounted rates. So even if you aren't an AngiesList member contact them and maybe see if you can get a discount. You can say, "you heard about them via AngiesList".

What I'd do is get at least 3 estimates and they would bid against one another. Sometimes I wouldn't go with the lowest offer if I had a good feeling when meeting them. Or a few times, a few of them were SUPER responsive so even if their prices were a bit more..... I went with them as that was an indication what kind of job they would do and finish by their stated finish date.

All of these are A rated roofers that have done work in the area. You can google for their phone numbers.

- Sequoia Roofing
- Above it All Roofing, Inc. (Former winner of Super Service Award Winner on AL)
- RC Roofing, Inc. (Former winner of Super Service Award Winner on AL)
- Secure Home Improvements, Inc. (Former winner of Super Service Award Winner on AL)
- Professional Roofing Services.com (Former winner of Super Service Award Winner on AL)

These seemed to be the best of the bunch with many reviews. Hope it helps. Good luck.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:21 PM

29 posts, read 45,262 times
We had some friends use JP Witherow roofing company and they had great things to say about them.
619-297-4701.

Good luck!

Old 06-06-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
What kind of roof ya need dude? Re-shingle or new slanted roof to code? I got hookups.
I need a complete tear off,as i got 2 layers of shingles.I also need OSB Board And new 30 year shingles(preferred).
Twenty squares plus a flat roof is what i was quoted by everybody.
I don't want the cheapest guy,but what i want is good quality work with out breaking the bank.
I've already priced out the materials at $2875 and maybe 8k to 10k for labor.
I'm thinking anywhere from 10k to 13k
I'm on vacation next week so ill start calling some of the people you guys Recommended.
Thanks Guys/Girls

Old 06-06-2013, 03:29 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,990 times
Yeah, it sounds like you are very hands on. I'm the same way. I've done so many renovation projects in my life that I will do much of the legwork going out and pricing the materials myself. Or even purchasing the materials myself and just having the contractor picking them up. (that way they can't mark up the materials).

As well, when they are bidding on it, ask them to break out the quote as much as possible. That way you can see where the various bids are differing.

The great thing is most contractors here will all give free no obligation estimates so you can have them fight for the work. I doubt you will have any problems at all with any of those Super Award Winners I listed. I've done several projects in my house and all were great.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:56 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,572,215 times
Raneri & Long Roofing installed our new roof. They did a great job.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
I've had GREAT success with AngiesList.com vendors. I've had a lot of stuff around my house renovated and so far all of the vendors did a great job and they all offered discounted rates. So even if you aren't an AngiesList member contact them and maybe see if you can get a discount. You can say, "you heard about them via AngiesList".

What I'd do is get at least 3 estimates and they would bid against one another. Sometimes I wouldn't go with the lowest offer if I had a good feeling when meeting them. Or a few times, a few of them were SUPER responsive so even if their prices were a bit more..... I went with them as that was an indication what kind of job they would do and finish by their stated finish date.

All of these are A rated roofers that have done work in the area. You can google for their phone numbers.

- Sequoia Roofing
- Above it All Roofing, Inc. (Former winner of Super Service Award Winner on AL)
- RC Roofing, Inc. (Former winner of Super Service Award Winner on AL)
- Secure Home Improvements, Inc. (Former winner of Super Service Award Winner on AL)
- Professional Roofing Services.com (Former winner of Super Service Award Winner on AL)

These seemed to be the best of the bunch with many reviews. Hope it helps. Good luck.
As usual good advice Early
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: