Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2007, 09:14 PM

11 posts, read 49,186 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating to SD December 1st due to job transfer. We were in RB, Poway, PQ and Scripps Ranch looking for a house to rent ($2200 - $2600 range) the week before the fires started. We found some good options but most of the rentals were "available now" and the owners / property managers were eager to fill them right away. So, we thought that we would come back in a few weeks when we were closer to our move date. However, now I am concerned that with all the displaced families that we might have a hard time finding a reasonable rental at all now.

What are your thoughts on on this? What happens with displaced families ie do they stay in hotels? Stay with friends/family? Look for furnished rentals? Look for unfurnished rentals? Do they sign year leases on unfurnished homes while they rebuild their homes? Do rental prices sky rocket supply/demand? Do they try to rent in the same community or does that matter? Should we look in different areas (ie closer to downtown) where there might be more availability?

On a side note, I want to say that my heart truly goes out to all those affected by the fires. I have been in tears watching the stories on the news... However, I must say that I feel comfort in moving to SD after seeing how the community responded to those in need. What a caring community!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 10:26 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,470,032 times
too early to tell. Give it a couple of months to see how things play out.

Old 10-27-2007, 01:20 PM

4,538 posts, read 12,399,512 times
In my opinion rental rates will rise in the areas immediately surrounding the burned out zones. Really, given the Law of Supply and Demand they'll have to. In particular, families with children will try to stay close to their children's existing schools. Unfortunately for you, the burned out zones seem to mainly be the areas you were looking in. Areas further afield probably won't see too much rental pressure, as there is probably a lot of inventory out there of homes bought by flippers that need to be rented out. Also, there will probably be a lot of condo conversions that will be going begging. To take advantage of those situations your idea of living closer to downtown is a good one.

Old 10-27-2007, 02:09 PM

102 posts, read 236,530 times
The rental market was already competitive enough when the whole mortgage bust came down. It was no surprise that the rental prices went up considerably from just 6 months ago and it got even more competitive to find a nice place. Now with this, honestly I don't know how you could find one. You definitely can't be to choosy right now and you'll probably have to end up paying whatever it is they're asking.

Old 10-27-2007, 04:32 PM

138 posts, read 544,686 times
We are also looking for a rental. Yesterday when we called some places, they said they were having A LOT of people looking at them. It scares me because I am far away from work and I was really looking forward to renting closer.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:01 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,429,492 times
I know several people that lost homes in the fire and all of them plan on renting in the same area where they lost their homes: kids go to school there, their friends are there, it's home to them.

So in Eastern RB and parts of Poway where the fire devastated large areas, I'd expect that rental prices per square foot to increase dramatically based on simple supply and demand. AND the fact that insurance is paying for most of these rentals.....insurance companies are pretty generous when it comes to renting an equiv home. For instance, I know of a few places in RB that are renting for $3500 that would have rented for about $2700 before the fires; insurance is paying, so no harm no foul for the people looking for a home while they rebuild. Also, if sellers were smart, they too would rent their homes there and ride this downturn back up, then sell. Selling now is just a bad idea. These areas are nice, and will always be nice, but at this point in time, they are getting hammered. There are nice little homes in RB/Poway for sub 500k these days.

This is a temporary anamoly and within a year's time, it will be back to normal and the rental prices will come back down and costs per square foot will rise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: