Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You think the Chargers will move to L.A.?
Yes 28 46.67%
Hell no! 32 53.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 08:02 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,172,180 times

Advertisements

If they move to L.A, they should be renamed the "Los Angeles Smoggers" LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 06:58 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,172,180 times
The more I think about it, let them go! I think it's a childish game Spanos and the team are playing with this "Give us a new stadium or we will move". If they do move, they won't have a very high fanbase up there and it will just turn more into Anti L.A. Pro S.D.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:31 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
Um, I think they had a stat in the paper saying the Chargers have sold out and not had a local black out for 48 straight home games. At 8 home games per year, that's ... well, a lot of years (my math's not so good). I think it said since 2004, so 6 years.
So saying they "can't sell out" is not accurate. Also, I wouldn't count on attracting a new team if they leave, unless we build a new stadium. Just cuz it worked in Cleveland and Baltimore doesn't mean it'd work here.
You mean the "threat of blackout unless someone steps in and buys X amount of tickets" every home game? Come on, don't kid yourself. Almost every game except the donks and raiders was a threat of blackout with some miracle buyer at the end.

It's NOT a full house if they threaten blackout EVERY game.

I'm a big fan and there isn't ONE SINGLE GAME I could not have bought tickets over the counter to. Try that in Denver?

Here's your math, about 10 on the first page.

http://www.google.com/search?q=threa...rlz=1I7GGLL_en

http://www.google.com/search?q=threa...2e0df67dbfff88

Old 09-10-2010, 11:44 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,852,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You mean the "threat of blackout unless someone steps in and buys X amount of tickets" every home game? Come on, don't kid yourself. Almost every game except the donks and raiders was a threat of blackout with some miracle buyer at the end.

It's NOT a full house if they threaten blackout EVERY game.

I'm a big fan and there isn't ONE SINGLE GAME I could not have bought tickets over the counter to. Try that in Denver?

Here's your math, about 10 on the first page.

threat of blackout chargers - Google Search

threat of blackout chargers - Google Search
You said the Chargers can't sell out, but the truth is they've sold out 48 straight home games. I don't see the argument you're trying to make. It doesn't matter if the games sold out 6 months or 6 minutes before kick off. They sold out. End of story. A threatened black out that sells out is a sell out, right? If the TV station in town bought a few thousand tickets to donate them to the military or poor children or whoever, it's stil a sell out.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:26 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,841 times
I just wish the fan base was SD and not full of LA gangsters. A true LA team would help reduce the influx of raider type fans. As it is right now, they might as well be in LA.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:42 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,769,387 times
Charger games BARELY SELL OUT each and every year. This is another problem for Spanos, if they are constantly worrying that games are not selling out, it can influence the decision making process to pack up the Chargers and head North.

I mean it does make sense to relocate the team to LA because of the bigger market, and huge population to enhance it's fan base which leads to yearly sell outs.

I wouldn't be surprised if something like this happens in the future, as much as I luv my Chargers, the stadium issue is honestly the last straw in order for the team to stay in SD. The biggest selling point that the organization could make to help get votes for the new stadium, is to hopefully make the stadium Soccer friendly, that means possibly having an MLS team here because Soccer is huge in San Diego, we just need a Pro team and I guarantee you those games will sell out faster than any Charger game. There needs to be more than just Football being played there as well, other sports, and possible entertainment venues could be held at a new stadium, that's why this issue is not just a major one for us Charger fans, but for downtown SD and the ability to attract other kinds of sports that could share it with the Chargers..

Our fans are great, but I have to agree with some people, we have too many transplants that mess up the fan base or "Defect" it. Because SD is a huge tourist destination, it seems like certain fans come and go because of people constantly moving in and out of state. You get a ton of Boston and Pittsburgh fans or NY fans, sometimes you feel like your being outnumbered by outsiders since so many East Coaster have moved here. We still have way more Charger fans than Padre fans thats for sure, I never see anyone rockin Padre gear, unless it's baseball season, and that can be a rare site depending on where you live and if the Pads are winning or not .

Old 09-12-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Charger games BARELY SELL OUT each and every year. This is another problem for Spanos, if they are constantly worrying that games are not selling out, it can influence the decision making process to pack up the Chargers and head North.
I'm sorry, but this statement is false. The fact is, the controversial ticket guarantee the city had with the team for years ensured that every home game would sell out. The city was obligated to buy remaining tickets, and it cost us taxpayers millions of dollars. Once again, the Chargers haven't failed to sell out a home game since 2004. Let's not lose sight of reality people. Facts, ok?

Old 09-12-2010, 08:56 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
I'm sorry, but this statement is false. The fact is, the controversial ticket guarantee the city had with the team for years ensured that every home game would sell out. The city was obligated to buy remaining tickets, and it cost us taxpayers millions of dollars. Once again, the Chargers haven't failed to sell out a home game since 2004. Let's not lose sight of reality people. Facts, ok?
Ok, we get it. To YOU a sell out can mean an entire empty stadium so long as some Company pays for it. Ok, you are correct in the "fact" it sells out. Have you seen how many empty seats there are during those games? It's a lot more than a few thousand. The numbers released always seem to be much higher than turnstile counts.

You call that a fan base and one willing to pay for a new stadium? I sure don't. There is a very good chance the Chargers are leaving.

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 09-12-2010 at 09:11 AM..

Old 09-12-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ok, we get it. To YOU a sell out can mean an entire empty stadium so long as some Company pays for it. Ok, you are correct in the "fact" it sells out. Have you seen how many empty seats there are during those games? It's a lot more than a few thousand. The numbers released always seem to be much higher than turnstile counts.

You call that a fan base and one willing to pay for a new stadium? I sure don't. There is a very good chance the Chargers are leaving.
Oh please. It's not like the TV station comes in and buys 25,000 tickets. They buy a few thousand, sometimes a few hundred, in a stadium of 62,000. Your position gets shakier by the moment. First, you said the Chargers can't sell out their games. When you learned they've sold out 48 in a row, you now shift to "well, a lot of those are no shows." What's next? I can't wait to see.
And by the way, it looks like next week's home game against Jacksonville will be blacked out, so you can celebrate then.
The point of this thread to is to ask whether or not the Chargers will move out of town. The short answer is, who the hell knows? They might, but then they might not. Why some of you must resort to lies and rewriting of history in an attempt to prove your point is beyond me.

Last edited by Encinitan; 09-12-2010 at 09:26 AM..

Old 09-12-2010, 10:13 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,131 times
Don't let the door hit them on the way out. I'm tired of Spanos black mailing the city and the truth is we'll be better off on average without those welfare queens sucking up public money. Maybe then we can get the potholes fixed since we won't have to give Spanos his $1 billion blackmail payout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego