Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 03:47 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,050,321 times

Advertisements

This just in today ...

Man sentenced to 56 years for trying to kill cop | The Desert Sun | MyDesert.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 04:23 AM

2 posts, read 11,230 times
Default Desert Hot Springs

There is a reason housing prices are so low in Desert Hot Springs (locally known as DHS).
I would not live in DHS, it's the ghetto of the Coachella Valley. There are much to many gunshots for my liking and gang activity. With small children, no way. That's my opinion.
I like the housing prices there as well, but prefer to pay a little more and live in the Palm Springs, Cathedral City area. There is crime everywhere, however, it seems every time I have been in DHS I hear gunshots.
Choose another city, you'll sleep better at night.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:17 PM

13 posts, read 35,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Let's just say that if I were to live in Desert Hot Springs I'd have to change my name to .................................................. ...... TWEAKER TOES!!!!!!!

Post some pictures of your toes and let us judge.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:57 PM

67 posts, read 156,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leximarie9 View Post
o come on ppl i lived in dhs all my life and i like it. there is alot of nice ppl and the schools are not that bad. i loved middle school and i went to the C school for a year and had the most amazing teacher. its all about how u raise ur kids.
Do not move to DHS. It is trash. Believe what these posters are saying. They are telling the truth. I was in your shoes once and have been here for 12 yrs now. It's bad. Especially bad if you have kids. NO..run the other way!

Old 03-16-2014, 11:08 PM

6 posts, read 13,452 times
Default Desert Hot Springs

Mission lake is not to bad.

I have a house there & i can't keep a tenant. Our street is really nice with some older homes & newer ones. It is so bad my tenants are moving they fear for their lives. The city council built duplexs & tore down the value of our homes. Duplexs have 7-10 cars parked on the lawn most of the time. Loud parties- ,

The neighbors to our left. Trash all over the back yard. They hang their laundry on rakes . 7 people living in a 2 bedrm house . 3 of them live in the garage. They let their dogs bark. Loud music any hour of they day.

One of the men came & threatened my tenant because his dog was wet. Pointed his finger at her & said you got my dog wet.

Neighbors to the rear. just as bad. Dogs bark all the time. Told him his dogs were disturbing my tenants peace. He said what the f do you want me to do ? They are dogs. He has been issued 2 fines and doesn't care.

7 murders since Jan 2014. I am heartsick & disturbed that I have to let my house go . We have owned it since 1981 & I don't see the value's going up .

All the good neighbors are leaving even selling at a loss.

My tenants are afraid to go to the grocery store ever. Gunshots wake them up. They can't sleep. I think it's the neighbors to the left.

When we moved there in 1978 it was a nice quiet town to raise your kids. Came here to buy a house . Yes very reasonable but now the values aren't worth what we owe. Schools were good we had lots of programs- Swimming day camps. It started in about 1991 when they built duplexs & triplexs - Gangs started moving in.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:28 PM

Trust me when I tell you DHS is really a bad place. My tenants hear the shots

Old 03-17-2014, 09:21 AM
xdr3jq2cw

n/a posts
Default 18 Year old Cold Case in DHS finally being addressed

Got an email yesterday from the family of my friend who was killed so many years ago in DTown. This is the article associated with it:

DESERT HOT SPRINGS: Man charged with murder 18 years later
March 14, 2014 by Bradlee Locke

A man has been charged with a 17-year-old’s murder in a case that went cold more than 15 years ago, according to Riverside County Sheriff’s Department officials.

Joseph Ray Messer was originally identified as a person of interest in the 1996 Desert Hot Springs case, but was never arrested. On March 6, the Riverside district attorney’s office charged Messer, now age 37, with murder.

On July 27, 1996, deputies responded to a call at 1:07 a.m. that gunshots had been fired and there was a victim down in the 13000 block of Ramona Road, according to the Sheriff’s Department news release. Deputies arrived to find Jamie Lynn Brown with a gunshot wound to the chest. He later died at a hospital.

Moderator cut: a snippet is enough

Last edited by Count David; 03-21-2014 at 02:13 PM..

Old 03-21-2014, 01:40 AM

1 posts, read 3,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalkid_1 View Post
Got an email yesterday from the family of my friend who was killed so many years ago in DTown. This is the article associated with it:

March 14, 2014 by Bradlee Locke

A man has been charged with a 17-year-old’s murder in a case that went cold more than 15 years ago, according to Riverside County Sheriff’s Department officials.

Joseph Ray Messer was originally identified as a person of interest in the 1996 Desert Hot Springs case, but was never arrested. On March 6, the Riverside district attorney’s office charged Messer, now age 37, with murder.

On July 27, 1996, deputies responded to a call at 1:07 a.m. that gunshots had been fired and there was a victim down in the 13000 block of Ramona Road, according to the Sheriff’s Department news release. Deputies arrived to find Jamie Lynn Brown with a gunshot wound to the chest. He later died at a hospital.

Lived in DHS for most of my life (35 years)

I was also one of the "scrub" skaters from DHS, we may have crossed paths at one point. I knew Jamie and his brother very well. I was supposed to be at that party that night but had to work for someone who called off. I believe it was Danny Lang who called me the next morning. I still remember exactly what was said and to this days I get the chills thinking about it.

For all of you saying ANYTHING positive about this place.....your high! I lost 8 friends in the time span of 1992 to 2000 when I finally got out there. Even when I was a contractor I refused to work out there.

If you go to Kings market on Palm Dr you will seriously find pimps working their ladies.....2 years ago one the "girls" had both of her orbital sockets crushed when she didn't "work it right". Oh and the owners will let the low life customers buy things on "Kings" credit. Don't believe me, look on the opposite side of the cigarette display, there are small pieces of "receipts" of the amounts the customers owe.

The city has switched from city police to riverside sheriffs more times then you can imagine causing chaos and leaving cases open and cold.

Jahi Collins was shot point blank in the head while he was sitting in a car with a friend, Bobby Wilson at a park. Bobby is now paralyzed. I went to school with both of them.

Chi-Lu "Tony" Chen was shot in the back of the head leaving the "quiet" Vons shopping center.....A former co-worker of mine was very good friends with Tony. There was no motive. Just another "gang" shooting.

I met Gabriel Lima in 1999 through a mutual friend. A few years later authorities found him with 2 bullets in the head.

I could go on and on but I think most of you get the point. In 2011 my wife and I moved back thinking that things had gotten better....nope...they are MUCH worse.

A few months back a fire fight broke out killing one teen dead, then next day revenge was taken leaving another one dead. There were 3 homicides in that week alone.

4th of july is like a war zone. Full automatics getting unloaded in the air. This year for Christmas eve we got the extra special attention of 2 cars playing chicken down West drive 200 yards from the "newer" elementary school.

We decided to get out. 3 of my neighbors are also putting their houses up for sale.

Take my word on this. Stay far away from this town. Yes, you have some decent areas..... but looks can be deceiving.

-Kevin-

Last edited by Count David; 03-21-2014 at 02:15 PM..

Old 03-01-2015, 06:29 PM

I have lived in Desert Hot Springs, & I wouldn't let my dog live there. There are shootings at least once a week. They were just rated one of the most dangeours cities in the State.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:56 PM

105 posts, read 317,394 times
I would not move a family to DHS unless you desire for the youngsters to discover meth at an early age. The whole desert area is hit or miss. Palm Springs proper is marginally better, very GAY so safer and cleaner, but not so great for families. Don't roll the dice when moving to California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties