Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 07:19 AM

241 posts, read 713,528 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am looking to move somewhere warm in the US and have a good job offer in San Bernadino. Can everyone tell me about climate, seasons, cost of living, culture, activities, housing, crime, etc?

Pros and cons.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 07:35 AM

30,904 posts, read 36,998,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveydoe View Post
Hi, I am looking to move somewhere warm in the US and have a good job offer in San Bernadino. Can everyone tell me about climate, seasons, cost of living, culture, activities, housing, crime, etc?

Pros and cons.

Thanks!
Here are the weather averages for San Bernardino:

SAN BERNARDINO, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary

Pluses: Warm winters. Minuses: Hot summers

This area also has some of the worst smog in the US, although it's better than it used to be and that positive trend seems almost sure to continue because of ever improving emissions technology and ever stricter pollution laws.

Personally, I wouldn't want to live there. Not many amenities for such a populated area. Lots of traffic and smog. Cost of living is cheaper than L.A. but still more expensive than most other US metro areas, despite the fact incomes in the area tend to be low.

Lots of suburban sprawl and big box chain stores and restaurants. Crime tends to be above average.

I don't live in the area (although have been through there on numerous times), so I'm sure it has it's charming areas/things to do that locals would be more familiar with.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:44 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,220,463 times
I lived in Crestline, CA in the late 70's and early 80's. I would never live in San Bernardino. I think it is about the worst city ever. We went back to visit in Crestline for awhile in 1996 and went to San Bernardino and they had guards in parking lots and stores. Lots of crime and in the summer lots of smog. Yuck. I would think of living in Redlands or Yucapai before living in San Berdo.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:51 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,082,526 times
It's generally warm and dry. The Santa Ana winds in SB are among the worst winds in the nation. Crime is high and property isn't a very good investment. Schools are bad. Not much diversity. It'll be a happy day when no one in my family lives there.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:21 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,446,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
It's generally warm and dry. The Santa Ana winds in SB are among the worst winds in the nation. Crime is high and property isn't a very good investment. Schools are bad. Not much diversity. It'll be a happy day when no one in my family lives there.
What do you consider diverse?????

Within the city limits of San Bernardino, as of the 2000 census:
57.2% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race
28.23% Non-Hispanic White
27.12% from other races
18.41% African American
5.28% from two or more races
4.19% Asian
1.40% Native American
0.37% Pacific Islander

di·ver·si·ty (d-vûrs-t, d-) n. pl. di·ver·si·ties
1.(a) The fact or quality of being diverse; difference. (b) A point or respect in which things differ.
2. Variety or multiformity.

diversity [daɪˈvɜːsɪtɪ] n
1. the state or quality of being different or varied
2. a point of difference

Diversity: a variety.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:40 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,040,154 times
If you absolutely want to live in SB live above 40th street. Overall SB is dirty, high crime, smoggy & full of illegal mexicans. I lived in SB for 10 yrs & it was tough. The rent was not high so thats why i stayed so long. Im paying more for rent & utilities but its worth it. This was 11.6 yrs ago since i lived in the del rosa area of san bernardino. from 6-89/1-99. For 5.6 yrs (93-98) i paid 300.00 mo for a studio apt. Water, trash, sewer & hot water was included. Im lucky cause my rent never increased but new owners bought the apt complex & were going to raise my rent 50.00. Thats when i finally decided to move out of san bernaghetto. Today that same apt is around 600.00 month. Unfortunately my rent here in yucaipa has increased 11 out of 11 yrs i have been here. Im paying about 35-40% more then i did in 98. ca isnt a cheap place to live.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:35 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,658,979 times
Davey, I was born and bred in San Bernardino. If I told you how bad the place is, you'd think I was exaggerating. It's terrible. I have never, ever, ever heard one single person who is fairly well travelled say they like it. Seriously. If you simply had to live there, could you carve out a nice little life in the small island of streets in the far north area around Cal State? Yes. You'd still worry about crime there, but chances are that would be one of the few areas where you didn't have methheads and prostitutes and other unsavory sorts as neighbors. You'd probably never go south -- you'd just go into Rancho Cucamunga and what not for your shopping.

Crime, smog, traffic, ugly landscape, harsh weather ... SB has it all. I never planned on leaving (there's problems everywhere is a favorite SB native refrain), but when I spent my first vacation out of California at the age of 19, I never went back. I visit about twice a year. It's gotten far worse since when I lived there. Whenever people see my out-of-state license plates and driver's licenses, they ask longingly .. do you like it out there? How'd you get away? Don't tie the rock that is SB around your neck unless you absolutely have to. I don't even recommend living in the "somewhat" habitable areas in the IE that are near SB -- too close for comfort in my estimation. The closest I have lived to SB since I was 19 was Colorado, and even there ... I smelled danger in the air ... too close to SB for my tastes... I moved thousands of miles east.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:04 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,082,526 times
That was from the 2000 census (which didn't include illegal immigrants). I was in SB last January. I'd bet the results from the recent census say it's more than 80% hispanic (not very diverse especially considering whites and blacks will be less than 10% each as well).

Old 06-03-2010, 08:54 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,446,885 times
Lordy.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:00 PM

236 posts, read 553,027 times
I moved to San Bernardino in 2003. It was a experience I would not repeat. The city was poorly managed. Gangs, drugs, poor schools, no jobs, government cutbacks, etc. I am glad I moved. I now live in North Carolina. I moved to Redlands and found it had a picturesque look but employment was lacking. So I decided it was time for me to leave California. The high cost of living was getting out of control.

Last edited by PrincessJoyce; 06-03-2010 at 11:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties