Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2011, 08:25 PM

8 posts, read 9,640 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping to get some good referrals on the above as I will be moving from the Philadelphia area to San Diego in a few weeks. Any help or advice is appreciated.

For the dogs - a company who will pick them up at my house and take care of the whole process for the flight.

As far as the moving co - not moving a lot of items would like to find a good co where I will pay for my items on portion of the truck.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 09:58 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,344,714 times
The pets portion of this forum has some good pet moving resources-I do recall seeing pet moving companies. I have 3 cats...and they are not spring chickens so I did not consider driving them in the car from cleveland when I moved -major moving co did the furniture...which by the way moving companies almost always put your stuff in with other peoples-and may take it off an reload as they travel x country. ..which is probably how they lost some very special art...I would check with better business bureau and get 3 estimates. They all go by weight. Anyway back to the pets.

Whether professionals do the job or decide to oversee the operation yourself it is not easy to fly pets in cargo. While the cargo hold is climate controlled and pressurized, there is the issue with temps on the tarmack from starting point, layover and destination. It cannot be too hot (85 or above, less for snub nosed breeds or cats or dogs) or too cold (45 or below) when they pull up the weather reports at check in. SD temps are never the issue but this time of the year Philly and much of the rest of the country (layovers) can be too hot.

In the end I flew with my cats on a visit to see my spouse who moved out before me. one went under the seat, the other 2 below in cargo-I made reservations for all of them. Yes I looked insane wheeling in 3 giant cats in separate carriers to check in. People asked "do you always travel with your cats?" (LOL!).

I researched all the airlines, and American had the most cost effective policies.Most airlines have shipping services too...but I kind of liked traveling with them in case something went wrong.

Traveling With Pets | American Airlines Pet Policy On AA.com

edit-it appear since I took my cats, NO snub noses in cargo-they used to have different temp restrictions. I have a persian, but he rode in the cabin

Old 08-15-2011, 08:54 AM

15 posts, read 40,124 times
I've heard only good things about Pet Transportation, Travel, Shipping and Relocation by Pet Airways but they serve only a small number of cities.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:30 AM

20,839 posts, read 17,154,494 times
Pet movers will transport via road and they feel it is a better way than by air. here is a link.

We Move Pets - Pet Shipping Services

Old 08-15-2011, 09:31 AM

Thank you both for responding! I will share my experience with the companies I chose once I am settled in San Diego.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:07 PM

455 posts, read 1,120,057 times
I used PetAir to transport 3 cats and two old dogs from the east to west coast. They have limited locations so I had to drive from Durham to Baltimore to drop them off and pick them up near LAX.

Both my boxers developed a mild cough, but I attribute those to old age and stress to travel/new location. One of my cats smelled of urine on his fur (probably from urinating during transport with limited absorption pads/drainage) but he was healthy and was wiped clean before pickup.

I recommend this airline, because my pets were cared for, healthy and alive after their trip, something that can't be said for commercial airlines.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:25 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,344,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmboyinNC View Post
I recommend this airline, because my pets were cared for, healthy and alive after their trip, something that can't be said for commercial airlines.
while it is true that there were horror stories in the past-and actually statistically they were not as bad as media made them out to be- the airlines have gotten so strict about temperature and layover times the risk is much lower. All my cats are deemed elderly and I would not dream of making them ride in a car or van cross country (some of the companies don't fly-it can take a week to get you pet . no way would I do that to my pets). Riding on the same plane as I did-the move was over in 9 hours door to door. In Chicago I had one cat with me in terminal for the layover and looked out the window (ok pressed face nervously) watching the other 2 get loaded on. They were meowing but OK

Old 08-23-2011, 08:35 AM

wow got a quote for two dogs for Air Animals VIP service for $3k and Express Service for $2400 - need to do better than that...

Old 08-23-2011, 09:34 AM

20,839 posts, read 17,154,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJL674 View Post
wow got a quote for two dogs for Air Animals VIP service for $3k and Express Service for $2400 - need to do better than that...
We Move Pets quote was 1K from San Diego to Michigan for one large dog.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:14 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,835,272 times
We used Continental and cost us $600 for our 70lb dog's trip from California to Hawaii, that included the purchase of the large crate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego