Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2007, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,171 times

Advertisements

MY brothers rented a studio apt 1year ago and now the city came and said it's illegal and now the landlord is trying to make them leave one brother is disabeld and she took there stove and frig out . they have no money or no were to go so they are going to stay and sue her she keeps going in and out of there apt and bothering them how csn we mske her stop and were do they stand .some one help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 11:26 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,183,935 times
If it's a studio and there are several "brothers", it may be that the lease only allows for one or two people to live there.

The landlord has to give 24 hours notice to enter the apartment.

Usually landlords like to keep tenants unless they are proving to be trouble. Why not ask your brothers if they are playing loud music at night or having numerous visitors? There must be some reason owner doesn't want them there anymore.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:34 PM

36,669 posts, read 67,645,533 times
You need to contact your local Eviction Defense Attorney. Usually its free or very cheap(like $40 per visit) and they can delay any further action long enough for them to figure it out. Contact your County Courthouse and they will point you in the right direction.

Call ASAP..like tommorrow.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:38 PM

I found a website for such a place in San Diego that can help them.

Tenants Legal Center of San Diego
5252 Balboa Ave, Ste 408
San Diego, CA 92117
Tel. 858-571-7100

If I were them, Id call around 8am TOMMORROW.

Tenants Legal Center - About the Tenants Legal Center (http://www.tenantslegalcenter.com/html/the_tenants_legal_center.html - broken link)

Old 11-07-2007, 11:39 PM

4,546 posts, read 12,425,571 times
You all are forgetting the most critical part. The city has discovered this apartment and has said that it is illegal. It could be it violates health and safety laws, or was unpermitted, or some other reason. Regardless, the city has probably cited the landlord. Therefore, the Landlord has to shut it down and evict the occupants.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:41 PM

Since one brother is disabled, you might also want to contact a Social Worker to see about getting disability i.e. money

this link might offer some advice on how to proceed. Its a Bay Area site but Im sure they can point you to the correct place in San Diego.
California Disability Alliance (CDA) -- Advocates for Health (http://disweb.org/cda/ - broken link)

Dont give up, there's always a way to help those who need it.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
You all are forgetting the most critical part. The city has discovered this apartment and has said that it is illegal. It could be it violates health and safety laws, or was unpermitted, or some other reason. Regardless, the city has probably cited the landlord. Therefore, the Landlord has to shut it down and evict the occupants.
If she submits an eviction notice to them-IT CAN BE STOPPED-actually delayed until a hearing with a judge which can take up to 2 months in the meantime, the landlord has no recourse and can take no further action. In fact, on that eviction notice which should provide 5 days for them to respond, there should be a number that the tenant can call if they cant afford an attorney. I suspect its going to be the one I cited above.

Because of that 5 day-notice..its imperative to contact a lawyer right away.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:57 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,183,935 times
In all my 47 years, I've never known a landlord to evict someone without having very good reasons, usually numerous complaints from neighbors. It costs money to evict, and it costs money to get someone new in there. I'm saying that as someone who has always rented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego