Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2012, 12:40 PM

5 posts, read 12,075 times

Advertisements

Hi, this is my first post.. I'm Hamani, 17 years old (turning 18 on November). From Kuwait.. I'm moving to the US after summer.. gonna spend 8 months in an English Program and after that joining college.

I'm gonna spend the first 8 months (Which I'll be studying English in) in a fun city.. I'm planning to make this the best 8 months of my life before I join college and study engineering..

So first 8 months I'm picking a fun city and after that I'm picking a more urban/colder/relaxed city (probably Philadelphia, Seattle or Chicago)
BUT BUT BUT I might continue Uni in the same city if I really liked it and if I see that it's fun but livable and home-feeling city.

But now I have to decide which city I should go for the English Program first 8 months. Oh did I add that I'm on a scholarship? So they pay for the college and I get $2200 each month for housing and stuff.. So my budget is $2200 monthly...

Now I need to pick a city.. I was thinking about Chicago, as I REALLY love the urban lifestyle malls and stuff. But I talked to a friend of mine who have studied English there and he told me that It's only fun there if you're in a group (I'm only going there with 1 person which is my best friend).. so is this true? Is Chicago fun only if ur in a group?

Also lately I've been thinking about San Diego and Los Angeles alot.. I've been in LA last summer for vacation and I loved it.. So I wanna ask, Is it the best choice? Which one is better? Why? What's the difference? And is a budget of $2200/month enough for housing and entertainment?

OHH also, I'm gonna study English in USC (Los Angeles) or SDSU (San diego) so which one of these uni's are in the best location? and which is the best choice?

That's all, I'm waiting anxiously for your replies and I'm really glad that I've registered in this forum.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 03:29 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
I don't know anything about the English courses at USC or SDSU.

LA is a bigger city, so there will be more to do there. Both LA and San Diego are sprawling. Will you have a car or will you need to rely on public transportation?

For engineering, USC is more highly esteemed than SDSU. Even better than USC would be a school like MIT or UC Berkeley or Cal Tech.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:35 PM

127 posts, read 424,172 times
You might find it difficult to live on $2200 monthly in any big city, LA and San Diego included, unless you lived further out from the actual city. If you did live further out and had to commute in, you will need a vehicle or lots of time to commit to using public transportation. I would think you'd have an easier time in San Diego than LA living on your budget (but I could be wrong about that, I don't have much insight on living in/near downtown LA.)

Old 02-27-2012, 12:12 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,487 times
No, you can do it. You can get an apartment for around $1000, and then you've got $1200 to pay for everything else.

For a college student, that's enough.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:18 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,764 times
Your budget foro san diego is completely possible. You could get a studio ro one bedroom, or a two bedroom split between you and your friend, or do roommates with others, and share a house.
But, as mentioned, SDSU means you do need a car. SD requires a car, perhaps even more than LA in my opinion. Anywhere you want to be in SD requires a vehicle, for the most part. In LA, you can get by living in that area, wher eyou will study, and enjoy what the city has to offer. SDSU is in a residential/urban area, but not located near anything you'd want to do, so to speak.

That said, SD is a great place to spend several months. Not sure what you mean by lifestyle malls in chicago, but southern califronia as a whole is completely malls. Not very pedestrian. You loved LA; San Diego is quite different than LA, but still has the so cal weather and vibe. Just slower paced [relatively speaking] and obviously not as cosmpolitan. But SD has better beaches, more of them, cleaner and easier access, and better air quality. And you can do day trips to LA or Mexico.
SD is a nice place; most people enjoy visiting or studying here.

Chicago is completely different, so it's really a matter of what type of experience you want. Good luck-sounds like a great opportunity for you!

Old 02-27-2012, 12:22 PM

47 posts, read 107,286 times
go to Chicago

Old 02-27-2012, 02:03 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Ask about Chicago by posting in the Chicago forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego