Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2012, 11:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,943 times

Advertisements

I'm a 24 year old Caucasian college student who is hoping to take advantage of the housing crash to buy a cheap house. I've been approved for a loan but my income confines me to the 50k area. I am unable to move away due to school and work and San Bern is not only very cheap but also close to my campus and workplace. The problem is that most of the available houses are in pretty bad neighborhoods. One potential house in the Alessandro neighborhood, right across from the elementary school. I would certainly take precautions, not go out at night, install a security system and the like. Houses in that neighborhood that are selling for 50k cost 230k before the crash so it seems like I could sell it for at least some profit in a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 12:28 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,985,158 times
About what you'd expect for that price range... lots of window bars, security screens doors, and BEWARE OF DOG signs. You'll need a lockable garage.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:52 AM

1,626 posts, read 4,018,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomDePlume View Post
Houses in that neighborhood that are selling for 50k cost 230k before the crash so it seems like I could sell it for at least some profit in a few years.
I wouldn't expect to make much of a profit in San Bernardino. Peak bubble housing prices are probably not returning to the inland empire for 20+ years. And most of that will be due to inflation, not some stellar appreciation of the real estate.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:33 AM

2 posts, read 2,943 times
I don't expect to be able to sell it for anywhere near what it was worth pre-crash but profit is profit. I would also be doing a good deal of improvements to it (security related most likely). The property i'm looking at is literally across the street from an elementary school, does that mean it's at all safer? Also, only one house I saw had barred windows.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:34 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,018,355 times
I thought the idea with fixing up real estate is to buy the worst house in the best neighborhood. I don't know if you heard that the city of San Bernardino just filed bankruptcy and the median income is $40k a year. If you just want cheap housing I'd say go for it if you don't mind the neighborhood. Just don't expect to make much of a return on your investment like you see on those house flipping shows.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:08 PM

185 posts, read 512,557 times
Just stay out of the housing market in San Bernardino. It's gonna be a long time before those houses are worth more. Even the high desert is probably a better investment.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:34 PM

5 posts, read 15,726 times
You'll die in San Bernardino. I'd rather live in Salton City than that hell hole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties