Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 01:21 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
I've never been selected for a Jury. The key is to act out of the norm. The first thing I do is I put a holy cross pin on. Always tell the judge you are racist or don't trust the government or hear voices in your head or that you are mother teresa reincarnate and you will be let loose lickity split.
I bet the judge has seen & heard it all. The guy waiting behind me to give his jury summons to the clerk was a felon & the clerk excused him but the felon told me his buddy was not excused from jury duty cause he was a felon. If everyone was excused from jury duty cause they didnt want to serve on the jury then our justice system would be more screwed up then it already is.

If my employer paid for jury duty i would glady serve. Its our civic duty & the right thing to do. We need more then retired people & govt employees in the jury pool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 06:55 PM

25 posts, read 90,435 times
I have received a few in the mail and never did anything about any of them. What are they going to do? Send out a warrant? They aren't going to do anything. People are such scared mindless sheep, it's pathetic. They are cracking down, how? How are they cracking down? They can not do anything and they won't. The state of California has no money, they certainly have no money to pursue people that don't show up for jury duty, maybe at one time, but not now!

Old 02-08-2011, 07:46 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,769 times
My dad has been on 11 juries from around the time he got home from nam to just last month. He told the judge he has PTSD and that he was a comptroller of a plant and that he needed to be there. The judge said NOPE YOU GOTTA STAY. I keep telling him to try my methods.

"The key to avoiding jury duty is to say you are prejudice against all races"-Homer Simpson

Old 02-08-2011, 07:59 PM

26,723 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyGoodin View Post
What are they going to do? Send out a warrant? They aren't going to do anything. They are cracking down, how?
They can now fine you. And they have cracked down in the past few years....students, people who own their own businesses, parents who care for young children and teachers all used to be able to get out of jury duty; no longer. They can postpone, and only once now. And yes, a coworker of mine had someone show up at his front door to verify if he lived there since he had not responded to past jury summonses.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:09 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I was in & out within 1 hour. My employer doesnt pay for jury duty so i was excused. The clerk was quite nice & the jury assembly room in the san bernardino county court wasnt too full. The clerk told me after the 3rd failure to appear jury summons if you dont show up you will be summoned to appear before a judge to explain why you havent reported or contacted the court after 4 jury duty summons.

If you dont report to court a warrant will be issued for your arrest (failure to appear) & you will go to jail guaranteed. Lets just hope you dont get pulled over by a cop for a traffic violation esp on a fri, sat or long holiday weekend.,,,.
I had a chat with two different judges about jury duty. One of the judges owned a bar across the street from court, our chat was over a few beers together. Basically when mailed a summons the court has a "burden of proof", they have to prove you received the summons. Many people give the court a receipt by appearing or responding.

That said. The only time I have ever received a summons was from a county 400 miles up the coast. I had worked there for two years in a city that did not deliver mail to homes, only PO boxes. The summons was forwarded to me at my home 9 months after that job had ended. I gave proper receipt and called the court and asked when to appear. I asked for hotel info and how much their per deim was. It took all the convincing I could muster but they did not want to pay for my travel and hotel.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:50 PM

10,029 posts, read 9,504,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
I've never been selected for a Jury. The key is to act out of the norm. The first thing I do is I put a holy cross pin on. Always tell the judge you are racist or don't trust the government or hear voices in your head or that you are mother teresa reincarnate and you will be let loose lickity split.
Not a very smart move, the judge can usually tell they are being lied to and can get you in more trouble.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:21 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Not a very smart move, the judge can usually tell they are being lied to and can get you in more trouble.
This happened to me. The judge let me off but he was a jack arse about it and made me sit through the whole process, and made me the very last person . That's what pissed me off the most. I knew the whole legal system was sham and a joke and yet I GOT PUNISHED for it.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:24 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,970,811 times
I threw my summons away at least 5 times when I was younger. Now this was from about 2004-2007. They had two different names for now and when I called to complain about that, they said I still had to go regardless of THEIR mistake. This was back when I was in school full time and worked parked time. I would have to miss school and possibly work. I went once after a 30 minute drive. I was told they have enough people and I should come back at noon. Complete utter BS, I wasted an hour, missed a class, and drove the complete opposite direction from school and work. I did not go back. I use to just threw them away like they were junk mail. They wised up making it a large piece of paper. Since I started working full time, I've only been summoned once. Of course, now I could care less going since I'd get paid for the entire day.

I never called to check in or anything. I just went on as if I never got anything and it worked.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:38 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times
I would glady serve jury duty if my employer paid for it. It would be a learning experience. Ill be summoned again next jan & hopefully i have a better job & employer.

The jury was their for my sister & i want to be their for someone elses family member.

Its our civic duty & ladies dont wear short skirts so we can see your booty cause you surely wont be picked for jury duty.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:28 AM

39 posts, read 58,363 times
I call B.S.

First of all it is not anyone's civic duty to be forced to court when one has committed no crime. They do not pay you what you make at your job. Also, people use your head...HOW CAN THE COURT PROVE YOU RECEIVED A NOTICE??? UMMM, YOU DID NOT SIGN A RECEIPT OF MAIL DELIVERY. Stop being scared. The forced actions of the court and failure to pay your current daily wage should be unconstitutional. I'd rather go to jail anyway than help the state, county or any city of California. FU California!

I am a born n raised so. cal resident, looking to get the hell out of hell soon. Also, I can't stand when the sun-baked morons say that Cali's so great cause your an hour away from the mountains,desert and beach...guess what...in Or and Wa state, you are too and it's much more natural and beautiful! As a Cali native...I pray Ca recovers so nobody will want to leave and ruin other states.

Last edited by atjl72; 02-11-2011 at 05:37 AM.. Reason: I don't need no stinking reason!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties