Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 10:12 AM

5 posts, read 5,104 times

Advertisements

My friend and I have been more than interested in moving to California, more specifically SoCal. We are aware of the vastly different lifestyle over there than here, but we would like to learn more.

We would like to know what a good location would be for 21/22 year olds. We have decided that anywhere between LA and San Diego would be ideal for us, we have been searching around the Oceanside area.

We want to be within a 10-15 minute drive to the beach, but we don't mind driving up to an hour for work.

Any and all information is more than appreciated! We just want to be in SoCal and know we'll enjoy ourselves no matter where we end up, we'd just like to find a nice area to live in!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 11:05 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Where will you be working?

Old 01-08-2013, 11:16 AM

5 posts, read 5,104 times
Don't have set jobs yet. I have a bachelors in Public Health and my friend is finishing esthetician schooling in June.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:54 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Ideally you'll have jobs before you get here. It's still difficult to find jobs, in every field, in San Diego. Do as much as you can from where you are - research your potential jobs at the very least. If you don't already have jobs, then have six months' or so funds to hold you over. In that case, also have a Plan B in case you use up your money before you find income.

Anything west of I-15 will be 10-15 minutes from the beach.

For people your age, I would think you might like Pacific Beach is party central (in case you like that sort of thing). If you're not so much party-people, then look at the central neighborhoods such as downtown/Little Italy/East village or Mission Hills/Hillcrest/Normal Heights. North County coastal might be of interest - Solana Beach/Encinitas.

North County inland tends to be families, without much night life. That might be boring for you. South County is older, with some questionable areas. It does have Eastlake, which is newer and nicer, but is also family-oriented.

Ask in the Los Angeles forum also, if you haven't already done that.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:52 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,862 times
As someone who's just getting out of school, you're used to being poor. And you will be, until you find a job. You will have to accept taking a low level, dead end job until you can find something better because rent is not free.

Do you have any savings? Help from family? That will cushion the blow.

If not, do a budget, and see if you and your friend can make it on eight buck an hour jobs and how long you can do that for.

I am not saying that you will have to do that forever, just that initially, that's what you'll be able to get.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:21 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,445 times
Definitely prepare for challenges. I know a women with a bachelors in PH who did an internship from her local university -SDSU at the largest Public Health employer in the county ...that hires almost exclusively local grads. Trust me. She did an amazing job in her internship but there were no positions for FOUR years. She did get hired eventually (and most certainly deserved to) but she had inside connections because of her prior internship, is bi lingual (a near requirment in public health in san diego), is an amazing worker, looks like a runway model....lol I only bring this up because lately posters think looks are important for professional, educated females. I digress...be prepared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego