Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 08:53 AM

122 posts, read 790,796 times

Advertisements

Just wondering about the rental market...

In good ole NYC, the rental market is supertight. You might call to ask about a listing you saw on Craigslist earlier that day and already it will've been rented. It seems like everyone's competing for a place to live, even the crappy apartments in bad neighborhoods and especially the slightly-lower-than-average-rent "bargains." Forget about jumping on those sweet deals!

Okay, okay, my point is: Is that the case in San Diego? Being that, according to many people on this forum, everyone wants to live there? I don't know how often this particular topic has been discussed on this forum, as it seems there's more talk of buying, not renting, property. Though if it has, I apologize profusely in advance. Thankya.

(P.S. Not that I'm seeking advice on HOW to find a rental, but please no talk of brokers, as I won't be able to afford one. Thanks!)

(P.P.S. Also I very sweetly beg of yall, no comments on the above postscript in the realm of "You can't afford a broker?!!?!?! GASP! Well, don't come to San Diego, it's expensive!" Kay? Kay.)

Last edited by woofenstein; 03-30-2007 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: just coz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 01:24 PM

107 posts, read 1,008,089 times
I want to know, too We're moving to Oceanside in June, I'm going out next month to start looking at places, and want to know if we're going to be "competing" for a place or if it's a renter's market. We're looking for a 4bdrm house.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:30 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,497,401 times
San Diego is nothing like the rental market in NYC. There are no rental brokers here.

Basically rentals in SD come in 2 flavors: massive complex in good shape or run-down mom-n-pop complex that hasn't seen a repair since the early 80's. Of course there are exceptions, and you need to find them.

Personally for me living in a large apartment complex is a fate worse than death, so my advice - use Craigslist and drive around, look for cottages, single-family homes, granny flats, or "investor-owned" new condos.

Compared to the costs of ownership renting in SD is very cheap, but be prepared to deal with a lot of dumps along the way.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:08 PM

122 posts, read 790,796 times
I've actually been looking at Craigslist for a while, and the cottages in the Hillcrest and North Park areas seem attractive. I saw a gorgeous one for $900the other day and thought, "wow, tons of other people will want to rent this place."

I VERY much agree with you, Sassberto, about the complex thing. Yech. I'm not quite sure what it is about complexes that turn me off. The uniformity? That they sometimes resemble housing projects? I dunno.

As for the dump thing...it just might be a matter of taste! I've lived in several "dumps" (grew up in a railroad apt).

Sassberto, you seem so informative and patient

One more thing: what is it with San Diego (or California in general?) and condos and complexes? Is it something about the way they're built that somehow complements the weather?

Old 03-30-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofenstein View Post
One more thing: what is it with San Diego (or California in general?) and condos and complexes? Is it something about the way they're built that somehow complements the weather?
The "resort-style complex" and "gated complex" are probably tied to the large retiree / vacation / second home population here in SD.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofenstein View Post
I've actually been looking at Craigslist for a while, and the cottages in the Hillcrest and North Park areas seem attractive. I saw a gorgeous one for $900the other day and thought, "wow, tons of other people will want to rent this place."
Those are the places you want to grab... 20's spanish cottage complexes are one of my favorite things in SD.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:58 PM

4,544 posts, read 12,415,392 times
Some 15-20 years ago I was moving from one apartment to another. I had given my 30 days notice and my sister from the Bay Area was absolutely stupefied that I had done so without lining up another location to move into. As the above posters have said, San Diego just isn't that kind of a market.

First, no rent controls. If the economics are right more apartments will be built somewhere. That means there's always just enough, or more, apartments to keep the market liquid.

Second, Organized Crime doesn't have its thumb in the construction business driving up the costs of new buildings, though there have been some attacks by eco-terrorists. They've burned down of all things under-construction apartment complexes which are so much more land efficient than Single Family Housing. Go figure.

But like Woofy, I've lived in my share of dumpy apartments. They are much cheaper than the big complexes. They are what make it possible for the people who are told they can't afford San Diego, able to afford San Diego.

Ok, take this final point with a grain of salt. I've looked at a couple of California Cottages in my rental days, and they always seemed to smell kind of moldy. I LOVE the look. I would have loved to live in one, but dang they were small, and the smell. I don't know where that came from. Maybe you'll find the ones that weren't formerly inhabited by funky, incense burning, one-with-the-earth, no-soap-using types.

Old 03-30-2007, 05:03 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,438,164 times
I've found the online classifed ads in the Tribune pretty good:

http://sdhomessearch.signonsandiego....earchIndex.asp

Old 03-30-2007, 09:56 PM

620 posts, read 1,747,880 times
Drive around and search. Some rentals only advertise with a sign posted in front. Last time I rented, in Leucadia (Encinitas), we found a very nice 2b/2b for $1,000. It was a four unit with a huge yard about 3 blocks from the coast. That was in 2002 though.

Old 03-31-2007, 02:39 AM

107 posts, read 1,008,089 times
Thanks! I feel better knowing that I won't be one of many vying for a home Last time I rented was in Stockton in 2000, just when the influx of Bay Area people began, which drove up real estate and made the rental market crazy! I'm so glad I don't have to deal with that kind of situation again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego