Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2009, 06:53 PM

119 posts, read 317,004 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am a newbie and looking to relocate to SD. My bf and I currently live in downtown Mpls. We make $80,000 and are recent college graduates. We currently pay $1350 for rent (which includes 2 parking spots).

What we are looking for: a nice apartment with a washer and dryer and 2 parking spots for around $1500. We were hoping to both get jobs in downtown and rent an apartment in the GasLamp area. We love being able to walk to work and only drive for recreation.

Is there a place to buy groceries downtown… trader joes, whole foods, etc? Is there a store such as Target in walking distance to the GasLamp area?

Anyone have an idea of the salary comparison between Mpls and SD? I am wondering if we can secure similar jobs if the pay will be comparable?

And lastly, I have found some job postings that I am qualified for and interested in; do SD companies have problems hiring people from out of state? I heard somewhere that they prefer to hire locals… I hope not. I am just itching to get to California.

Thanks everyone for the amazing info!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 07:02 PM

195 posts, read 973,239 times
$1500 will not get you very much in the Gas Lamp. I wasn't anywhere near there and I paid $1200 for a 2bd/1bath apartment (rather crappy)... just off the I-15 near Scripps Ranch.

The closest Target to the Gaslamp is probably out by Sea World as I recall. But I think there's a Trader Joes on Washington blvd.. That's a few minutes drive north of where you plan on living.. Good luck with your move. I'm sure you won't miss the nice freezing weather in MN..

San Diego salaries are not nearly as high as you might like them to be. Even though it's near LA where pay is very good, SD pay is on the lower end of acceptable. People move there for the weather, the friendliness, the nightlife, the beach.. definitely not the prices and the pay. Of course there are plenty of rich peeps out there.. Just take a gander through La Jolla and University Town Center to witness this.

To answer your last question, no SD companies do not have a problem hiring out of state.. Although I am a california native, I had been living in the midwest when I got laid off and subsequently was hired by an awesome company in SoCal. I only moved away because I found a better opportunity back here. The company lifestyle is much better out there.. more happy hour visits with your co-workers, more parties, more social life. None of that here... but living is certainly more affordable where I'm at!

Old 01-05-2009, 07:05 PM

Thanks for the message - that's too bad that $1500 won't get us much. We originally thought of living in LaJolla - but it felt far away. We only need a one bedroom or large studio and are willing to pay up to $1700/month. Glad a trader joes is close by.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:12 PM

195 posts, read 973,239 times
$1500 will get about a 1bd/1bath with 1 parking spot for a year long lease. I don't know what kind of quality, nor amenities, but that's the minimum.. approx..800 sq ft.. Maybe that IS good enough, but I have a family so it wasn't enough for me.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:28 PM

thanks windfarmer - 800 sq ft is a lot. I was hoping for around 600 or more. That makes me happy! BF and I don't need much space - we will be out enjoying the beauty of SD rather than in our tiny home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego