Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 11:58 PM

17 posts, read 31,505 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm new on here and just want some general advice and opinions.. I visited San Diego last April and totally feel in love . I plan to move out their this August. I visited North Park and Hillcrest and like those areas.. I am just going to list a little about me and a little about what I would like and open it up for discussion. Thanks in advance !

About me :

I am a 37 year old with one 7 year old son.

I have a Bachelor's in Exercise Science, 7 years of airline customer service and am currently substitute teaching.

I have a natural ability for adapting and love culture and diversity. In 1999 I moved to NYC with out knowing a soul.

What I would like:

A bungalow or apartment in North Park or Hillcrest that is in an area that has good schools (my son is very academic). A room-mate would be okay.

I decent job in health, wellness or customer service that allows me and my son some room for travel and entertainment.

I great experience and new friends

Let me know what you think !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 10:25 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
Get the job first, or else be sure to have a sufficient money cushion to rely on while you hunt.

For good schools around North Park or Hillcrest, think charter schools or private schools.

I like those neighborhoods, too, although we don't live there. For diversity those are probably the best San Diego has to offer.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:18 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,273,184 times
As far as a job with your background, you might want to look at the Optimum Health Institute. I have a friend that teaches there and has nothing but great things to say about it. Big international base of clients with repeat business. Nice facilities as well from what I hear.

If you were living in Hillcrest etc, it would be a very short drive to work.
San Diego campus

Old 02-18-2012, 12:56 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
Also check out University Heights, and South Park. Albert Einstein Charter school in South Park has resulted in a huge influx of young families here. Just came back from the Farmer's Market and it was like Romper Room there- and that's a good thing, I like the energy that all these new young families with kids brings to the area.

SOUTH PARK San Diego

Old 02-18-2012, 09:30 PM

Thanks guys, very helpful information. I will definitely look into the Optimum Health Institute ( I have never heard of it and looking to Albert Einstein Charter school. Are Charter schools free of charge ??

Old 02-21-2012, 08:01 PM

I should also have about 10 thousand saved when I arrive. With a job, does that sound like a reasonable amount? Also is basic car insurance a ton in this area ? ( kinda assuming it might be )

Old 02-21-2012, 11:30 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,401,604 times
Charter schools are free of charge. They are part of the public school system, but have more autonomy from the school district and the teacher's union. You will be responsible for driving your child to school.

With a job, $10k in savings will be more than adequate, especially if your car is paid for and in good mechanical condition. You don't want to move here and suddenly have a $2k car repair. It's the job thing that's going to make this move difficult to measure out.

Car insurance has many variables, such as the type of car and your driving history, but I would be surprised if your cost was outside $45 - $60 per month.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Charter schools are free of charge. They are part of the public school system, but have more autonomy from the school district and the teacher's union. You will be responsible for driving your child to school.

With a job, $10k in savings will be more than adequate, especially if your car is paid for and in good mechanical condition. You don't want to move here and suddenly have a $2k car repair. It's the job thing that's going to make this move difficult to measure out.

Car insurance has many variables, such as the type of car and your driving history, but I would be surprised if your cost was outside $45 - $60 per month.
Thanks again.. I just found out my state has the highest car insurance in the whole nation I pay 193 a month for basic (plpd) but also have a few speeding tickets (lead foot).

My car is payed for and is in good repair and that is the only way I am spoiled by my Dad. My Dad won't buy me a pair of shoes but will pay for almost everything related to my car including the car itself

According to my research both Grant Elementary and Birney Elementary (public schools ) have good ratings ? Any information on those two ?

Old 02-22-2012, 06:07 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
If you have speeding tickets, and they're under three years old, your insurance will be sky high out here.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
If you have speeding tickets, and they're under three years old, your insurance will be sky high out here.
Yes I know.. but I still think it will be less than here. Michigan has the highest rates in the nation, California is about 8th..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego